Barley a shoe in for Kona?!

Read this this morning.

http://www.everymantri.com/everyman_triathlon/2011/10/wtc-boss-says-that-coming-in-2012race-12-full-ironman-get-a-kona-slot.html

Not sure if the clock starts from now or historic IMs are counted, but either way I reckon Barley is at worst 4 years away from Kona!

Should we warn them or does their experience with hurricane season mean they should be Ok?!

Comments

• I think the decision is naff.  Kona is supposed to be the Championships not a frequent flyers club.

• LN-not really true as it has a ballot already.

• I know it does Oxy. Buying a place at Kona just seems weird to me.
  • Think of it from their point if view...you have to do12 branded IM as opposed to Challenge, Outlaw etc OR sign up to do 12 IM races.....great marketing ploy.

• it's basically a loyalty card innit.

"Buying a place at Kona just seems weird to me." - and you can already do that in their annual charity auction.

I don't see an issue with it - if people want to punt their money at doing 12 IM to get a Kona slot, that's their choice
  • I think this is a good idea, it rewards those committed to the sport and who support the brand.    Given the current lottery and that you can buy a place for something like $25000.

Does make me wonder what the likes of Rosey would think of this, I for one wouldnt have a chance of Qualifying for a 'proper' slot but would love to race at Hawaii, what a buzz image

I think existing races will count judging by the comments here.  There are however many many people that have more than my 12 branded Ironman starts (10 finishes), so it could be a long wait? 

"We’re going to start by the people who have done the most, and start by ticking them off every year and then get through all of them.  I believe the long term people who are committed to us, get the chance to come here.  Because it’s a magical place and it’s special and you deserve a shot at Kona."

*starts packing* image

• Looks like they include your history so the clock doesn't start again from 0 (given they're starting with those who have done the most).

I think it's a good thing personally.  Like most people, I'm never going to be quick enough to qualify (unless maybe I'm still racing when I'm 70) but would love to experience it at some point.  As Oxy pointed out, they already do a ballot so there are already a few non-really quick people racing it so why not a few more.  Surely those who have done 12 full ironmans have proved they are serious about the sport so why not reward them? 

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    I think existing races will count judging by the comments here.  There are however many many people that have more than my 12 branded Ironman starts (10 finishes), so it could be a long wait?
    So here's an interesting one - who else is close to the magic number of 12?  Assume you have the most Barlos.
  • I'm on 6 finishes from 7 starts I think.

Cant really see how this will work really - will it cut down on the lottery places ? They cant take away from the slots can they ?

I'm sure there will be plenty of American triathletes with 12 under their belt - seeing as just about every state has their own IM race.
  • They'll probably add/set aside 50-100 slots and double the entry fee? I'm guessing they'll make sure it doesn't impact qualification slots.
  • "unless maybe I'm still racing when I'm 70"

you'd have had to do sub 11:45 to win this year - 22 in that a/g... image

winner in mine (55-59) - 10:03:49 ffs!!!!
  • Barley - assuming that you'll do another two branded IM events in the not too distant future, will you apply?

I think it would be fantastic.  I'll start putting away a couple of quid a week now because I'd be there to support.

• Me too! Pirate tee's and grass skirts! Fab combo!!
  • Nope kk, the business is owned by venture capitalists who want/need to make money out of it.  Given the speed that most IMs sell out in there is still a way to go in providing more races.

I think its an inspired piece of marketing.

• They dont run Kona out of the goodness of their hearts. Its big business.
  • its only 90 US dollars to entry to lottery and it closes on 12th Feb 2012

not that I have been looking

• you are free to start a business anytime you like kk, there is nothing stopping you!
  • It's a bit of a stretch to call the idea inspired FF but the idea has obviously gone down much better than the idea last year's chairman had. It will be interesting to see how this pans out as said above that there must be a lot in the States that would have a decent number of IM races under their IM. branded belt so will the qualifying number grow? IM could end up being geriatricman by the time some people get their turn. image 

Let's just hope that in a couple of years when the brand is up for sale again, the new owners don't say 'Sorry guys. The waiting list is getting too long. We'll honour the waiting list for those who have done at least 10 but to the rest of you, thanks for the loyalty but we've had to cut the waiting list idea (OR) decrease the number of places for the age-groupers/pros. Lots of love, Mr Branson.

