RunLiverpool Marathon 2012

Comments

• AlanRothwell wrote (see)

Just to confirm the inclusion of the 10K will be the same next year. It's not possible organise any other way due to impositions for road opening requirements for commercial businesses along the route.

Think about it... whichever way you send runners off, the fastest runners following behind will catch up soonest because they are the same course.

If we could do it another way then I would have doneimage 

Alan - The only way around it as i see it is to run the 10k around Sefton park and finish at the marathon finish line.

Start off both races at the same time and there shouldn't be any conflict between the two races.

Although being honest, it didn't bother me. It's much worse at say London for those who haven't done London yet.

• Gramck were you wearing the Salamon S-Lab top ? I think I ran behind you for a few miles

• a decent flckr stream here with 1200 photos. seem to be in order, so I can see ultra cougie and 2old.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7697975@N02/sets/72157631769551787/

• My first Marathon, finished in 3.58.18 and was very please with result. A perfect day for a marathon. A Great event well organised well done Alan and the team.

• "Bagagged lorries left Birkenhead Park too early, left me at the start with a rucksack!
    In full: For me personally, the biggest gripe was having the start and finish so far apart, the logistics of getting to the start made a lot of people late for the race - added to the fact that the baggage lorries left early - you were knackered for a good time"

Really is no answer to this is there?

• Derek, the man has a point.  Why did you have to make the start and finish so far apart?  I would have got a much better time if they had been closer together. image

• Molka, it was my first and I couldn't walk really after it.  Couldn't even cross the roads before the green man cycle ended so was being offered piggy backsimage

I took yesterday off and iced/compressed/elevated the hell out of my knees and foot (which was oddly bruised) about 6 times for 10 mins each.  Today is much better and I can now walk almost freely again.

Just a comment for john Bush 4 who i finished pretty close to at 05:01:20.  Your annoncement came as i was coming up to the finish line behind you.  Good effort there as you looked to be in some pain and reading about your injury makes it all very impressive.  As bad as it sounds its amazing to see so many people pushing through pain and in many cases for some amazing cause, was inspirational.

I had serious knee pains beyond 13miles in training and wasn't able to push through it, I think it was too many miles too soon as I only had a few months in training.  But i was determiend to complete it for the charity we were supporting by hook or walk-stretch-run cyclesimage

• What an amazing race - missed it last year as we were on holiday just before it and so glad I got to run it this year.  Great atmosphere, great entertainment on the way round and fantastic support from the crowds.  Loved the experience of running through the tunnel as well.

Managed to beat my pb by 15 minute finishing in under 3:30 for once.  I put it down to actually carb-loading properly this time and bringing energy gels.  Being organised really made a difference.

The 10K didn't really annoy me, I've done the Belfast marathon previously and some people run it as teams of relay runners so there are relay points at 6, 13 and 20 miles.  Anyone who thinks it's demotivating seeing people finish after 6 miles, it is a lot worse watching fresh faced runners joining the race at 20 miles when you just want to lie down.

• DiogoDog wrote (see)

Derek, the man has a point.  Why did you have to make the start and finish so far apart?  I would have got a much better time if they had been closer together. image

Ok - I laughed!

Perhaps someone should let Dave Bedford know he needs to move Blackheath a little closer to Buckingham Palace? image

• Fit-Running-Cat wrote (see)

a decent flckr stream here with 1200 photos. seem to be in order, so I can see ultra cougie and 2old.

Thanks FRC, found a decent one, there's also some good stuff (esp coming out of the tunnel) here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nozzawales

• Ffs - I've done nine London marathons and the start line is 220 miles away from home. I've always got there on time. Some people are just too dumb. I'm amazed they can even run.

"Right left right left er what was it again ?"
  • DerekRothwell wrote (see)

"Bagagged lorries left Birkenhead Park too early, left me at the start with a rucksack!
    In full: For me personally, the biggest gripe was having the start and finish so far apart, the logistics of getting to the start made a lot of people late for the race - added to the fact that the baggage lorries left early - you were knackered for a good time"

Really is no answer to this is there?

I heard them announce the baggage lorries were leaving in 6 mins..

• AlanRothwell wrote (see)

26 minute video is on www.run247.com. Brilliant. Great work Paul Shanley!!

Put the kettle on, click on, re-live!!

I've watched this and you can see people's stories in their faces image

• Ultra cougie wrote (see)

Be fair you missed out "breath in, breath out".

