RunLiverpool Marathon 2012

Comments

• Whens the half marathon?  I was probably dense and not seen it,
  • It's in the spring matey from memory (which is dodgy half the time) I think it's the second or third week in march. nice tidy half through liverpool. organised by run liverpool as well.
  • That could be good timing for the run up to my first ultra.
  • When is the half - do you know the exact date?  I'd be tempted by the ladies 10k too as I've got family in Liverpool.
  • Just seen it's the 18th.  Now I've a decision to make: Inverness on 11th or Liverpool on 18th.  10th is my birthday.

I see 5/6 May is the bank holiday weekend? so that could definitely be do-able.

• 18th March I believe the half is. Hopefully this is not the same weekend the clocks go forward. Although I suspect it is.

• 18th March!! is Mothers Day - thats the only day I get breakfast in bed !! Its the
    25th when the clocks go forward.

• Thank god for that mish it was a nightmare to get ready in time for the half this year. I'm useless in the mornings.
  • Makes a change for the past couple of years its been on the Sunday after the clocks went forward,Will the half be the same as the marathon finish Alan as that was superb!!!!!!!

• I'm up for next years Marathon after my poor result last Sunday image

Unfortunately can't make the half though (it's my mates stag do in Newcastle on the 17th, also St Patricks day so it's a double excuse to get wasted!!) which I'm gutted about as I've set PB's the last two years and I was hoping for another!!!

Anyone who hasnt done the half should definitely do it, it's a great course (even Parliment St is easy enough after less than 1 mile!!) and as I said, I've set two PB's on it imageimageimage

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Another one for my bookmarks image

With regard to Sefton Park I refer you to my hubby's 6 yo niece Emma who said it was wonderful because she got to see Auntie Susie 4 times without having to walk very far. Now you can't argue with a 6 yo can you!

Alan dear, maybe you could divert the course to go past all the places I worked in Liverpool. In no particular order we have on the city side: London Road, Exchange Buildings, Old Hall Street, India Buildings, Allerton Road, Victoria Street, Bold Street, Sefton Park & Mossley Hill. On the Wirral side: West End Birkenhead & Hamilton Square as this year. I'm sure there's another one but I can't remember it now image
  • Redhead wrote (see)
     Alan dear, maybe you could divert the course to go past all the places I worked in Liverpool. In no particular order we have on the city side: London Road, Exchange Buildings, Old Hall Street, India Buildings, Allerton Road, Victoria Street, Bold Street, Sefton Park & Mossley Hill. On the Wirral side: West End Birkenhead & Hamilton Square as this year. I'm sure there's another one but I can't remember it now image
    Did you get fired a lot?!!! image image
  • Hi Alan,

Thanks for last week, now making plans already for next year.

How would registration work for people that are unable to arrive until later on on the Saturday night, and not able to attend the expo?

• Putting the drummers at the tunnel exit was inspirational.....brilliant 'cos I was a bit peed off with the hill by then and seriously considering sliding up backwards on me bum. Chester is the week before Liverpool next year. Anybody know if it's possible (or sensible) for a "normal" person to go for 2 in 7 days...?
  • cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭
    Hey folks .. great to see you all on here.

I'm seriously considering the Liverpool Marathon again next year. Gotta work out my life though because I've got loads of plans over the summer and this year I really struggled to keep up with training while away on my hols!

Would love to do it and even if I decide against it will probably still lurk around this forum!
  • cidermonkey wrote (see)
    Putting the drummers at the tunnel exit was inspirational.....brilliant 'cos I was a bit peed off with the hill by then and seriously considering sliding up backwards on me bum. Chester is the week before Liverpool next year. Anybody know if it's possible (or sensible) for a "normal" person to go for 2 in 7 days...?

I agree that the drummers on the exit were awesome - I totally forgot about the hill and fairly scooted up out of the tunnel to see just what the strange thumping roar was all about. A definite for the 14/10/12 "must have" list.

Yes - two marathons in 8 days is doable for a normal runner. I know several people who've done both Brighton & London back to back in teh last couple of years. This year a friend got her PB at Brighton, and then a PW in London a week later. She was doing it for charity, so the whole point was to run one really well, and then just take it easy and enjoy the second. All I would say is that London is a lot flatter than Liverpool... so possible yes, but not if you want to do them both in a fast(ish) time.

• All I've done since last weeks marathon is look at what races I can do next, (no road marathons though!) I will definately do all of the Run Liverpool events next year as Alan looks like he could do with a few quid.

