RunLiverpool Marathon 2012

Comments

• Beer and Lard wrote (see)
    Thanks CV3  click to rate the RunLiverpool 2011 Marathon

Thanks for the Link have added my review all positive not sure if I will be running but Mrs Warkies cheque will be in the post,we both cannot run due to child care issues when training so I will be looking for a spring Marathon instead

See you guys at the Half though and the Tunnel Run (and who knows i may run again next year image)

• Tunnel 10K is Sunday, June 10th. A thread will appear nearer the time.
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Alan, belated birthday wishes. Hope you had a good one.

Thanks for the link to rate the marathon. I've added my two penneth image
  • 4 Villages Link only a few places left as the entry limit is 2000 i think.
  • Me (in Sefton Park to anyone that would listen) I AM NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN !!!! SOB!!

Me (after a week) Well blow this for a game of soldiers! I'm entering next year asap! Bring it sub 4,30!!

xxx

• Any one know why is the link to next years marathon in the 'Events' section accessible to RW subscribers only?
  • Message for Paul Willgoss - given you seem to me complaining about the same things it isn't surprising you expect to be run out of town. Although it won't be by me as my event delivery skills clearly aren't quite up to scratch as far as you are concerned.

Why you think I have a 'cult following' for the 'runliverpool' race events is quite odd. I think the people that take part (yourself excepted) just get on with it and in the main enjoy the day. You complain about cost and the quality of T shirt yet presuamably have no idea just how much theses events cost to put on.

You complain about not being advised as to what the problem was at the start of the marathon. Guess what?? I didn't know either. There is a hierachy of people involved in delivering events like this including Merseyside Police, Liverpool City Council Highways Department and a hundred and one other groups - all of whom have to work efficiently on the day. Despite your negative attitude toward 'runliverpool' I have to say you are (once again) in the minority with your complaints.

Quite why you have to make reference to volunteers 'nicking Gatorade' is again odd. Have you not noticed the runners STEALING T shirts at our event. This happens at almost every event because sadly some people are greedy. That is a fact of life I'm afraid. Without the 500 or so volunteers we had you wouldn't have a marathon to take part in.

I for one am justifiably proud of what a small and dedicated team have achieved in recent years and I feel we are now begininng to pull in the level of resources needed to be able to invest in events and develop them to a standard that I am happy with. This is in stark contrast to the local authorities who see the events as revenue streams and contribute nothing to the races other than permission.

I will continue to work as hard as I can to improve the quality on every level and one thing I would like to point out is that I don't think I have ever met you or spoken to you personally. Conversely, most people on the RW Forum have. I think that is the BIG difference. They understand what I'm doing and they understand me. You seem to just want to complain.

Anyway, I'm sure you will find plenty of other events to take part in and hope you enjoy your running wherever you participate.

Alan Rothwell

'runliverpool' initiative

• Well said Alan... I'll be at the Liverpool half for the 4th year on the run to enjoy it as always !! And hopefully the full
    Marathon in 2012! Keep up the good work
  • Oh, Mr. Willgoss by the way and in case you weren't aware - I have already advised via that there will be UKA afiliation and technical T shirts at the forthcoming half marathon. On a personal level that doesn't really mean anything to me as I was never a club runner (didn't need to be) and I have never run for what I got at the end other than a sense of achievement.

This endorses what I was saying about continual improvement. I have strange affinity with David Moyes and I appreciate how difficult it is to compete with the bigger events when you have nowhere near the same resources - just complaints about cost!!

• On the subject of cost and what you get at the end of a race.

I've entered the Helsby 4 Villages 1/2 Marathon. Cost £20. Nice medal and thats it,  well last year there was a buff. You want a t-shirt you can buy a tech one for £10. I still think that's good value, if I did not then I would not enter.

I don't enter the race for the medal or the chance to buy a shirt. I enter to race on the course, though its not easy. Same with the RunLiverpool marathon. I could have done Chester it was a fiver cheaper, but was a bit of an out and back through the country route - try that and you wont complain about Sefton Park image. I'm not knocking Chester but I'll pay a fiver extra and forgo the tech shirt for the route, the support and drums. 

I'm not a cult follower Alan but I have seen the time and effort you and your family put in and can only say thanks.

