violence in senior school

Comments

• Surely not by having someone's lights out after two words of verbal? Even if it were that offensive it doesn't justify a subsequent assault and if you were to support that, then that's setting a pretty interesting example for her adulthood.
  • Squeakz wrote (see)
    I would agree with you mifi, its just that in my area the term is not considered to be an insult, it is a considered to be a threat. I would encourage all children to stand up to bully and threats not to be scared. My girl would stand her ground and defend herself as such if she responded by lashing out, rightly or wrongly I would defend and support her if provoked and threatened.
    Well I feel my son did that, he stood up to an older child whose behaviour to my son and his friend was verbally aggressive.  my son stood his ground and told him to "jog on" probably understanding it to mean f*** off / sling your hook / do one... or what ever.    Isn't that what you are encouraging?
  • JjJj ✭✭✭

Nice one Stevie G. ¦oD

Have to agree with PhilPub, I wasn't sure whether or not Squeakz was trolling  with that lengthy and rather extreme reaction!

• To suggest he had it coming because he told a lad to talk to the hand / sling his hook whatever, to be justification for an assault I find pretty unbelievable. To actually effectively imply that he had it coming, should have known better and got away lightly... I mean... WOW!! To support that sort of primitive mode of conflict resolution is a bit surprising, especially when used as an argument against bullying... How about "two wrongs don't make a right" rather than "an eye for an eye"?
  • Not condoning the thumping, it does teach a lesson that you have to be careful who you mouth off to.  I think it's a lesson we have all learnt in a similar way either first or second hand.
  • Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)
    Not condoning the thumping, it does teach a lesson that you have to be careful who you mouth off to.  I think it's a lesson we have all learnt in a similar way either first or second hand.

Hmm, difficult call BDB,  yes a lesson about being careful who you mouth off to... but do you always want to be afraid to speak up for yourself, to look down avoid eye contact, and not answer back to a leary loud mouth? 

The afternoon of the incident my son said to me something along the lines of.. "well I've learnt my lesson, don't stick up for my mates".

He also learnt that a punch in the face is painful and shocking, but that he still put the aggressor on his arse and he feels good about that.  Which is fine.  But we did have a conversation about how it would have then been wrong if he'd kicked the lad while he was on the ground.  Fair play you see!

• I suggest he learns how to punch back and not run to the teachers!
  • True Miffi - it's a difficult balance.

It sounds to me though that you're being rational about it and talking so hopefully you'll strike that balance between you.

• its always a difficult one that is even harder to decide in the heat of the moment........

your son took his legs away and so felt good...............the problem with all attacks.verbal, physical from all sides is that the unexpected can change things so easily..........

there was some thing brewing and building up with a number of kids there today.........

the other guy got a "lucky" punch that made the right contact with your son that obviously hurt and left a nasty mark...........

your son got a "lucky" strike that got the kid to the ground...............he landed on his bum......he could of lost his balance and feel back and knocked himself unconsious..................the same incident...a slightly different outcome and your son would be the one excluded and making the local papers even as the media could write it up which ever way they wanted to...............

my problem with violence in any form is that it can lead to something so much bigger...............

• TMW - the teachers broke up the fight
  • it was a playground fight - much as i hate the idea, i know they happen, the teachers know they happen, and we all remember them from our own school days
    mostly things started and finished with the fight
    dragging things on and on and on does not help

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Personally the phrase "Jog on" is an embarrasing one for me.

I used it once...in some dark loud club at midnight years back, when some (as i thought) boozed up goon came over and shoved me. A little shove back and quick  "jog on" was mouthed.

10mins later I saw the guy's CARER helping him.

Now it's arguable whether someone who needs a carer should be in a packed loud dark club at midnight, but I did feel a fool for  a bit imageimage

• err not really arguable, people with disabilities have lives too. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Mentally handicapped not physically. 

Not a great choice of venus to take a guy who clearly didn't have any idea what was going on, and wasn't in control of their actions...ie shoving peope and roaring in people's faces image

• no different to most people after 10 pints then
  • "Jog on" as a thread of violence !?    Not as far as I'm concerned either - I'm afraid you've got that wrong Squeakz.

Either way it sounds like the OPs son can take care of himself which is a good thing for him - it's unfortunate but as a young lad if you can put on a bit of a front it helps.   Society accepts a certain amount of violence amongst kids that it doesn't accept amongst adults - if this guy did the same thing to the same people in 10 years time he'd end up in court and quite possibly in jail.   

• I'd take 'Jog on' as a way of saying clear off.

The fight seems to have been 6 of one and half a dozen from what's been said.  Coming off worse doesn't make you the victim....

That said I think the school should have responded to the queries and I'd make an appointment to see the head if no info was forthcoming.

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    I would make an appointment with the head of year in person.
    God I need to learn to read. I read that as PRISON.image
  • kittenkat wrote (see)

Any Sec school that says it doesn't have a bullying problem is lying. Bullying is rife, I know, I've taught in many schools.

However, what good schools do is have a good anti bullying policy which pupils trust in (and there's the crux). Sometimes it really is impossible to find out who is wrong and who is right.