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    "unless maybe I'm still racing when I'm 70" you'd have had to do sub 11:45 to win this year - 22 in that a/g... image winner in mine (55-59) - 10:03:49 ffs!!!!
    Yeah mate but I think I may have done enough to qualify in Regensburg in that age group this year so would have got to the start line - don't quote me on that though!!!  I just know I got beaten easily by someone in the 65 category!
  • BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Wouldn't there be loads and loads (thousands?) of people who've done 12 or more Ironmans?  I'd've thought they'd have to raise the bar a bit or they could be inundated. 

• They surely would have an idea.

All they need do is stick all the entry lists in a database (probably already there) and do a name match. Some will be different people with different names, so the number will be too high. Some will be the same person with different names e.g. married name so the number will be too low.

Why 12 not 10 or 15 or 18 or 20. Becasue they know how many are 8, 9, 10, 11 and how many are qualified. They know how many places they have.

They also know they have a lot of competition from Challenge and others and each IM event is not unique due to its branding. But Kona is unqiue and they naturally want to leverage that.

Yes Kona is for qualifiers and there is a big difference between qualifying for Kona and getting a lottery slot. However I prefer the idea of regular entrants getting the lottery slots rather than jsut anyone.

I support it but would not want to the qualifying slots removed - that is what makes it special.

• I was discussing this with someone last night. 

I was pondering if someone was on say 9 or 10 IM starts and was debating between Outlaw, Challenge Henley, and either IMWales or IMUK, what would be the chances they would choose one of the IM branded events as it would one step closer to Kona.

It's a way for IM to try to secure some brand loyalty now that others contenders are coming to the fore.

Not sure what brand loyalty there would be for anyone over and above the proposed 12; I suppose just the chance to compete at Kona

• From one point of view, it looks like a great marketing idea

From the other, it's blatent profiteering by the evil pension funds that own the so-called Ironhoof World Triathlon Corporation.  I'm going to track down some retired geography teachers and beat the shit out of them.  Money grabbing c**ts.  What goes around, comes around.

• F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭
    I take that as recommendation to direct my pension contributions to WTC.

Anyway you have a blog to get up to date.
  • http://ironmanworldchampionship.com/qualification/

Lottery/Legacy entries now open, isnt clear if the Legacy entry requires 12 finishes, ive emailed for confirmation.  It also appears you still have to pay $40 (bargain)

What is the 2012 Lottery entry fee?
    Lottery Application $40.00 USD
    Passport $50.00 USD-Additional membership and second chance.

What are the eligibility requirements for the 2012 Ironman Legacy Program?

To enroll athletes must meet all four of the following requirements*:

1.       Athlete must have completed a minimum of twelve (12) full-distance Ironman-branded** races (includes existing and past events) by December 31, 2011

2.       Athlete has never participated in the Ironman World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawai’i

3.       Athlete must have completed at least one Ironman event in 2010 and 2011

4.       Athlete must be registered for an Ironman event in 2012

*Legacy athletes will be required to submit their information during online registration.
    2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike, 26.2-mile run

• It does say you have to have completed 12 so that seems clear.  It also says that they have 100 'Legacy' slots, but doesn't say how they'll be selected from all those that apply - will it be those with the most finishes (i.e. if you've 'only' got 12 you'll miss out to those with 14 or 15) or will it be random from all with 12 or more?

It also seems to exclude anyone who finished 12 ages ago coming out of the woodwork to claim their slot.  I don't suppose there are too many of those though.

• I assume that because the Legacy thing is lumped in with the Lottery, they will select the 100 Legacy entrants via a lottery - if you get my drift. be interesting to see if they publish the numbers of legacy qualifiers each year

• "Thank you for your e-mail and interest in our new legacy program. The requirement is that an athlete must have finished 12 Ironman-branded events, so you would not qualify for this year's legacy program. The good news is that you are super close, so hopefully you will be eligible soon enough! Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns."

Looks like ill have to enter IM Wales to hopefully get up to 12 finishes for the next lottery.