Chester marathon 2012

Comments

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Right then! London's out of the way now- I ran an ultra 3 weeks ago and that was still in my legs, so I decided to take it easy and just enjoy the atmosphere yesterday. Bonus is that I can walk almost normally today!image Time to turn my attention towards the autumn and get my Chester entry in! Hope I can get another PB on the course this yearimageimage
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Entry and hotel both sortedimage
  • I've signed up for this one.  I am a victim of the Hull Marathon fiasco, having run a championship qualifying time that may or may not be allowed by the VLM authorities.  Whether it is or not, I want a legitimate time to my name this year.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    BR- Hull fiasco?image
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Barnsley runner

this one is put on by runners for runners could not fault the first 2 of this race really good course last year supporters calling you by name as it is on your race number 100 times better then Blackpool as in route
  • Oooh where do I begin?  Briefly.

1.  Major roads in the city meant to be closed.  They weren't

2.  Lack of marshalls at busy road junctions.

3.  Marshalls with no instructions from the organiser, not knowing what the correct route was.

4.  Numbers not posted out - having to collect them from a shopping centre the day before.

5. .  Five runners sent the wrong way, including the woman in 2nd or 3rd, who then ended up around 3 miles short and `winning' it be 12 minutes.  Much distress to her and the rightful winner.

6.  The crowning irony - the orgainser had decided to alter the course in 5 places, meaning the certificate of accuracy was invalid, therefore no Pof10 time.

7.  Much negative publicity for running in the local media

8.  Many runners still awaiting prizes

9.  Organiser gone into hiding.

Apart from that...

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    does not sound very good
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    imageimageimage BR- as Compo says, this is a FAB race- I've run London, Snowdon and Llanelli, the first 2 multiple times, and this is by far my favourite (Snowdon is special to me too!) and my PB course- though not as speedy as you!image 
  • tHINK im gonna do the marathon. Done 1 before- Ediburgh in the heat of 2010 and did 4hrs 07.

Now -can anyone advise the best intermediate/beginner schedule- serious training begins when ?

Mid May ?

Cheers

Mike

• Hi Mike

I'm no expert, but most of the plans I've seen last 16-18 weeks (18 weeks means starting mid June) and recommend you being used to running something comparable to the first week of the plan already (so if first week says 35 miles, get used to running 30 miles before starting).  I've used RW ones - the 'ultimate' ones which I think you have to be a subscriber for - with a fair degree of success.  I tried upping my game this time round with Pfitzinger & Douglas - all going well until I got injured 12 weeks in and missed out completely image.  good luck with it.

• Im in !

I'm the sort of person who needs a goal and I'm hoping training thru the summer rather than the winter will help.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    looking forward to this race again decided to apply for London marathon 2013 just been watching this years that i recorded what did it for me was the support from runners and supporters alike just like Chester which I see as a mini London marathon verson and given last year it could grow with runners without Chris and Andy there would be no marathon in this great city
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

mike- welcome aboardimage

compo- there's no way that Chester compares with London!

It's much more enjoyable and less crowded!image

• I'm starting my training for Chester tomorrow, been running plenty of miles but now need to get some quality work in, such as intervals, fartlek, and hills etc. Brilliant race with brilliant support fro locals and organisers alike.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Jason and Chester is 10 times better then blackpool was lonely on that bottom walk not much support
  • After getting injured training for this last Oct and London this year, I'm a bit relectant to enter again at this stage and would prefer to wati to nearer the time, in case I get injured again.  Does anyone know what the current numbers are for the marathon and how long should I leave it before taking the plunge ?  Desperate to complete a marathon, hope it 3rd time lucky
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    John, don't know about Chester, but I was surprised to find out today that Snowdonia (3 weeks after Chester) is already full! Thankfully, I've already entered both- same plan as last year, but feel more confident having done both together before!!!image
  • Ummmm not sure what to do!!! Ran London marathon and had a great day, shall I do two marathons in one year??? Oh decisions........
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Gazelle- do it!image Plenty of time between the 2!
  • Just looked at the web site and very tempted...... I love races with a good goodie bag(is that sad!) and a long sleeve tech shirt sounds fab, do they come in different sizes or is it one size fits all?
  • Last year they had small/ med and large shirts.

• I'm trying to find a negative so I can talk myself out of it!
    Will enter first thing in the morning, I've never ran two marathons in one year yikes. Thanks for all the feedback from my questions, right then need to sort out a plan......
  • I ran it last year and will be doing it again this year. Its a great race and extremely well organized.
  • Yippee just entered.

What training plan will everyone be using and when will you start the plan?

• I'll be using the 18 week P&D 70 mile a week plan again. I'm due to start the first week or second week in June I think but I'l be staying busy in the meantime.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

I've been in continuous mara training for the last 2 yearsimage

• I'm beginning to see how relentless it can be just running 2 marathons and a few halfs a year.
  • I may well be in ... just seeing how well I recover from Manchester (mentally too image ), as I'm in for Snowdon which I believe is 3 weeks later, so want to make sure I can recovery from a mara is sufficient to let me do 2 in 3 weeks.

• I'm in.... after doing Manchester yesterday in the awful conditions, thought I may as well.... Is anyone doing the half in November in Tatton Park?
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    GazOC wrote (see)
    I'm beginning to see how relentless it can be just running 2 marathons and a few halfs a year.

Gaz- wait until you dip your toes into the dark side of ultras!image

Bruce- know how you feel- i did Chester and Snowdon last year and was worried about the recovery. PB at Chester and took Snowdon easy (easier)- got a course best by over 10 minsimage Needless to say I'm doing both again this yearimage