Chester marathon 2012

Comments

• afternoon all, just been for my first run since Manchester, 4.5 miles, and if anyone came across a pair of legs amongst the baggage debris on Longford 'marsh' I think they must be mine !!!

Have decided I'm definately in for Chester, so will be signing up officially next week on payday.

What sort of times are people looking for, as would be good to find some others looking for a similar time to compare training etc .... I'm thinking I'm aiming for 3:50 this time round (got 3:57 in Manchester).

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

well last year I got 3h44 knocking 15 mins of 2010 time in same race   hoping for 3h15 to 3h30 this time

• This will be my first marathon so no previous form to go on but my 10k time is 47m and half mara is 1h53m so am aiming for either 4 hours or just under.  

I should really start looking into training plans... image

• I got 3:16 in sunny Manchester so I'll be hoping for 3:05 - 3:10 at Chester.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Reason I love Chester mara? Well lots really, but I managed to PB with 3.13 in London in April 2011, but moved it to 2.56 in Chester by October image. This year? Long way off, but will be hopefully looking for improvementimage

Mr Puffy- thanks for the info re hotels- I had booked in to same place as last year despite the fact that you couldn't sit on the toilet with the door closed! But now changed- AND saved moneyimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

On the subject of warm up half maras, I've entered the Lake Vyrynwy half in early September- on the way to Chester for me, flat and fast I'm told too- and only £12image http://www.lakevyrnwyhalfmarathon.com/

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

I am booked in same hotel as last year and 2010      hopfully can being my time down from 3h44

• Jason, 3:13 then 2:56?? You're putting ideas in my head!!!image

• jd ... Vyrynwy is a cracking race (I'd be doing it too but it is on same day as my fave .. Warrington).

There is a short sharp climb in the first mile, then its pancake flat as you go round the lake (very picturesque it is too!!) and then you get to finish on the downhill that was the starting uphill. Really is an excellent event.

• Just Googled mapped it. Its not far from me but what a bugger to get to on public transport.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Gaz- Ideas are good, dreams are better, reality is bestimageimage

Bruce- sounds great- hoping to whop my (soft) half PB at Vyrynwy- suppose the weather could be an issue thoughimageimage

• I remember the crowds were great last year, and the Grandstand finish was terrific, although I really could have used a horse on the final straight.

Can't say enough about the organisation, just great.

• pottermisspottermiss ✭✭✭
    I am so tempted to do Chester again this year, especially after getting a pb by 20minutes at manchester, but I have promised not to do another marathon this year image

I have just done my lake vyrnwy entry though and yes very flat after the first stretch.

I really must keep away from the enter button on the Chester website! image I have said I will volunteer to help out on the day if I am not running.
  • PM ... which button are you talking about ?

It wouldn't be this one would it ... the one that enters the Chester Marathon Marathon ... if so then I definately wouldn't clickhere

Can you hear it calling in the distance .. "oh pottermiss please come out to play"

*with his job now done and the seeds sown ... exits thread stage left at high speed image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Pre- Chester prep starts today! 14m in 1.40 (7.10 av) legs starting to feel better after VLM/ultra image

• Hi All

Re the "FULL" comment at the top of the page, this is incorrect and a RW bug, have emailed them to get corrected.  Best way to enter is on race http://www.activeleisureevents.co.uk/full-marathon/race-info/enter-race.aspxor if search on this site via events tab the RW online entry works

• phew..just talked myself into it..glad its not full...but..if it wasimage

• Go on pottermiss.................you know it makes sense!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    xe wrote (see)

Go on pottermiss.................you know it makes sense!

Listen to xe!image

RK- welcome aboardimage

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    If you're in two minds can I just say that this is a great race, the start runs through the city, then out on pleasant rural roads so you can settle down a bit, I liked the fact that there were good long stretches where you could really focus and dig in, interspersed with really good support in the villages. The water stations were manned by clubs, businesses and community groups and they we great too.

It's not an easy course, but it is rewarding, and the last few miles along the river and the racecourse was fantastic, they narrow the course right down so you can see the spectators either side as you run the last few tens of metres to the line.

The organisers are local runners and they seem to have mobilised a lot of very competent volunteers to help out, I saw a lot of marshals and finish team that regularly whip me in races, it is just brilliantly organised from start to finish.
  • brer rabbitbrer rabbit ✭✭✭

I'm in..great event last year, still wear my training top with pride!image

JD-in view of recent disasters..hope that this one happens. Now A race for the yearimage

• Brer, I've got 4 tops. After the race they were selling spares at 3 for £10.image

• had a awful run at chester last year,wife saw my pain.Cramps, tears blood , the lotI.I Needed to put that thing to bed as a final hurrah to 26.2.She gave me one more chance to finish looking remotely human.

Manchester called and  it was only around the corner 

However PBd at Manchester last week by 40 minutes during poor weather ,bad wind !!! and cold..Now the ghost has gone.

How do I explain a 26.2 in October..........in Chester.The scene of my destruction.

Advice Please .

Help

• Steve,

Just get on with it, Manchester nearly killed me and I've been suffering ever since, but you can't reproduce the feeling of crossing the line anywhere else.

Crossy

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all -

stephen, just train right, eat/drink right and race right and hopefully you'll get through with no cramp. Where was the blood coming from?!

I got 3.13.44 in Manchester which was a PB, so I guess aim for Chester will be to beat that. Maybe 3.10, or 3.05 or who knows 3 hr mark. All depends how training goes.

Got Manchester 10k in 2 weeks - but may not race it too hard as have a potential PF problem in my left foot - or could just be a strain, not too sure. Pain is more in arch than heel, and is getting better as I haven't been running much. Did 8 easy miles this morning though, my first run since marathon, and still felt a lot of that marathon in my legs.

• pottermisspottermiss ✭✭✭

I think I will make my final decision after the Potters Arf when the marathon training is a little more distant. image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

stephen- it will be better this time!image

Brer- good to have you back on boardimage

4 tops for me too!image

• I just panicked when I saw the 'FULL' notice above, I was going to wait until after White Peak half before I made up my mind as I have had to drop out of both my spring marathons due to injury, can't risk missing this so entry now in image

• I'm in again just paid image Great race.

• Hi everyone - just entered this even though I'm sure I said I wouldn't do another marathon until NEXT autumn! Just have to explain it to the husband now!

15West - don't know if you remember me from the Manchester forum but I saw the physio on Friday about my PF and he advised me to invest in a Strasborg(sp?!) sock to wear at night and not to totally rest but just cut back on the mileage which certainly won't be a problem for a few weeks! I was so relieved he didn't tell me to rest it completely! image