At Miss LB's school there IS no fist fighting. It's an all girl's school and fist fights simply don't happen. Girls tend to deal with issues more with their forked tongues in my (limited) experience but I can honestly say there have been no fights since she's been there. That doesn't mean bullying doesn't go on. I'm sure it does. Anyone who thinks you can't bully one just as successfully emotionally is probably kidding themselves.

And I used to BE a bully. I'm not proud of it. In fact I'm extremely ashamed of it. But there were reasons for that behaviour. Not excuses, just reasons. I can explain why but not everyone wants to hear it from the other viewpoint. There are always two sides to everything.

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    Squeakz wrote (see)
    Thanks for sharing your insight, im always interested in such things

Have you been watching 'Educating Essex' 9pm on Thurs evenings? It's good viewing.

And also highlights all the reasons why I left secondary teaching, yet conversely miss it.

I keep forgetting its on.  I don't watch telly as a rule but stumbled across this one because #3 teen was watching it a few weeks ago and was absolutely drawn in.  I think its a fantastic representation of what teachers and pupils have to deal with in an average day in our schools, more so the urban ones.  Mine are lucky enoug to attend a fairly decent, small rural school but I went to an inner city comp so recognise a lot of the personalities in that programme. 

'Jog on' asking for trouble?  A threat?  The girls in the office will wet themselves laughing when I tell them that.  Its randomism.  An old saying (Sweeny or something wasn't it?) that has been re-hashed but today's generation as a vague dismissal or put down.  I was told to 'jog on' by my colleague just last week after asking her a cheeky (derogatory) question and took it in good humour.  I've told my own kids to 'jog on' when they've asked for a taxi run.  Should I start ducking for cover from now on?

I (probably niavely) can't get over some of the over reactionary comments on this thread.  Do people really actually live in cotton wool world?  I think the OP handled the situation very sensibly and hope that all involved get the resolution they desire. 

• CD - I did a little straw poll tonight whilst on the touchline at a kids footy match. Not a SINGLE person thought "jog on" meant anything other than "bugger off" or similar.

I went to a school where people fought. The teachers would wade in within 30 seconds and we'd all be disappointed it was all over. We did the "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT" chant and we made the fight circle with our baying bodies. I don't think things have changed too much - except that now maybe the teachers are shit scared of losing their careers if they act to stop the fracas.image

• The cravendale milk advert (cats with thumbs) ended with the line "Jog on Kitties!" if it was generally considered a threat I'd have thought that would have received complaints.
  • Another straw poll... of my teenage children (18 and 19, = 20 next week) and the opinion of the term Jog On - basically it just means Bog Off! image
  • Just an update

an email to head of year asking for info on what action school took went unanswered.  I patiently gave her a week.  A voice mail I left similarly received no response so this morning I emailed the deputy head and said I wanted a response before the school break for half term.  5 mins later he emailed his reply .Basically the other child was immediately removed from mainstream school and he says other interventions are in place for that child.  Which is more or less what I knew.   Leaves a slightly bad taste that I had to pursue the school to get this info. 

Anyway it's over and done with now (hopefully).  

Glad I'm not the only one happily  believing jog on isn't a vile threat, that post really surprised me.

• i afraid that kids know now a days there  untouchable

• Just out of interest miffi, why does it matter so much that the other child was punished? you said that you already knew what happened, so why the need to chase it up so much?

Incidentally, i never thought jog on meant anything other than something along the lines of p155 off, and that's certainly how it has been used whenever I've heard it.

• toby.yes kids are untouchable nowadays that you can't physically beat them or sexually touch them without people taking umbridge...............

but there are other ways of dealing with it and hopefully putting in methods that help children understand why they do things............

whilst many might find it was better in the old days for the adult to beat the shoit out of the kid.........what did that teach the kid but the factb that those who arfe in charge are those who can hit hardest..........so confirming that they were right to hit smaller kids........

when these peopel leave school then they will still sort out their problems with violence until they get put in jail..........

if you can teach some of these children how to understand their emotions and also how then to deal with them appropriatley.........then you will keep them from spending ahlf of their life in and out of jail destroying many lives..........

yes it might not work for them all.but what have you lost.........nothing but a short term pleasure that the adult felt they were in charge......

a ggod teacher and system can work with out violence

• m.d6 wrote (see)

Just out of interest miffi, why does it matter so much that the other child was punished? you said that you already knew what happened, so why the need to chase it up so much?

Incidentally, i never thought jog on meant anything other than something along the lines of p155 off, and that's certainly how it has been used whenever I've heard it.

I had no contact at all from the school after I was asked to take my son home due to the 'damage' to his face.  I only heard the kid had been put in referral because that is what my son heard via the grapevine at school.  

I felt the school should have contacted me so I knew what action they had taken.   They didn't so I chased it up.  would you not have done the same?

• I think you have a right to know that an investigation had taken place and that action had been taken Miffi.............and as you hadn't heard then i think you were right to keep on asking...........

an investiagtion is important.............for all sets of parents.....because In some cases it can identify where all the children might have made mistakes and as a parent you will have the full facts so that you can discuss it in full with your child..............

even if its just to reassure you that your own child was not at fault...image..........because teenagers do not always tell their parents the full truthimage

I have had experience of being the parent on both sides of these mattersimage