Is starting too quickly a bad thing?

So, I did my first park run this morning wearing my Garmin 110. I ran these splits:

4:05
4:21
4:21
4:37
4:36

for 22mins in total.

I started a little too close to the front and was swept along probably faster than I should have been, and as you can see I slowed quite a lot around half way.

I just kind of assume this is a bad thing, and that the most efficient race would be at an even pace. What do people think? If I'd conserved a bit of energy for the second half could I have run, say 30 seconds faster?

Comments

• A 5k is pretty hard to pace well. You've got to really push all the way. There's no making up if you run the first bit too slow! Keep running them, and you'll learn to judge the pace a little better. Perhaps you need to look at it rather as how to hang on in there for longer - which might be more reps, or slightly longer reps in speed sessions, or focussing on keeping the pace going in tempo sessions. If you've got the stamina and the pain tolerance 2 miles is not that long to hang on for.
  • Within reason no - especially in a 5k. In a 5k you'll never get it back if you don't go hard for the first mile.

In a 10k or above it can lead to bad things but in a 5k I would recommend going out hard and keeping that going.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Depends what your style of racing is...be it out hard, and holding on, equal pacing or the tricky negative split.

Personally i find that all my pbs come from the first approach...like today, 5.24 for the first mile, and overall a 5.50 average pace for a big pb.

Others favour starting conservatively and upping it later, thinking  the boost they get mentally by over taking people.

I find that if i try this method, i just start slipping...whereas if you slip from the too fast pace you have somewhere to go, and have already banked time!

• It definitely has been a problem for me in the past......oh sorry....you're talking about running
  • I find negative splits mean you can give as much as you can at the end without fear of blowing up..
  • I read an article once that they did some research and the 5k is different to the longer distances..............they compared times of equal pacing and running off fast and trying to hold on and the running off fast came up with the faster times.................

It doesn't work with the longer distances though...........image

• Two things strike me about pacing.

You should cross the line with nothing more to give. If you start off slowly and then build up it is hard to get to that situation.

If you are ahead of target at half-way then that gives you the motivation to try and hang-on and maybe get a better time. If you are behind target it is not very helpful mentally.

Saying that one of the best races I ever had was when I was five minutes late for a trail/fell race (Guisborough Moors - evening route) and working my way through the field knowing that I was faster than all those immediately in front of me.

Recently started blog  -

Latest Post(s)
    Cheat, cheat, cheat 
    Marathon results from around Europe

Recently started blog  -

Latest Post(s)
    Cheat, cheat, cheat 
    Marathon results from around Europe

• I guess it depends on which park itself, the 'lay of the land', & whether you can recover after a rapid start.

I've only managed to do 2 (very first 2, I think?) of my local 'Park-Runs' due to work, but (up to press), I'm happy with a 21:20, on 'our' course

Don't let anyone tell you that Pontefract Race-Course is a 'flat-course', just because there's no fences, doesn't make it flat!image

• It does depend on how you run, I can only speak for myself, I've clocked a 19.10 trail 5k, still waiting for an opportunity to do a track based time trial though.

I do echo that you should finish with nothing left.
  • My 5k first mile is always fast which has always worked out ok for a 5K.  I do like to "Bank" a bit of time as Stevie G says.  It has worked ok in the past 10k & HM distances but I tried to do it at my last (hilly)HM ending with a very disappointing finish time and very very tired legs.  I usually manage a strong finish but the video clip of me running up to the finish was a shocker!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I suppose it depends on how fast you start compared to what your average pace should be for the distance, how long you're "too fast" for your level, and how quickly you settle.

At my 5mile,10k, and 10mile pbs set recently, I've done a first mile/km faster than the rest, but have quickly eased closer to the target pace by mile/km 2.

Distance            1st mile/km pace      Eventual average pace

5m                         5.30                          5.37
    10k                        3.20 (km)                 3.32 (km)
    10m                       5.24                          5.50

Also, the shorter the race, obviously the quicker your average pace will be,  so you have less scope to "get away" with too fast a start.

The 10mile race was a unique one for me as I actually ran it off a stopwatch rather than GPS for the first time in ages. This meant i didn't keep looking at my watch to "reign myself in", if it looked too fast, which I've often done at other races.

Suprisingly, that 1st mile at the 10miler is quicker than my target  5k pace...that's what can happen if you do a race where the winners run 48mins I guess!

The last race I tried to start the first km at the target pace, I found slowly dropped off as the race goes on.

As some ex running legend said, "whatever speed you start at, eventually you'll slow down. So start fast!"

• Doing the first mile fast has always worked out ok for me in the past and I have ran most of my decent times this way.  Flat 10K next Sunday which I will doing a faster first mile.  I held a pace that I couldnt maintain for 4 hilly miles of a HM last week which is something I wont be doing again!

• I really believe in negative splits for the most part, but 5k is an exception. As others have said, there's no time to get it back if you start too slowly - then again, it depends on your mentality. Do you prefer grimly hanging onto a pace, even when severely struggling? Or do you thrive on the pressure of chasing a time down when slightly behind the pace? Play to your mental strengths above any general strategy, I would say.

Also Mike, looking at your splits they're decently consistent; imagine if you'd started with 4:36. Would you then have run any faster than 4:05 on your final kilometre? If it's questionable, then perhaps you had the right strategy after all. If you think you might've gone faster by reversing your bookend kilometres, then maybe it's time to test that strategy out next time around. It's whatever you feel would be best. And nice time, by the way! image
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Moonlight wrote (see)
    I really believe in negative splits for the most part, but 5k is an exception.

Interesting.

But is it a question of balance ? I mean, it`s clearly a bad idea to go off too slowly in a 5 km race because, as lots of people have pointed out, you don`t have much time/distance to make it up. But equally, going out too fast just leads to  premature collapse (more realistically, a dramatic dropping off of speed) which doesnt seem very efficient either.

Perhaps the key is to go for something in between - pretty fast from the outset but at a pace you can maintain throughout ?

That would be consistent with my old coach who always got us to aim to do our reps at a consistent pace. He wasn`t too keen on doing mile (1) at 5`10 (or whatever it was) and then mile (2) at 5`20, mile (3) at 5`30 etc. He told us to go for 5 x 5`25.

I have tried to run my 5ks at a consistent pace but it never seems to work. Get a bit over-excited at the start and end up dying in mile 2.

• I definitely agree Beetle image Somewhere in the middle is the best option and especially if not going for superhuman times. 22:00 is rapid, but still 'slow' enough to manage to hit that even pace - whereas if you're shooting for the win in any given race, then tactics including opponents surging will come into it a lot more, and even splits become an impossibility. I reckon your coach was dead-on, especially for training purposes, and you should never deviate too much from an 'average' pace. image

With that said, even splits are always good in a 5k; but if pushed for either positive or negative (with even splits not being an option), I think it depends on the person. I personally would sooner start faster - despite the risk that you might get carried away and implode, it's better to have the option of scaling the pace back mid-race than leave yourself too much to do later. It's all about those margins though...and if Mike can tighten up his outlying splits by another ten seconds or so, I think more options become available in regards to energy management. All a bit complex!

(Thanks for the post also, I enjoy learning more!)