Chester marathon 2012

Comments

• I run 3-4 mile laps and stash a bottle somewhere along the way but unless it'd pretty hit I dint tend to use it. Ive just bought a Camelback copy of EBay for a fiver fir when Im in the mood to ditch the laps and go somewhere on my long runs.

Andy, Ill be doing Saturday or Sunday but not both. Don't want to push too hard!!
  • I'm OK sipping water on a training run but in both marathons I've done, I've found myself wanting something more substantial than just plain water. I tried that orange stuff at Chester and it was so disgustingly sweet I couldn't face more than one sip! Is my body trying to tell me something?

• acp - some bodies don't like the sports drinks initially - it is a matter of trying to use them on training runs and fiding the one that best suits you. Have to say I was not a fan of the Gatorade at Manchester or the Powerade used at GNR but that could be that I have always used Lucozade and get on with that OK. Ultimately it is just getting your body used to one of them and hoping it is that one used in the race you are in - or if possible making sure you find out early enough what drink is to be used in a race and using it throughout your training for that race - that is the only way I could use the Gatorade at Manchester.

• Isotonic drinks don't work for me, these tablets are lighter on my stomach. If I mixed a gel and lucozade etc, I'd be out the race.
  • BTW Stafford 20 miler had been confirmed for 10th March 2013. Great race to see where you are in training before a Spring marathon.
  • when I am training, if I am running for more than an hour I take a bottle of water with me on my belt, anything approaching 20 miles, I drive along my route and stash bottles along the way. during the marathon I drink little but often, and stick to water. I had some lucozade sport during bath half, but it made my hands sticky....

• GazOC wrote (see)
    BTW Stafford 20 miler had been confirmed for 10th March 2013. Great race to see where you are in training before a Spring marathon.

Sounds good that does.  Not done a 20 mile race.  Well, my marathons seem to be 20 mile races with a 10k cool down... image

• It's a lot like Helsby Half in atmosphere Helen. 11am start which is bonus!!
  • I did the Stafford 20 this year in preparation for Manchester. It's 3 laps (1 longer, 2 slightly shorter) with a long uphill drag of nearly a mile (!) at the start of each lap. The roads aren't closed so you can be very close to traffic travelling pretty fast but like Gaz says it's a good one to do if you're doing a Spring marathon. Also, plenty of parking at the start/finish, which is always a bonus in my book!image

• I ran it last year before Manchester, that hill past the Uni is a real grind!!
  • Will look into that.  Going to do Lancs HM a think on 4 November, good little race that is.   Talking about Helsby HM, got an email from club last night and Asics have pulled out of sponsoring it - their reasons being "not enough money in the pot for small races, we are looking to do bigger races like GNR".  Bastards. 

• Race still on obviously but club relied on them for help.  

• HeOw wrote (see)

Will look into that.  Going to do Lancs HM a think on 4 November, good little race that is.   Talking about Helsby HM, got an email from club last night and Asics have pulled out of sponsoring it - their reasons being "not enough money in the pot for small races, we are looking to do bigger races like GNR".  Bastards. 

Any idea what they paid to sponsor 4 villages? - cant have been that much, I dont recall them having much merchandise etc there, I thought Running Bear had the stall

• No idea to be honest JPenno.  I have asked if they need help finding another sponsor as I will go to a few local businesses if need be.  I just thought their excuse was ridiculous.  They want to go down the more fun run route.  image

• Real penny pinching for a company of that size to drop a race like Helsby Half.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

in races itself I take on water - at chester I used every drink station for water or sports drink...also gulped down 6 gels and 1 gel just before. But during my training runs, unless it's hot, I can do without it. Talking of drinks during races - they should really be in smaller bottles, so much doesn't get drank. You just need a few gulps. I'd like to see the water bottles they had at Manchester used more often....

First post race run today and I am still definately not fully recovered. Going to have the weekend off.

• Totally agree about the size of the bottles. I felt so bad about only having a couple of sips from the first couple before throwing it away that I hung on to the next one until about 23 or 24 miles when a nice man at the drinks station gave me permission to throw it on the floor in exchange for a fresh one! The one I'd been carrying had got pretty warm by then!

But I didn't like those pouches at Manchester - the first one I didn't know how to get the water out so ended up throwing it away in disgust! image Then my hands were too frozen to hold the pouch let alone squeeze it enough to get any water out! I'd rather have a (small!) bottle everytime. image 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

a few times I grabbed a bottle at a drinks station, squeezed a bit hard and soaked whoever was giving it to me....whoops...

• kmbkmb ✭✭

15 as your still around, I'll quickly ask  ...I'm looking at Gtr Manchester, is Altrincham too far out as a base? then metro in? or is it better to be closer to the start? Also for your GFA VLM, did you ballot aswell?