I've also sent an email off to join a local running club, and I'm looking at what new gear I can buy especially a water proof jacket as I will almost certainly be doing a 30 mile trail race (which accepts walkers as I intend to do a proper walk/run strategy for it, so it does not count and no one can shoot me!)

This running lark is so addictive. But it's not cheap, although saying that in my newish job one of the blokes does some work for asics and he gave me a brand new pair of Gel Kayano 17' which fit perfectlyimage

• Redhead... You worked in a lot of places in Liverpool.. Thats a lot of street corners! image only kidding. Was great seeing you on the day.

Scouse, lots of good running gear in Aldi & Lidl this week. Compression tops & leggings, jackets. Pretty much cover you for winter. The compression gear is great. Nice waterproof jackets too, and a light weight one too.

StDomingo.. Nice to see you're around and want to crack it.

Okay I'm in. Doing the half & the full. Was lots of fun, and far too many nice people talked to over the months and on the day itself.
  • Cheers FRC I'm determined to run it next year. Maybe this year came a bit soon for me. I've been running less than 18 months and my legs seemed to fall apart. I haven't run since I tried to run the Wirral half with you. Going to try a run tomorrow if that goes ok I'm going to go and join Liverpool RC on tuesday.

• The HM plan is to relocate the start / finish to the Pier Head from the other side of the Arena but I have to negotiate land use!! I can't answer questions on the 2012 marathon as we haven't had the debrief for 2011 yet. It's 18th March and the week before the clocks change.

We have a number of things to look at for the marathon registration but I am unable to advise at this time. It's a bit early for that kind of detail!!!

• St Domingo probably see you at LRC on Tuesday , the coaches just ask you a few questions about your running experience ie times you have run and then you get placed in a squad .
  • I'm defo doing it again and so is everyone else who done it from LRC amazing event that will only get bigger,tough but brilliant and the parks where nice!!

• Cheers FRC, might pop along to ALDI later, I did buy a compression top from there that's great, but the compression shorts weren't much cop to be honest and chafed quite a bit after a 10 mile run and they're coming part after only a couple of runs..

Alan, people do seem to want to know every specific detail about all the races already. image 

• Hello all,

I know I said a definate never again but.......image........begingin to rethink.  I wasn't happy with my time, as I know I can do better, just didn't happen on race day. image

Now that I can walk again and reliving the monets via youtube clipsimage  I am begining to think that maybe, just maybe I should give it another go.

I mean I live local, no extra expense, just have to see if I can fit in training with all hectic lifestyle I have.  The sence of pride I have when I  see my medal is up there with my happiest memories.

Just next time would like to be able to finish in Beer and Lard style. lol

Beer & lard you kept me going round Sefton Park and you never even knew it, kept shuffling past you then walking til you caught up and off I went again.  So thanks mate. I never said 'hello' cause I'm too shy lolimage

Now back to lurking for a while

Shell

x x x

• Scouse, Lidl have the base layer stuff. For winter you can't complain , 9 quid for top with sleeves, 9 for full leggings. Ran in them last night and pretty good. once it gets cold, will be very handy.

All my gear last week bar top & shoes was Aldi s best! Worked great... so compression top, shorts & socks, running shorts,, grand total of £25. The compression socks are a life saver, hold your calves, knees in, and stop aches & pains.

StDomingo, what gym work do you do for those legs? I do 2-3 classes a week, one is specifically lunges, squats, weights. Other classes like a circuit do similar but all over. Makes a huge difference to legs. Been doing this nearly every week since mid November.

Shel, you shouldve said hello at the start. B&L legend !

I managed 10 miles last night so legs in good nick 5 days after,

Anyone still drinking lots of water? I've been having 2-3 litres a day even yesterday.
  • FRC great minds...... I've been looking at circut classes today I'll probably join lifestyles gym and Liverpool RC then I should be good to go. Lesson learnt.
  • Well done Alan on getting such great reviews for an inaugural event image

I am most jealous at having missed out on one of those fab medals. My fault as I was committed to supporting at Ch*ster instead!

Will be at Liverpool next year though image 

• Go morticia !

Chester is nice I'm sure.. Liverpool way better, tunnel & finishing area. image

StD. Seriously it works.. core, weights body pump, 2-3 hours a week.
    My legs are like strong table legs compared to last years spindly things image

Also I backed off after 20m bug run, good long mileage and no races till last Sundays big one.

• Did a Parkrun 5k at Pennington flash today, first run since marathon (been on a few short bike rides) managed to get an ok time (22:58) but much room for improvement although it's nice to know my legs still work after last week!
  • Have I read it correctly?  You have to register for the race at an Expo?