RunLiverpool Marathon 2012

Comments

• Still can't find a mistake on the medal. Looks utterly PERFECT to me!! And hard won image

Don't know if anyone fancies reading this write up of the marathon: http://dreamingoffootpaths.blogspot.com/2012/10/liverpool-marathon-urine-hurling-and-my.html

Obviously feel free to ignore image
  • I only found one error, and I only discovered that by comparing the 2011 medal and 2012 medal.  I still agree with what another runner said......the medal says 'marathon & official finisher'....thats good enough for her & its good enough for me.  

• The mistake is we never ran through Kingsway Tunnel image

• Ohhhhh. Thanks Steve! (Still my favourite medal ever!!) image 1st marathon so EXTRA special!!
  • And don't forget on the medal Sefton park comes after Albert docks that is the wrong way round
  • NykieNykie ✭✭✭

Oh, I didnt see the Sefton Park/Albert Docks mistake! I thought it was the 'L' in Birkenhead, making it Blrkenhead. Comparing it to the rest of the writing round the outside, it certainly looks like an 'L'.

• Still buzzing from this and annoying everyone, no blues for me yet!
  • We ran past the Albert Docks before & after Sefton Park.....not really a mistake in the same way as the wrong tunnel.  The medal would have to be the size of a London 2012 one to fit it on before & after, so fair enough to put it on once.

• Still no news from LCC! Very frustrating but once again will have to be patient I suppose. Not quite sure what there is to consider...

• What are people thinking about doing next? 

I wouldn't say I've got full on post marathon blues, but I definitely feel a bit aimless at the moment.  I think I might do a couple of Halves next year, but what is normal for people to do in what feels a bit like 'out of season'?  I'm in a bit of no man's land, not wanting to lose too much of the fitness I've built up this year, but also recognising there probably aren't too many races this tmie of year and the weather will doubtless make training more difficult.

I'm umming and ahhing about signing up for a Spring marathon - Liverpool was my first and I don't really know how to stick with one a year, or if maybe one in the Spring and then one early Autumn (Liverpool 2013, obviously!) would be a bit much for a newbie? 

• Think i'm going to give Edinburgh Marathon end of May a go, anyone else done this one?

• I am currently running in a lancashire cross country league which is hard and fast but good fun (puts you in your place a bit but still worth a go). I am planning a spring ultra in sussex part of the costal trail series. and I am thinking of either dublin or berlin next autumn. plus a few halfs along the way, prob do the yorkshireman again but this time just the half rather than the full.

• I've just signed up for Manchester in April (liverpool was my first!) I've got the bug!!

• Martin, I feel the same, guess its normal as the training/planning for a marathon takes over your life a bit!  I'm already registered for Brighton next April.  Was supposed to do it this year but got really ill three days before it and couldnt run - gutted!  However thats what made me enter Liverpool, and really glad I did.  I think you would be fine to enter a Spring marathon, certainly wouldnt be too much for you and would make sure you kept the training ticking over.  The time will fly in, especially with Xmas and New Year in between.  

Rdrunner, I did Edinburgh last year and I hate to say it but I thought it was rubbish.  Its got a bit of a cheek calling itself the Edinburgh marathon, as although it starts in Edinburgh city centre, it heads out along the coast to Musselburgh (via a really ugly power station) and ends up in the middle of nowhere.  It then doubles back and you finish in Musselburgh, which is a small town with not much in it.  As such, I found the support was really lacking (although small amount of locals certainly did their best) and I think it would be a massive let down after how good Liverpool was.  Just my opinion though, I know other runners who do it every year.  Oh, organisation was shocking last year too.  Passed over the finishing line, got directed into a residential street where me and hundreds of others stood squashed between parked cars waiting on a medal/goodie bag/space to move.  Nearly fainted from standing for so long, then almost froze to death!   They got shocking reviews on RW site, so maybe they've improved it this year, but I swore I would never do it again.  

Did my first run (six miles) yesterday, and felt really short and sweet after 26.2! 

• im doing the de ja vue track marathon in crewe november 4th 105.5 laps

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭
    Rdrunner wrote (see)

Think i'm going to give Edinburgh Marathon end of May a go, anyone else done this one?

