RunLiverpool Marathon 2012

Comments

• Frustrating even taking a few days rest.

Itching to get out running to see where the knee is at but need to give it a few more days. Might try and get out for a short run on Wednesday or Thursday.

• Thanks! It's a biggie too image
  • About to set off for my last long run - hoping to tuck in 21 miles, have been behind with training due to work and injury so will be a run-a-bit-walk-a-bit'er on the day. Does anyone know the slowest time from last year? Obviously this forum is full of 'serious'image runners- just wondering how many of us mere mortals do it - don't want to be the only one crossing the line at 5 1/2 hours!!

Well done to everyone discussing just how much training theyve been able to get in - I'm in awe!

• Hi why do i do this?!  Another mortal here,so worry ye not. I fully intend to walk a section or two/three/four on the day, and I'll be doing it with my head held high. 600+ miles on the road gives us that right.

Just as I hope yours will, my finishing time will pale into insignificance in comparison to what I will have achieved come 2/3/4 o' clock on the 14th.

Hope your run goes / has gone well.

• Why do i do this - you will be quicker than all those who dont bother, well done, enjoy it, you can do it.

LB - happy birthday image

Gramck24 - be wiseimage
  • Why do I do this? - I'm another mortal too - it will be my first full marathon and having just also finally got a place in the London ballot (5th time lucky), I'm going to deliberately tak Liverpool at a nice gentle pace just so I can get a pb there (it being my 1st), and also a pb in London (where I'll take it quicker). 

Did Bristol Half this morning - it was heaving - proper people soup but managed to weave my way through the crowds in 2hr 03 which I'm gobsmacked at as my training runs have been around the 10 min mile pace tops - think I got a bit carried away trying to get past everyone rather than pacing myself properly.image

• Good job at Bristol Plod, I'd love to do that race sometime - lived down that way a few years ago, lots of happy memories.

Last long run before the big day for me this afternoon - 17 miles in 1:58, feeling good and relaxed. I did have a little tightness in my left achilles tendon this week but that seems to have disappeared without trace, good news. Every time a gust of wind came along, I'd think of those wind turbines over the way in Bootle... How much can the Irish Sea sock at us, eh?! Ah well, it's only a short section on the open seafront. image

• oooo nice to hear from some other mortals! have done 20 today in 4.5, so on course for finishing under 6 hours, won't be swept up!

Plod-on... 2.08 is amazing, well done you! I've yet to break the 2.40 barrier so I am mightily impressed!

I will be the one in bright pink towards the back randomly singing song lyrics to keep myself going due to no earphones, feel free to join in if you know the song while we're shuffling along

• Happy b'day LB. hope you've had a good time.

Why do I do this .... I'm a mere mortal too and did a right slow time last year but I finished it. Hope to do a bit better this year.

Plod on, I'm currently with friends inFishponds who both did the Bristol half this a.m. In a similar time to you! Small world. They really enjoyed it. Well done for your time. Training obviously has gone well.

Final lsr for me tomorrow. Had most of this week off cos of illness and only got a couple of shortish runs in.

See you all in two weeks!!!
  • 2 Weeks to go, I'm so excited!!

Thanks to all that replied earlier in the week, your encouraging words were really appreciated.

Had a really good week of training.  Taper week 1of3 so the mileage overall has dropped a little, but the 36miles I did I think were all quality.

I did a nice 6 easy 6 miles on Tuesday, 4 miles Wednesday with a nice quick finish, 4.5miles of Fartlek Friday (with a 7m/m 1st mile, gentle 2nd, then a few 1min 5.30m/m intervals before a gentle jog home), 8mies on the bike Saturday, then a Half Marathon distance in 99mins02sec which I was really pleased with, then a gentle jog the last 2 miles home!

I too got the 'Elvis Envelope' over the weekend, so no London for me next year, but I'm not too disapointed - just even more determined to enjoy Liverpool and even more motivated to set a good 1st Marathon time. Daring to dream about a 3:30!!

Hope everyone's training is going well.