HeOw new shoes!! have you got the blue and white adios??? Hope So... as they rock!! Look much better than the mens efforts!!

On another note i found the HADD stuff during Taper time... nearly finished me! interesting reading, very quickly stopped tho, (Crap ive ran too fast!) and Andy ... yes i still have to read it again for it to sink in. Althought HeOw  if you posted the Lagat article ....more me at the mo! 

I started using my HRM again during Taper and since so the stats will be worth a look.

Claire, if you do Bath again, Good luck!

All the best to everyone.

• I bought the Adizero Tempo kmb.  image   here  - got 350 miles out of my Brooks, that is maximum for me, start niggling as soon as I need new trainers. 

Re HRM, I am just going to keep Heart Rate less than 75% for a while, just keep aerobically running but I think to be honest, I have done so much easy running for past 12 months in my long runs etc, my aerobic base is set, I think I am ready to really start working on pace now. Don't think I need to spend months running easy because basically, I have done that.  Bar tempos, I haven't done a lot of speed work - more hills runs etc.  Just want to recover correctly.  

Altrincham not a bad base for Manchester Marathon - (I shall reply) but 15 will know better.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Why do without fluids?

Rest day here today, short run tomorrow and 16 slow planned for Sunday.

Then it!s taper time again- except for XC race next Sunday....
  • kmbkmb ✭✭

He (if i may!) They look sound, never used the tempos, but know they are rated highly. Thanks for the Altrincham advice and i didnt mean 15 only - but as you say he seems to know the area. Guess the North W has made a mark on me for the marathon! The Aerobic stuff is good to read on, I've always cycled mainly to work, but think that has helped me with missing out some of the lower paced miles... tho proper runners would certainaly disagree!!!  Go and enjoy Perth aswell, lived out there for a bit in Pearsall, Some nice places to see.  Although .... would not recommend a long run in summer !

• HeOw I dont tend to drink owt during training runs because I drink so much tea at home that its really not needed unless I'm running more than about 2 1/2hours, thats when I start tailing off in training.
  • For those on about Haddd its bard going at first because there is a phase at the start where for a while you do have to slow down but I'm hoping to get past that point without giving up lol.
  • HeOw Adidas is a bit of allright, used to use nike but they went really dear imho. Adidas seems reasonable.

Has any one tried them Puma faas running shoes? I got a pair a month ago an there okay if you like adidas racing shoes.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

kmb - probably about 15 minutes away on tram from Altrincham - so probably a pretty good idea, then you coan avoid any traffic nonsense before and after.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Most of my running is slow. All my long runs for this started out around 7.30 last 5m were 6.45

Thinking of running faster this spring. Never actually trained for shorter distances, so thinking might train to beat my 10 k pb, then pick up the miles again....

Shoes for me are Saucony for training, Adidas adios for speed work an races, Adidas swoop for trail and inov8 mud claw for fell
  • Tis interesting all manchester / Chester talk. am thinking of going for Chester (October) instead of Manchester (April- I think). This would allow me time to spend some months on speedy bit an bobs. Want to get a few PB's at shorter distances right at the start of the year to improve basic raw speed. I mean proper short distances ya know like sub 5min mile (pb 5:02) sub 16min 5k (pb 16:22) sub 34min 10k (pb 34:28) sub 55min 10mile (pb 57:19) and a sub 75min half marathon (pb 76:50) I feel working on one distance after another will keep the motivation sky high as ever throughout the whole of next year as there will be a good series of targets to work on in that order. image

Whats other peoples plans?
  • Nooooo!  Andy you promised you were doing Manchester!  Don't waste your brilliant Chester training on Helsby Half!  Come on, get in to the flattest marafon in UK!  You will piss all over it.  Easier course than Chester too.  Maybe go into it with an open mind, "what will be will be" type scenario.  I have often thought that if I just went to a race without telling anyone I have entered it etc then the pressure would be off me iykwim?  Then I could nail it.  I have never lived up to my true HM potential.  There's a defo 1:39 in me, just need to unleash it at the right time.  

I wore Adidas for years, got into Brooks cos I thought they were "proper running trainers".  Don't get me wrong, I like em, but they don't last as long.  I have NB for trials and a pair of Walsh's for fells (not yet used but will be getting big into fell/hills over winter to prep me for fell races next year). 

Jason, you feeling ok?  No niggles?  

• Andy, I guarantee you, if you took on water or a decent isotonic hydration tablet, you would not flake after 2.5 hours.  I know this cos I run for longer than you... image  So, take water boy!  You will reap benefits of it.  Body might not feel like you are thirsty but your muscles need water.