• Well said Alan......and also to B&L as a RunLiverpool customer!!! 

I never thought twice about the cost when I entered the RunLiverpool Marathon.......I'm not flush by any stretch, but this was something I wanted to do, and I was willing to pay the asking price.  At the time I entered and had paid my fee, I was naive about marathon running, and for my entry fee I 'expected' nothing more than a medal and water stations (and the medal expectation was only because my mate got one for running the Belfast one!).

Whilst I was extremely thankful for the Gatorade on the day.....I was not bothered in the build up as I didn't expect it to be there.  I avoided the gels because I'd trained with a different brand.....and again...I didn't expect them!

The t-shirts/goody bags (and even the medal.....although this was a lovely medal) are all irrelevant when it comes to my memories of this run, and the pride and satisfaction I got from crossing that finish line (in a stunning location) will live with me forever (or at least until I finish faster in 2012!!!).

My only gripe with the day was the delay.....and whilst I realise it was beyond the control of the organisers.....the info could have been conveyed to the crowds further back a little bit better.

The marathon was my third RunLiverpool event (after the Liverpool Half & the Tunnel 10K) and since that I have now entered the Santa Dash 5K & next years Half.  I'm not part of a 'cult' following.....I just appreciate the fact that I can get to run in some of these great locations, and with others...regardless of what is waiting at the finish line.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    <ticks off another day nearer to 7th November on the calendar> image
  • image 7th by the way is a very inportant day for other reasons as well it's mummy cake's birthday. (all the best folks get born then) and also a good day for other reasons. image
  • Hello everyone!

What were  your fave bits?

Mine was coming out the tunnel, all the cheerleaders, the bit where i saw my mummy, the bit where i saw my charity, the bit where in sefton park the man was holding his dog and waving it's paw, making friends en route, the woman with a SWEEP puppet at the start wanting a photo with me because I had SWEEP in my top, coming down to the finish, getting a PB!!

How about y'all?!!xxxx

• image At the risk of being accused off being in a cult it would have to be abusing Alan before the start. The poor bloke looked terrified. image
  • taking pleasure in the misery of others eh Cake? I like it image
  • Sorry to be really dopey..but what is special about 7th NoV?Xx
  • Its my birthday Bex image and a few other by the looks of it.
  • OH!! In that case I shall declare it a national holiday!! hooray!!xxx
  • Big Al 123 wrote (see)
    taking pleasure in the misery of others eh Cake? I like it image
    image Just wait until outlaw matey. image
  • Am I one of the cult  ? as i gave a positive score...image..funnily enough I have been called a ...

"cult "before..or did i mis hear ...imageimage

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Bex, it's when entries open for the 2012 Liverpool marathon image
  • That one wins Redhead!! Can't wait xxx

• What is the cult thing?! Can I join if it's an obsession with the Lpool marathon one!?X
  • Bex...I believe the 'cult' thing refers to those people who openly express the fact that they enjoy RunLiverpool events even though they are obviously 'poorly organised cash cows designed to milk runners of funds to line the silk pockets of Mr Rothwell'. 

Now.....with my tounge out of my cheek....I have loved all of the Run Liverpool events I've taken part in, and I've even been critical of bits and pieces....but some people seem to believe that we are incapable of expressing what we truely feel, and instead choose to shower Run Liverpool with compliments simply because we are devoted to the organisers!!! 

What a load of crap, eh

• Cake wrote (see)
    Big Al 123 wrote (see)
    taking pleasure in the misery of others eh Cake? I like it image
    image Just wait until outlaw matey. image

I do believe there will be plenty of misery around to take pleasure in!!! imageimageimage

I for one know I won't be looking my usual suave self come the run leg image

• The cult reference is from Paul Willgoss who suggested that if he complains about any aspect of a 'runliverpool' event on the RW Forum (as he has in the past) then he gets criticism in return from people who don't agree with his observations.

The basis of his complaint is that he is a plodder and by the time he gets around he can't get a T shirt to fit him and / or people are packing up to go home.

In his rating of the marathon he stated the event was more of the usual 'runliverpool' poor organisation only on a bigger scale.

He is refusing to take part in any more 'runliverpool' races.

Mr. Willgoss - you have the ultimate power! Choice!!