Chester marathon 2012

Comments

• But HeOw pleeeeeaaaasssse.

I hope to do the sbortest one (sub 5:00min mile) within about a week as its a pretty soft target now with intervals then the 5k's really helped make all other paces feel easier esp marathon pace. Then 10k's and halfs seemed to give a bit of strength endurance so I'm hoping that all this madness helps make the marathon time even better when marathon day comes around again.

You wont shout will you?

I see what you mean about entering an not tellin anyone to not have anyone expecting but of course if I told you that...........
  • Heow fair enough I'll give water a whirl. To be honest when I do take water I've allways had it with a nuun tablet dropped in so it has an added benefit over pure water. And I've managed 3hrs plus with it in past an felt really good, just sipping away at it.

With the short distances I wouldn't drop any miles because I want to maintain that aerobic base for the marathon.
  • Get thee a fanny pack Andy. Would suit you this would... fanny pack With water bottles on it.  I know you think you will look a twat but who cares, it won't half help.  OR on your most important long runs, get a friend or family member to cycle next to you with water and fuel so you can practice it.  Hell I will f*cking do it if it means you nail this sub 3!  You ask any elite athlete if they train without proper hydration.  You won't find one.  You want to be the best you can be, well start from the basics, don't forget the body needs it to work efficiently. image

• I dunno HE, I see some people that laced up with water and gels you'd swear they were about to cross the Sahara not run for a couple of hours!!
  • HeOw Thanks for that advise. When I'm recovered from last sunday enough to exceed about say 60mins"ish" I'll take a bottle so I can sip away at it. thanks for "kicking me up the arse" sometimes I need people to allmost demand I do the sensible stuff. I wish people were like that more often.

I have 2 of the blue ones of these (blue one) wheni have used these I have allways sipped away because you cant forget about it, daft as it seems when I use the waist belt style ones I just dont think to have the drink I'm carrying. Once again thanks for that advice. (stern talking to) I need that once in a while.
  • Science ain't wrong Gaz.... You know I'm right! You men are stubborn over shit like this. We women are organised. It ain't rocket science. Tell you what, take on board proper water for next long run, come back and tell me the results. Every mile, sip a good mouthful, that's all you need. If you don't perform better, I'll eat my own bowel movement... ;-P Lecture over...
  • ha ha cheers for the last graphic message. *giggles childishly*
  • Why am I stuck in bold all of a sudden
  • Right need some zzzzzzz................
  • Ive tried it HE and, unless it's a warm day, I dont feel any benefit under 20 miles. I got bottles, belts etc when I started out running but, except for my 300 ml grip shaped one that I stash on my route, they are gathering dust.
  • I'm in two minds whether to do Manchester again, or just concentrate on halfs and 10k's and give the long stuff a miss. To be honest I was a bit disappointed with myself that I didn't do a better time at Chester which has put me in the position of one minute thinking that marathons aren't for me and then thinking that I want to give it another try and learn from this experience.

Also looking back...did anyone else think there were more hills than they thought there were going to be, or was it just me!
  • Haven't decided on Manchester again yet .... the baggage fiasco kinda put me off, but then I think that it can't be that bad again so why not as the course was good (weather not withstanding) ... so may well ... hmmm decisions decisions ....

seren nos wrote (see)

children in schools in this country were called golliwog .not just wog,..it was meant as an insult and it worked.........can't see how stopping the word being used made it political correctness gone wrong..........if it was used to offend a big group of people.,and it succeeded.then allowing everyone to continue to use it would surely be letting the racists win.

kmb wrote (see)

15 as your still around, I'll quickly ask  ...I'm looking at Gtr Manchester, is Altrincham too far out as a base? then metro in? or is it better to be closer to the start? Also for your GFA VLM, did you ballot aswell?

15West wrote (see)

kmb - probably about 15 minutes away on tram from Altrincham - so probably a pretty good idea, then you coan avoid any traffic nonsense before and after.

I came in from North Wales for Manchester this year and parked in Altrincham, and it was great ... drove straight in .. parked right outside the metro station (no charges) ... then a 5 min wait for a tram, and then straight in to about half a mile away from the start. (it was a bit like the start to the film the Warriors with more and more people dressed the same getting on at each stop as we got nearer and nearer).

Return journey was pretty much the same ... with 10 minute walk to tram stop then about 5 minute wait for tram, then straight out and in to car and away .