Like DiogoDog I did Edinburgh in 2011 as well.  The start was well organised, it's one of the few races I've done where you started running well before the start line and didn't grind to a halt straight after.

It all went somewhat downhill after that.  The course wasn't great but then the route maps were available before entering, so with the aid of Google Streetview you can see what you are signing up for.  That said the change from tarmac to gravel track through the country park was murder for me.

As for the finish, DiogoDog had the same experience as me and my running buddy that day.  A complete shambles for an event run by a commerical enterprise.  Quite how any marathon organiser can think for just one whole second that it would be acceptable to declare pre-race:

"The finish line is on Linkfield road. There is NO ACCESS for spectators to this area. Spectators can watch the finish live from the reunion area on a jumbo screen. Do not attempt to reach the finish line."

is totally beyond me.  Thankfully there were lots of spectactors inside the last mile and their support was amazing.  The few quid I spent on getting my name printed on my t-shirt was the best money I'll ever spend.

Perhaps they sorted things out for this year, I don't know.  However,  I would say that running that day was toughest thing I've ever done (mentally and physically) and to try to deny people the much-needed support to drive them on to the finish is just plain crazy.  GSI Events (the organisers of the EMF) will never see the colour of my cash again.

• They like to make you suffer Alan. It makes them feel important.....
  • I think it was evident that the 2012 RunLiverpool Marathon was a big improvement on 2011. It's called development. I think for any event to be failing after a number of years is inexcusable, especially in a marathon context.

The event has to improve year on year on every level and I believe the RunLiverpool Marathon in 2013 (should we be allowed to deliver it) will be an improvement on this year. I don't doubt that. We just need the green light to implement our 2103 event plan!

• I'm sure there are better threads to ask this is, but heh, I loved training for this Marathon, loved running it and loved this forum - so I guess I don't want it to suddenly wrap up!

So, my question - Is it normal to lose weight in the days and weeks after a marathon? 

I waited until Thursday last week before venturing out for a short easy 4 mile jog just to remind myself what running was, did another 3 on Friday, then nothing until another easy 4 Monday night.  My right knee felt pretty uncomfortable in all of those, so I'm giving myself a few more days off and think I'll probable have a really easy remainder of October. 

Like most of you I'm sure, I was running 40-45 miles per week in the later stages of my training. My weight before tapering was about 74kg (I was 81kg in January before I started running), I probably went up a bit through the taper and carb loading, but I'm just surprised (pleased, don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased) that today despite practically no running and eating normally I'm slightly under 74kg again.

Is that normal?  Makes me wonder if I was loading up on carbs and energy drinks all the time for training (and always having a Mars Refuel drink after each run) which was negating my running efforts in relation to weight?

• Hi Martin same for me, I did the Loch Ness marathon 4 weeks ago and have done a bit of training since for a half but nowehere what I was doing and I've lost 2 kilos!

I've put it down to the diet returning to something more normal, no carb loading, no energy drinks and a lot less chocolate!!

• Liverpool 2012 was my first - and I loved it. One of the best days of my lift and I'll remember it forever.

I'm eyeing up one for next year (in the second half) - and I'm thinking something on the contient.

Anyone done Berlin?

What about any other European ones?

• New York is the best. I've done it six times!! Brilliant. Not done any European marathons but the Stockholm Half was really good so I suspect the full marathon would be more so ( although I think it is in June?)

• Loch Ness is the best I have done. The scenery is just stunning. On top of that it was a great race too.

I did Liverpool last year and that is definitely the next best!!

Any news on next year Alan.

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭
    Gp77 - Just heard Berlin is full. Filled up in three hours apparently!

I'm trying to work out what to do next year. Feel like there is unfinished business with this marathon lark!
  • Dublin was my first. It's coming up again on Monday. Loved every minute of it.
  • cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭
    I'm looking at doing Manchester in the spring. Big question is can I persuade Mrs cybarev to let me do it?
  • There are still places at Belrin if you're prepared to pay a little, ??170 odd.

But so many others you could do.

Some nice events around 20 milers to keep things interesting too