RunLiverpool Marathon 2012

Comments

• Warkie hope you feel better to be able to run this again, I remember you from the thread last year ( changed my user name long story but had a stalker lol )

hope all is going well Alan with the organisation this year, are u doing the fab four run this year like u did last year ( not that I can come but I so loved that, it was excellent, i have just recently been looking at my photos of it and had such a laugh )

• JPenno - arrangements for the start area are in the race instructions.

1-3medals - no Fab Four run this year. Too much to do on Saturday this year.

I've had two Trolls but no stalkersimage. I think both were Redsimage

• Hi all, I'm new to the forum (which is great by the way!), new this year to running and massively excited about my first Marathon on the 14th.

Much as I've loved reading how everyone's training is going and how that links to their targeted finishing times, it's also made me feel incredible nervous now!

From a 'standing start' on new years day, when I ran/walked my first mile in something like 15 minutes I slowly started upping my fitness and mileage until I did a local HM in April in 1:49:53.  I then did the really tough Dartford HM in July in 1:41:13 which I was really pleased with and since then I've just been upping my long runs and miles per week overall.

So whilst I felt like a sub 3:45 was in me and my HM time suggests I could do a 3:31, a lot of people who are talking about regularly running 50-70miles per week (I've peaked at 40 run + 10 cycled) and have done more +20 runs than me (my long, long runs recently have been 16,10,18,10,20,22, so my longest 5 don't hit the 100 mile target that's been spoken about) are suggesting their target is sub3:30 to sub 3.20.

So, d'ya think I should just be happy with finish my first Marathon in a respectable time, seeing as I'm new to running this year?  Should I be more than content with a sub3:45 target? Or could I realistically push for a 3:29:59???

Either way, I will absolutely love the experience of course.  I just think getting some clarity on my target will help me sleep over the next couple of weeks!!

• Hey BraveFace - I did a 5 miler last night, and feel back on top today so thats good.

I also got a 12 miler this weekend, then 8 next so looks like we're on track.

re the weather; I've trained in light t-shirt etc all summer and will use this for the marathon. is anyone wearing more "winter" clothes for the marathon? I think I'll stick to what I trained in.

G

• Martin King 8 - yours is a journey into the unknown (well for you at least!) I wouldn't saddle yourself with a time in your first marathon as you will inevitably become a slave to it and it will add pressure to your day.

Just run how you feel and see where it takes you. Aim for a comfortable first half, or at least until you get out of the Mersey Tunnel (14 miles) and then take on the last 12 miles as best you can. Just keep it steady and I think you will do well as your training looks to be both progressive and consistent.

Exceptional running from zero in January. Inspirational for those who doubt themselves.

• GP77 - I have done all my training in a vest top but I do wear compression tights so my legs might be a little warmer than my top half! but i am not going to run in anything different to what I have trained in.  Hopefully the day wont be too cold, otherwise we might just have to run a little faster to keep warm !!image

• Good preparation - don't do anything new!! Stick to what you have been doing in your training.

• AlanRothwell wrote (see)

I've had two Trolls but no stalkersimage. I think both were Redsimage

If you want me to stalk you, you only had to ask.

*stands outside Alan's house with binoculars*

Welcome Martin! What an amazing story! I agree with Alan though - have an "idea" of what pace you'd like to do, but as you're going to PB anyway, don't be a slave to it. Enjoyment is what your first one is all about. Taking in the experience. Good luck!

• I'm going to stalk David Moyes after that tosh last night. Foe every Man. U there's a West Brom. For every Swansea there's a Leeds!!

Sorry, where were we... some emails about shuttle bus tickets coming in. Right! You can get them NOW from the office Monday - Friday if you are local. They can't be purchased online. You can send a cheque for £5 and I will send one out.

You can get one on Saturday, 13th from the Race Information Point at Mann Island. We will be the Equator Building which is the galssed section between the two black buildings on Mann Island.

If all else fails (!!!!!) then you can get one upon entry to the buses which will be departing from Debenhams in Lord Street fro 6.45am. When one is full it will move off and another one will come in.

Spectators can use them and the charge is the same, £5. Under 15s are free if you have kids. they will bring spectataors backafter the race but will stop at 11.00am sos you can't wander off around the course and expect it top be there when you arrive back at Birkenhaed Park (unless of course it is before 11.00am).

Or you can get the train... suggest you access at Moorfields as James Street isn't fully operational and the lift is always suspect!!

Birkenhead Park is three stops from James Street (Hamilton Square, Conway Park and Birkenhead Park) and four from Moorfileds, just add Lime Street.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Martin- you've done more than enough for sub 3.30. Set a consistent pace and stick as best you can to it and avoid getting carried away at the start. Don't worry about what we all chatter about on here. In the end we all - most of us anyway - get nervous. That's part of the fun. There's always a bit of the unknown with marathons. My first was 3.26 and was based on pretty similar training.

Liverbird- think I will keep out of your way!

Alan- I think I'd better read te booklet so I am familiar with the logistics. Wouldn't want to miss the start.
  • Hiya,

I'm getting really excite now ... and nervous too. First marathon!