• Andy, I actually didn't plan for that to sound the way it did!  image  

Gaz, everyones different I suppose. image

UpTheBoro - the marathon in my mind, is not a race you can conquer quickly, I reckon it takes years and years to get it perfected.  So, don't give up mate, keep on and maybe do 1 a year and work on your shorter stuff the other six months, then dedicate the later 6 months to endurance work.  I keep thinking I want to really work on my 5k pace as I am am slightly better at speed than endurance but it just doesn't excite me doing 5ks.  

• HeOw it was still a good comment though anyway ha ha.

did the Gwersyllt (soon to be) park run today and got round in 22:29 (on my watch) however last weeks marathon was making its prescence known when i tried to speed up to race pace in the last half mile. the legs were just like F--k that on a saturday morning. try again tomorrow in the Flintshire 10k i suppose.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Evening allimage

Managed 6.4m this evening and legs feeling better, although right hamstring is still stiff. Nice bit of internal bleeding at the bottom of right hamstring too- no doubt associated with my yelp of pain on the final "sprint" last weekendimage image Last long run for me tomorrow, then it's taper 2 time!

Andy, there's no way I could even think about 5k/10k races yet!!image

• Jason D I just did it because me dad was going so I thought if I'm going to have a 3mile run in the morning I may as well go there an see people too rather than be a billy. Tomorrow will just be a do what ya can situation.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Andy - just make sure you don!t push! Doesn't Matter what your muscles are telling you, they are still very fragile and will take a good few weeks before they,re ready for proper speed....
  • Ok, being new to marathon running I had a sports massage yesterday with a guy who works alongside my physio. I have been left bruised ... is this normal? I was expecting it to be uncomfortable but not to have an actual bruise?? Still not run since Sunday as feeling really under the weather with a chesty cough ... hopefully back out on the road soon ....
  • Jason D to be honest I'm pretty okay witb injury history. I'm generally limited first by tiredness before anythink else. If a muscle is aching then I will rest but usually I just slow down and reduce the qaulity aspect however much I need to. This aproach just works for me, thankfully.
  • I haven't donned my trainers yet either Claire, went to the gym for an easy weights session, I also think I have put on about half a stone this week!
  • Claire, depends what kind of mssage it is.  If its a deep tissue massage, it always hurts lets hell, getting into the scar tissue and getting rid of all the crap in there, may well bring you out in bruises.  Does the job though

• I just checked and I have put on just over half a stone in the last week of taper and this week! Not in a fit state to don my trainers either as I've got either a little stress fracture or more likely a case of tendonitis on top of my left foot (prob due to the limping in the race putting more pressure on my foot). Bought my self a treadmill to see me through the winter though, I'm finding it hard to drop my calorific intake to per training levels!
  • Hate running on a treadmill. Think 30 min is my limit. Don't mind being out and about on a cold crisp morning. 5 to 7 for me tonight. Had curry last night, to end week of crap food
  • I just sorted my garmin so that I am now on garmin connect, makes very interesting reading! I cant believe I didnt get one sooner!

• I bought a treadmill a couple of years ago, its currently used as a dog bed!

Controlling calorie intake after a marathon is hard. I did Ironman UK in 2009 and when your training six days a week and usually twice a day and doing a 6 hr bike on Saturday and a two hour run on a Sunday you can eat what you want.

Trying to stop eating afterwards is a major issue and the weight gain can be quite impressive image

Fairly chilly here today, I decided earlier in the week not to risk injury by doing Liverpool marathon today so will be limiting myself to 8-10 miles tonight

• JPenno, most houses that I go in, the tread mill is usually used for drying socks on.

just make sure you dont switch it on while the dog is asleep on it!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

16m is my limit on a treadmill to dateimage Only use it in times of emergency due to ice and snow

I've gained 4 lbs during taper- thought it was more, so quite relieved- 2 weeks should take care of that!image

16.02 for me today in 2.11.55 (8.14 av).  Easy pace, but not effortimageimage Actually managed to dip under 8min miling in the last 2mimage- hamstrings still stiff, but getting better. Not about speed today anyway- just a reminder to my legs that they need to keep their endurance for a couple more weeksimage. Taper 2 time nowimage

• Andy, it's hard to tell from your Facebook photo but I think we may have met today. We're you with a bloke called Vince outside the leisure centre after the race?
  • Ye that bloke I was with today called Vince is me dadimage the effort he puts in for my benefit is immense. Nobody realises to be honest. I can tell you now that without him i'd never be able to keep 100mile weeks going. he's got me on a great diet. (hours and hours and hours of cooking+veg prep every week) veg also is grown in the garden to reduce chemicals so its allways organic and very fresh veg. Then theres the the driving to races for my benefit.