Chester marathon 2012

Comments

• Hi guys, I originally planned to enter Liverpool but other stuff got in the way of that so hoping to enter Chester. I've heard very good things about this marathon so hope it doesn't disappoint. I now need to finish the distance after dropping out in the Greater Manchester Marathon last Sunday at 21 miles. This, if all things go to plan, will be my first completed marathon. Just got a few questions;
    Is the course a loop?
    How hilly is the course?
    How frequent are drinks stations?
    Are any other drinks available other than water?
    Will there be pace runners?
    What is the support like from spectators?
    Do you post put race numbers/packs?
    Thanks
  • I think I'll probably do this one again this year. I ran it last year and got a pb, and thought the whole organisation was just perfect. Every detail was covered, and I even had a shower after before driving home. It was also nice to finish in front of the Grandstand.

Only thing is, if it's bad weather on the day I will not be turning up. Just done Manchester marathon in the worst conditions ever, and have to see the doctor because I may have pneumonia. To be honest I shouldn't really have run, because I already had a cold, but I didn't want to waste all the training miles.

I will know better next time.

Anyway I really enjoyed Chester last year, so will enter again. If anyone is unsure about this race, I noticed on the forums that it was described as The Carlsberg of marathon organisation. 

• After reading all this I'm really happy I've chosen this as my first marathon!!  Roll on October...
  • Chester vs Liverpool? Liverpool vs Chester?

Starting to recover from Manchester mara and I'm already plotting my next marathon fix. At the Manchester Expo, the Chester guy was extremely charming and really sold this event to me so Chester it is!

Glad to see some familiar names from the Manchester thread.
  • Going off last year and my best memory of it...

Is the course a loop? Yes
    How hilly is the course? Not very. Pretty flat with 1 biggish hill around 23 miles

How frequent are drinks stations?
    Are any other drinks available other than water? I think it was stations every 3 miles with water, every other station (ie 6 miles) also had energy drinks

Will there be pace runners? There wasn't last year

What is the support like from spectators? Very good esp. the 5 or 6 villages you run through

Do you post put race numbers/packs? Yes
  • More information is on the web site http://www.activeleisureevents.co.uk/full-marathon.aspx Shotz gels and drinks will be available on the course also.

I'm hoping the sun will come out for most of our training runs, I'm getting bored of running in the cold and rain!

• Thanks for all the information Gaz. Just entered and really looking forward to it!
  • ringo100ringo100 ✭✭✭
    Andrew ran this last year and Gaz is spot on with his answers. It is a great run,really flat until 23 miles,but that effort is rewarded with a great run in past the grandstands. The organization is spot on,even down to your first name on your number so the support is great. A top notch marathon that will get bigger and better
  • Do any of you know what the age categories are? Is there an under 20s or similar?
  • LP I'm also in for Chester again, fantastic support and by far the best race finish I've ever seen.

I did this last year and did the Liverpool half this year, so if I had to choose it would be Chester all the way for me although both were well organised events, but I am considering doing both this year as they're not on the same day, although unlike everyone else (or so it seems) the thought of running through the tunnel doesn't impress much.

• hi there was wanting to know is the chester marathon good for quick times and is the course flat or hilly

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

now upping my training for this great marathon  and can not wait till race dayimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

I see that the online entry says that it is full-?? EITHER that was a quick fill up, or it's another RW C**k up- bit like this awful format......

• Hi Jason safe to assume cock-up, Chester is not full, and Born to Run 2013 open for Business but this time apparently 40 miles, are you doing it again

• Hi there everyone.  The race that is full is the half marathno which is on 13th May.  Still plenty of full marathon places for now image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Graham- Hi! All being well I'll be back for the 40- it's on my doorstepimage How about you?

Chris- looking forward to this one againimage

• I tried to enter today online but it wouldn't let me register.  I am thinking it may be a blessing...

• wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭

hmmm time to think about the Chester 26 after Stratty turned into just 13 image

hi Chris 

• Just entered. Were you at Stratford Rob?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello - I'm in. Know some of you from the Gtr Manchester marathon thread. Heard good things about Chester so looking forward to this....my training for this one will start properly in June. Booked premier inn in town centre already.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I heard about the Shakespeare Stratford marathon - they were told on the start line it would be just a half marathon being ran. What a nightmare! But, I guess the organisers had to make that tough decision due to the conditions, health and safety and all that.

HO2 - come on, try again. It's working fine, make sure it's the marathon you're signing up for.

• Booked in for this one a while back and Jason - Yes entry all booked and paid up for Llanelli Ultra 2013, that was my first and after a slow 26 I was pleasantly surprised to be able to keep going so looking forward to more

• Hi15W, hope you've recovered from Manchester. I'm afraid I haven't yet and still have a respiratory tract infection and feel awful.

Never mind though, I'll be entering this race on pay day, but rest assured, if I have the slightest hint of a cold on race day, I WILL NOT be runningimage. Hopefully this won't be the case because I enjoyed it so much last year - everything a marathon should be!

Buxton half, next on the agenda for me.

• Some Halfs in the North West over the summer that may help in preparation for Chester.

17th June: Freckleton Half Marathon

15th July: Windmill Half Marathon, Lythm St Anne 

26th August: Fleetwood Half Marathon

2nd Sept: Blackpool Hilton Half Marathon    

• Thinking of signing up for what will be my 2nd marathon following surviving Manchester, as think I could knock 15min off my time in better weather. Also going to do Warrington half early September which I've done before and found it good.

What is the course like?
  • I booked this race in a panic on Friday thinking it was getting full - my brain is still frozen from Manchester! Aparently I promised my husband I wouldn't do more than one marathon but after Manchester I think I could do a better time and have heard good things about this race.

Just tried to book in at the hotel at the racecourse but it is full already - anyone got any tips on somewhere nice but convenient to stay in Holiday Inn/Premier Inn price range?

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

There is a new Travelodge in Delamere St, easy walk to the start, one opposite the Amphtheatre, again, easy walk to the start, a Premier Inn (I think) on city Road, The Mill Hotel is a decent place, don't know how much it costs though.

• completed manchester marathon in over 6 hours. knee went after 14 miles when i was doing quite well and carried on at a slow pace and really felt the cold to the point where trying to go to the loo with frozen hands at about 18 miles was a killer but the toilet cubicle was toasty. hopefully will train better for this one and get some treatment for the knee rather than ignore it. 8k jog tomorrow and new training programme starts on Tuesday. 2/3 of my friends also registering for this one and I think it will be good. g

• That must have been a nightmare. Well done for finishing in those circumstances.