Have to say am a little bit concerned after reading the little booklet that came with race pack where it talks about "Heartbreak Hill". That's not an inspiring name! Is it a really steep hill? How hilly is the course?

Also it sounded as though the second half of the course is tougher (not just mentally! image ) than the first - does that sound about right?

(Sorry for the ramble - obviously more nervous about the marathon than I thought! image )  

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

RunnyRR-dont worry theres no Hearbreak hill thats in the Boston Marathon. The run out of the tunnel is a bit of a climb but its over before you know it and theres the rundownhill before it.I believe the noise as you come out is amazing so you probably wont even realsie its there. I think you also have to go up hill for some of Parliament Street but thats not far either.The second half is always a bit tougher so dont get carried away in the first.Relax enjoy your taper and look forward to the race.

• I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but when/where exactly is the pre-race HQ on Saturday 13th? and can we get a luggage bag then? As I would like to make sure I am in Liverpool in time on Saturday to go to this and get a bag.

This may be just bad planning on my part, but:
    - I'm coming to liverpool on my own without a car
    - staying for one night at a hotel that doesn't offer luggage holding after check out
    - now found out I have to put all my luggage into a particular carrier bag, and don't particularly want to be doing this an hour before the race starts at the baggage lorrys. 

Looking forward to the run though!

• Hi Emily, not sure if it will be of any help but on p7 of the race pack there seems to be a good offer from theGym who are offering free showers, lockers and changing rooms on a first come first served basis. Go to www.thgymgroup.com select £5 Day passes and the date Sun 14th Oct and it says your normal £5 fee will be waived. Looks like a good offer which may well be worth you taking a look at. Depends how much luggage you have though!!!

• Thanks, yes I had thought about that and I see that it will be open early on Sunday (unlike left luggage at Lime St.).  I won't have that much luggage! (normal, daytime sized backpack) as it's just overnight for a run.

• 2old wrote (see)

RunnyRR-dont worry theres no Hearbreak hill thats in the Boston Marathon. The run out of the tunnel is a bit of a climb but its over before you know it and theres the rundownhill before it.I believe the noise as you come out is amazing so you probably wont even realsie its there. I think you also have to go up hill for some of Parliament Street but thats not far either.The second half is always a bit tougher so dont get carried away in the first.Relax enjoy your taper and look forward to the race.

Thank you 2Old. Relieved to hear was a take off of the Boston marathon rather than a name the locals have given it! image

• I have a question: will we be strictly required to start in a pen according to our race number? It may not matter much as I'm planning a conservative start, but I think in my application (before training & much improvement, good signs from races, etc) I estimated I'd be 7.10m/m, and now I'm looking at 6.40m/m average. I'd rather go with the flow of traffic than be out of sync...?

• Enforced week off for me.

Right knee is still giving me some grief and cut short my planned 12 miler tonight and completed 9 miles instead.

Bit disappointing given 15 weeks of hard training and it happens now but thems are the ups and downs of running. It's not serious enough that it will stop me running the marathon but just a question on how it affects performance. Who knows, it may be a lot better after a week off and a good 90% of mileage is in the bank.

Hope everyone else's running is going well.
  • grmack, u did well to do 9miles good plan not to do anymore and just rest and not overdo it, I picked up a knee injury on my 20mile run 4 weeks before I did VLM and had to take a week off running altogether and only ran twice then leading up to it and still managed to complete it but yes it was a slower pace but at least I did it Sometimes you have to weigh up whats more important I guess, taking part and finishing and not worrying about a time, or going for a PB and perhaps ending up doing your injury more harm than good

Emily last year when we went the building was above a sports shop, everyone was very friendly there and I dont think it was too hard to find ( there was a pub not too far away either if i remember rightly that all the RW's runners met in there after for post race drinks, enjoyed that the most ;-0  )

• Emily - if all your kit is in the backpack - that will go in the plastic kit bag. I do the same for London - its no bother.

Chrono - there's no pens as such - just time posts. Lots of people don't even see these. If you are going sub 3 then you need to be close to the head of the race.
  • You will see in the Race Instructions, page 9, the time boards will indicate your race pace and predicted finishing time for both the 10K and the marathon.

All you have to do is line up there and you should be in time order.

Fastest at the front and slowest to the rear.

• Can I get a direct train from Birkenhead to Birkenhead Park?

• Thanks Alan, the instructions are very clear on those points - I was just checking whether I had to stick with the predicted time on my application vs. my current revised plan.  I'm very much looking forward to the day, seems impeccably organised, and I know there must be a huge amount of work goes into the event.

Cheers for the detail Ultra .

• VLM reject magazine recieved today!

• cybarev wrote (see)

VLM reject magazine recieved today!

Yeah me too.....

• Cybarev & Keep Plodding On - Sorry to hear that ...

• Me too.

I like waking up to a picture of a fat arsed Elvis calling me a loser......image

• LB, hadn't looked at it that way. You have a very interesting take on life!

• My wife phoned me at work to tell me off for ordering another running jacket!