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

2old - we should in theory get both medals. In doing 26.2 miles, we definitely did 6.2 image

Molka, dog oil - that's the answer. Available from health food shops like Holland & Barrett, it's in a bright yellow tub. It was originally used for greyhounds' legs after they'd raced and now more and more humans are buying it. It's like a Vaseline-type substance and you just rub it in. People with arthritis use it as well. Best of all, it's less than a fiver for a tub.

No dogs are in the tub.

• Kandinsky wrote (see)
    Fit-Running-Cat wrote (see)

a decent flckr stream here with 1200 photos. seem to be in order, so I can see ultra cougie and 2old.

Thanks FRC, found a decent one, there's also some good stuff (esp coming out of the tunnel) here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nozzawales

Ultra cougie wrote (see)
    Ffs - I've done nine London marathons and the start line is 220 miles away from home. I've always got there on time. Some people are just too dumb. I'm amazed they can even run.

I quite agree. I had people wandering around the help desk in LIVERPOOL trying to get race numbers at 8.40 in the morning. They didn't seem to see the urgency of getting OVER THE WATER for the half nine start. And they had no idea how they were going to get to the Wirral.

I've read all the reviews now and with the notable exception of "that one" they're all really very positive. When reading reviews you have the employ the "knock the top one off and the one who thinks it was crap" and take the median view. Well on average I'd say this has been received VERY positively and will be high on people's "to do" list next year.

• gee gee - yes that was me.

Whereabouts was that then?
  • Thanks guys for the replies it was my second marathon, feel much better now been on my feet for the last 2 days in work walking round like the tin man from the wizzard of oz,dog oil has been ordered will give it a whirl for future after race pains and niggles

• Pulled out this year's race due to achilles problem (volunteered at UPS water station..which was great fun but hard work!). Having seen first woman home with broken ankle feel as if I should have done it after all. She's certainly tougher than me. Next year even if I break my leg!

• OjomanOjoman ✭✭✭
    Ultra cougie wrote (see)
    Ffs - I've done nine London marathons and the start line is 220 miles away from home. I've always got there on time. Some people are just too dumb. I'm amazed they can even run.

Cougie, I assume this is you:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7697975@N02/sets/72157631785933065/

Sorry for chopping your feet!

• Regarding the Reddballoons comment (Event Rating) about baggage vehicles leaving early - they didn't. They left on time just as they do in the Tunnel 10K. 15 minutes before the start of the race.

I presume Reddballoons hasn't taken part in GNR? Now the start is quite a way from the finish!!

Time management. I swear by it... oh Race Instructions. Always a good source of information abut the day.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Alan-the video is great apart from it cutting away from showing a prossession finishers just  a few seconds before I finished so it may be that Im now dumped in a hard drive somewhere .Is there anyway of asking if that bit of film exists?I know the race and day are not about me but .......then again?

I cant believe some runners didnt work out they had to get to Birkenhead by a certain time!!!!

• gramck24 - just before the tunnel I think, it is all a bit of a blur now, I finished with mish1 I think. But I like that top, I was going to get one but they are so bloody expensive. what time did you do, I did it in 3.20 chip time and about 3.21 gun time. you must have finished and gone home by then because I didnt see you after the finish. I was wearing a blue Yorkshireman marathon top.  

• Very restrained Alan....image

Very restrained image
  • gee gee - Mish dropped me at mile 15 as i was struggling for some strange reason... still can't put my finger on what happened from that point as i was 100% fine. Finished in a disappointing 3.41.

Target was 3.20 and so i lost 21 minutes over the final 11 miles. Wish i could have another crack at it now.

• Cheers Ojoman ! Top photography ! image

• Gramck-Maybe thats where I went passed you then ? I know mish went passed me at the end of the sefton park loop and then I must have caught her up coming back down parliment street. I really enjoyed the whole day.

Alan -The only point I would make about getting to Birkenhead park was in James Street station there was only one guy on the till so it took a long time to get tickets. Maybe just like the parking at one if you could pay ahead online and then just have a print out ticket or ticket sent in the post people would have been able to get on an earlier train.

• Gee Gee - the same issue arose last year and was brought to the attention of the service provider!! I think two staff were on at Moorfields.... they are aware of the event...

• Alan - I can't believe you didn't have helicopters on transporting runners to the start line.

What kind of marathon are you making runners rely on public transport!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Alan-can you get the Duck tours to ferry us across to the start next time?

The exit from the Q Park at Liverpool 1 was a pain as I had to wait until 4 to leave and Im sure when I booked it said it would be possible to leave earlier.Next time(did I say That??) I will park away from the area so I can get a faster exit.

Saying that it was inspiring to hang around and watch the later runners finish. How can anyone run for that long? It must have taken so much out of them.