Options

Chester marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

exciting and interesting that people are putting their times forward already, ummm I would want a PB (ran 3:29 in London) so I'll say 3:20 for now but may change either side nearer to the date.

Mr Puffy have you signed up for the event yet????

• Options

Just entered. Did the Liverpool Marathon last year but thought the start was a fiasco so going to have a crack at this 1 instead. Looking forward to it. Training starts here!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Cheers Alsion - not sure what to do about it at the mo... I guess I need to see someone about it. It's not causing me that much pain - but I do feel it. Just been mainly cross training, although did run 8 miles yesterday. Got Manchester 10k next week which not sure what to do about yet - not sure I can defer either.

• Options

15West - I found the information and advice on the internet about PF really confusing and conflicting so I'm glad I went to the physio - first time I've ever been! I'm sure lots of people would disagree with his advice but it made sense to me. I managed to do the marathon with mine but I felt it every step of the way! Well, at least until the cold gave me something else to think about......! You could always do the 10km but at an easier pace than planned. From what I've heard about it, it's a good one in terms of route and atmosphere etc

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Yeah, I've ran it lots of times. Signed up for it ages ago before I became marathon man. My ache pain isn't on heel, it's kind've on side of arch. I agree about conflicting advice - think I'll have to splash out on a physio to put my mind to rest. Would go GP but probably not worth it.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

TR40- welcome back, buddy!image

• Options
    I'm in too. Chester newbie but good to see a few familiar Manchester faces!
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Gazelle!! I wish wrote (see)

exciting and interesting that people are putting their times forward already, ummm I would want a PB (ran 3:29 in London) so I'll say 3:20 for now but may change either side nearer to the date.

Mr Puffy have you signed up for the event yet????

Gaz- Think I'm right in saying that this time last year we had a list goingimage

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Not yet Gazelle but there's no way they're having a marathon without me, I couldn't bear not to take part.  The timing isn't great, it's the week after a long trail race that I like to do, but last year was great, training in the sun on summer mornings, parking at my sister's flat a hundred yards from the course, all my family and clubmates on the course, and of course I have that magic 3:30 in my sights. 

• Options

JD/Brer Good to see you here looks like doubles for us in October again guys!!image

Mr Puffy 3;30..........think I will have a crack at that againimage

• Options
    brer rabbitbrer rabbit ✭✭✭

Hey TR4O...here's to good times without injuries eh bud??image

• Options

Thats the plan brer!!image

• Options

So after being on a high from being told I don't have to rest to 'cure' my PF I'm now totally fed up! Ran 4 miles yesterday in new trainers - same make and model and size as old ones just new - and they rubbed the skin off the back of my heel which is now so sore and swollen I can barely walk let alone run! image

Oh, and 15West - my pain is on the arch rather than the heel too!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Oh dear. Take it easy Alison...long time till October! Out of interest, apart from continuing running, what other advise did the physio give you?

• Options

Just a quick reminder re the "FULL" notice at the top of the page, this is incorrect, its a RW glitch that we are still chasing them to fix.  Cheers All

Good times !

• Options

15West - he basically explained that if you just rest it, it will heal in it's shortened position so as soon as you run on it, it will stretch and all the little tears that have healed will open up again. And however many stretches you do during the day (minutes) can't compete with wearing the Strasbourg sock all night (hours). He also advised heating my foot and then doing stretching exercises and gently massaging my foot. I must admit I'd never tried heat, only ice - which he did say was good to use immediately after a run just to ease any inflammation. Like I said I'm sure plenty of people would disagree with this advice but it just made a lot of sense to me. Obviously it remains to be seen whether any of it works - I'll keep you posted!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

ok - interesting. Thanks. I have actually booked a physio tomorrow - so I'll see what they say! Have you got this Strasbourg sock then?

• Options

I've ordered one and am expecting delivery today! Although with my heel still sore and swollen (think it's infected!) I doubt I'll be able to try it for a few days yet! Can't believe I made such an elementary error and ran in new shoes without breaking them in round the house first. I just thought that because they were exactly the same as my old pair they'd be fine. I could kick myself - but not on my bad heel...!

• Options

not read thru all the threads on here, apologies

just wondered if this is still open to enter, as they had a stand at expo and said they werent full yet it appears full online?

I am really interested in doing this one 

• Options

I entered on Tuesday even though it said full. Apparently, it's a glitch in the system!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Yes, go to official website and enter. Full indication above is wrong apparently.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

ah - beat me to it!

• Options
    jason d wrote (see)
    Gazelle!! I wish wrote (see)

exciting and interesting that people are putting their times forward already.

Gaz- Think I'm right in saying that this time last year we had a list goingimage

Jason D Good thinking about a list, shall we leave it up to you to sort outimage

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I've enteredimage. Enjoyed the experience last year, although I got cocky at 13-14M and pushed on too much, ending up with cramp at 23M. I'll be more sensibel this time. image

• Options

Dr.Dan, I'm sure it's happened to most of us when we feel fine half way, it's true what people say that a marathon starts at mile 20! Lets hope we all learn from everyone's mistakes and all have a great race.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Gaz- no, but you can leave it to me to start it off,ok?

sub 2.56.44

• jason d 

This may change..... Feel free to add to the listimage

• Options

For you guys/girls with PF - as I mentioned on Manchester Marathon forum - I had same issue last year and my Physio said do 2 things:

1. Sit on floor with legs out straight and then bend leg with PF issue so as to bring foot towards you and then pull back on toes on that foot and hold for 20-30 secs repeat 5-10 times. Do this 3-4 times daily.

2. Bare footed walk on your toes for say 3 metres turn round and come back - repeat 20 times. Do this 3-4 times daily.

Have to say this worked brilliantly and my PF went within 4 weeks. He also told me that it was alright to run through the PF as long as I could accept there would be discomfort as it would do no damage. 

• Options

afternoon all, well payday has arrived, and I'm now officially all signed up and entered ! image

and also to continue Jason's list (and add a little balance) :

sub 2.56.44

•  jason d

sub 3:51:00

• Bruce C

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

imageBruce- now it's a real list. C'mon, everyone, copy and paste away!!

• Options

GazOC: Happy 3:10, very happy 3:05.