Options

RunLiverpool Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

I don't really have a target if I'm honest as my training was massively (self) interupted by a boozy wedding trip to Thailand for most of August.

What I've been telling people though is I'll be disappointed if it's over four hours and pleased if it's under 3:30. I've completed a 22 miler in 2:55 a few weeks back so I'll see how I feel on the day but I'll probably set off at 7:45m/m ish pace and see how I get on.

• Options

Good job andy, sounds like a plan. Your training paces caught my eye on an earlier post... I'm like you tho, planning on hitting a target pace, and see how I feel. The danger is to go out too quick, of course! 

Not long now... an easy 5 mile recovery run tonight, then I'm jogging down to the local Parkrun tomorrow morning - to volunteer! If I ran it, I'd go too quick, for sure! Can't resist the competition of those things. Plus York is a very flat, quick course.

• Options
    NykieNykie ✭✭✭

I'm volunteering at parkrun tomorrow as well, for the same reason! I do Roundhay, which is hilly but I'm faster there than at Harrogate, which is totally flat.

• Options

Been out this morning along the wirral section laying down the miles marker points and the weather was spot on. Hope for more of the same next week.

If anyone sees the bridge is closed on Tower Road PLEASE DON"T PANIC. It will be cleared and open for next Sunday. Give me some credit...

• Options

Hi Alan ran the wirral side a couple of weeks ago and was a little worried when I saw the bridge was closed, knew you,d have it sorted though

• Options

Just had someone in the shop reporting on the same. I'm sure most of you will be aware weve done this before...

• Options
    Do we have to register the day before or do we just turn up on the day with the number we got in the race pack?
  • Options

I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. Did my final long run today: 16km at just under my target marathon pace of 5-minute kilometres for 3:30 finish. Did 6 x 33km runs over the past 8 weeks - during the taper I've felt low energy and sluggish... hopefully I get my bounce back next Sunday. Super excited about running the Liverpool marathon. My last 26.2 race was in Manchester in April... I'm really hoping I don't need to deal with conditions like that again.

• Options

Prof - even if the weather is as bad as Manchester you'll have a couple of miles shelter in the tunnel.  Also they'll be no Dunham-style boggy path, nor uneven country lanes, nor baggage armageddon/hyperthermia endurance challenge.

• Options
    Ran 6 miles today and my lower back held up so I'm very happy 10 mile tomorrow. Can't believe how quick it has come round. Seems like just yesterday that I finished the marathon and swore I wouldn't do another and look here I am like a kid counting down the days till next week haha
  • Options

Just did a very strange run - 7 miles, had my iPod on (nothing out of the ordinary there), but ran to a play list of Michael Buble, Jamie Cullum, Etta James, Frank Sinatra, Diana Krall, etc.  That group of crooners and divas would normally be hopeless to run to but on this occassion it helped me keep my pace down by a good minute per mile slower than I'd normally go round at, just right for a taper run and quite pleasant actually!!

Hope everyone is getting on ok with the taper?  I've finally accepted that any more double figure long runs or speedwork sessions won't do me any good and to embrace the taper..... I say that now of course,  come Monday I'll no doubt be thinking "oh a 5 miler with some intervals making up the middle 3 will do me the world of good"!!!

• Options

GP77, I was wondering the same thing. Apologies if I've missed this in the booklet, but can anyone offer advice on registration on the day? Thanks

10 miles yesterday and struggled; the quick-for-me 5 on Thursday was clearly as stupid a thing as I had thought - I am indeed a moron at times. Recovery 3 today, 3 Tuesday, 3 Thursday and that's me.

• Options

Martin, my schedule has me doing strides up until Tuesday of next week - I think it's to keep the speed in the legs/neurones. Anything sustained at speed, though - yes, I'm leaving it out now.

Weird to think that now as we're headed into the off-season there won't be much more of that at all, for aaages. I like running fast, I'll need my tunes again for training to keep it interesting! image

13 miles medium-long +slow today with my training buddy. Looks clear and sunny outside, forecast to stay that way... a week today, come on!! image

• Options
    Your number in the race pack IS your registration. Your job on the day is to arrive at the start line in plenty of time and have a fantastic run!
  • Options

GP77 - no need to 'register' as you have all the event information you need for the day. Just turn up ready and prepared.

• Options
    Morning Alan! A week to go! How are you feeling?
  • Options
    Hi everyone! A week today and I will be running my first ever marathon! Really excited/nervous!

Training went well until the last 2 weeks, had a very sore knee on a run and it cracked the morning after - been to a sports physio and it feels okish, to be fair I have been pretty lucky to avoid other injuries in my first proper training schedule. Had a chest infection for a week but feel like its clearing up now so I have not run for 2 weeks!! Extreme tapering

My only concern is fuelling my body this week, what should I be eating in this final week?
  • Options

Hello Adam, another marathon virgin here. I'm not inclined to do anything too much different fuelling-wise than I did on my longest LSR.  As well as my normal food, on Friday and Saturday I will probably get more calories into me by drinking maybe 3 litres of SIS Go.  This should give me about another 1200 calories over the two days which I wouldn't be able to consume in food.  However, if you haven't used this stuff before, now is maybe not the time to start messing around.

My own concerns for the day are centred around whether my purple, black and blue big toe will be throbbing as much as it is presently.  Stayed clear of injury all summer only to drop a lump of granite on my foot this afternoon. And by jingo it hurt!!  I always knew there was a reason why I steered clear of gardening.image

• Options

Oh no - hope your toe is fine!! My chest infection is clearing up thank god - just got to nake sure my knee is ok - its taped up olympic athlete style and I have another course of acupuncture on it on Tuesday!!

• Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭
    Time to cut my toe nails me thinks!
  • Options
    Hello everyone not long to go hope everyone is fit and well and enjoying the taper. Ran 10 miles today felt good. Only 3 more runs left before next week think longest is 6 miles.
  • Options

Wish I could run at the moment James!!

• Options
    Well house move is done most things sorted... nice preparation a week before a marathon.

Feel as though I've just run 5 marathons on the spin.

Couple of easy runs next week (knee permitting) and I should be set to go.
  • Options
    Acupuncture? Is this something new you've tried Adam, or a long time user?
  • Options

Hoping for last weekend's weather for this weekend. Looked really good out there yesterday. I trust everyone is feeing good and looking forward to Sunday?

• Options

The Chester marathoners certainly got nice weather, more of the same this weekend please. As long as it's not raining at the start, horrible hanging around waiting in the rain getting cold.

Hillyish 7 Miler done yesterday and felt good. Really don't know whether to be conservative or not on the day in terms of pacing, I haven't done enough long runs to be confident to go for it. Think I'll start easy and try to slightly speed up from 15 onwards if I've still got legs.

Getting excited now & even more so after reading some Chester reports.

• Options

But I specifically ordered good weather...

• Options

Hi - what food are people eating the 3 days before?

This is my first marathon, and I was told to eat pasta for the 3 days before.

• Options

You need a refund Alan!