• I have over eaten, drunk the first class lounge bar dry and come back from London on the same train as Sir Steven of Gerrard, who have me a right funny look as he went past. I'm only hoping he looked at my 4-0 badge and thought 'surely she's only 26'!! image

Tomorrow I shall run. I have about 10,000 calories to burn! image

Thanks fr your good wishes. Had a top day.
  • I was out over the weekend convincing local residents and businesses that you lot won't cause too much inconvenience on 14th!!

I thought about running but that was as far as it got.

Two weeks and counting...

• I promise not to piss in anyone's front garden!

Apparently that was the concern in Edinburgh. oo err

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Two weeks left and now getting excited

Alan I think Saw a link for parking in Liverpool 1 bit can't find it . Could you repost it please

My London GFA place has arrived. It's going to be I very different running in a 5000 person marathon rather than a 30k person one like the ones I've done in the past . There won't be any of the congestion with luck but looking at the route there shouldn't be any lonely miles

Can anyone tell me what happens to the Garmin I the tunnel? Do you wear a digital watch too?

Long run of 19 miles went well on Thursday. 16-17 tomorrow and that's it for them .
  • Just follow these instructions to register -

Go to the pre booking engine on www.Q-Park.co.uk http://www.Q-Park.co.uk  

Go to the Liverpool One booking page

Select the 24hr product

Set the date to the 14/10/2012

Enter “Marathon” in the PromoCode box

Click “Update price” to see the new price (the price will automatically be updated when the Check Availability is clicked anyway)

• Chronotopian - the problem with using the PARK as a toilet is that it really annoys Wirral Borough Council and other park users to the point where use of the park was reconsidered as part of the event debrief last year.

It would be helpful if everyone just used the toilets and not the bushes. Park staff will be on duty to dissuade those who ignore the request.

• Just follow these instructions to register -

Go to the pre booking engine on www.Q-Park.co.uk http://www.Q-Park.co.uk  

Go to the Liverpool One booking page

Select the 24hr product

Set the date to the 14/10/2012

Enter “Marathon” in the PromoCode box

Click “Update price” to see the new price (the price will automatically be updated when the Check Availability is clicked anyway)

• 2old  ..I think with the Garmin you loose signal for your pace and distance but the time will still tick over, when you come out of the tunnel I assume that it will catch up by assuming a straight line from the entrance of the tunnell to the exit but i'm just guessing and not entirely sure!! maybe someone who rang last year with a Garmin can enlighten us!

• Tapering... a process of rest and recovery prior to running an event.

That one has been thrown out of the window. Moving house next weekend and there is a lot of stuff to move!
  • Alan - those instructions are idiot proof re the parking. I know this because I've just booked image

• LB - I'm not sure what has impressed me more... you booking space at Q Park or EFC being 2nd!!

• Both are pretty spectacular! image

• Just thought I would pop in and say hello. Ran Liverpool last year, was a great marathon just a bit surprised numbers are down, could be the recession, the locals have decided only to do it once or there's something I am missing because it was brill.

Anyway ran the Loch Ness marathon yesterday, got a PB by 10 minues so made up with that, also knocked 50 minutes off my Liverpool time from last year, mind you I did have a disaster last year after illness and lack of training.

LN was brilliant, maybe not quite as good as Liverpool but good in it's own way, running by the side of Loch Ness had the most fantastic view just a shame the hill at Dorres was shocking!!

Good luck to everybody on the 14th - Happy Birthday LB, you don't look a day over 30!!

• Alan, I say this in all seriousness as not to put too fine a point on it, due to health reasons when I have to go, I have to go and there's no negotiating. Is it not the case that the bushes are being used because people pee more when they are nervous (I'm nervous already) and if there is no available toilet they use the bushes as opposed to soiling their running gear or generally exposing themselves?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating such actions if there are toilets free, but if there isn't what should they do? 

• With regard to the toilet facilities I have noticed on previous runs the use of mens urinals make a massive difference (sorry ladies), but getting the majority of men out of the queue and through the much quicker urinals certainly helps.

• You should've seen the loos in Hyde park for the Olympics. You had to start queuing the second you had peed because by the time you got to the front, you'd need another one. Thousands and thousands upon thousands and about forty loos. No wonder the men 'made their own'....