The Liversedge Half-Marathon

Comments

• Can only echo Tina's comments in thanking the event organisers. Despite the chronic stitch going down the steep down hill at 5 miles it was thoroughly enjoyable!
  • Ditto thanks to the race organisers and marvellous marshalls.  Very chuffed to get a pb of 1.40, hopefully will stand me in good stead for marathon in April.  Absolutely shattered now!!!
  • well done to all runners even with all sorts of times its the taking part that counts
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Just found sone pics online here: pics
  • Thank you to RO and marshalls and all helpers for all organisation and encouragement.  It was a great race.  Hard.  But worth it.  knocked 9 minutes off last year's times.  See you next year.  Sarah
  • My youngest weirdly enjoyed handing out jelly babies and jelly snakes, curious as he never shares his sweets at home, and we did notice that in addition to running style there is also the "picking sweets" style, I never knew people could over pronate at jelly baby picking! Hope we didn't add too many seconds to peoples times! Well done to everyone on that "gentle" run......!
  • Well...To say my achilles is sore this morning is an understatement!! OUCH!

Great run, some beautiful sceanry around also, the hills...well...I think everyone who did this yesterday will be glad to see the back of them for another year.

My first time doing the Liversedge half and I got a time of 1Hour 49Minutes 40Seconds. I'm very pleased with this. I was on for 1H 45M - at one stage but I just couldn't get my legs to go any faster.

I was going to go out for a slight jog this morning but I'm in agony with my achilles on my right ankle. Can hardly walk image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yes - aching here too Chris. No running for me today, might got for a walk lunchtime.

• A nice walk at lunchtime does sound more appealing...Got to keep moving!

Subway for lunch sounds great as well.

• image That was fun. Did rubbish as expected but was a good kick up the bottom at the start of the year. Enjoyed the Jelly snakes to cheers and see you guys soon somewhere else no doult.
  • Cake, have you thought about training?? image  It was good to see you & Sarah, will have to make arrangements to come down for a visit before the wedding.

It is so much easier spectating, I'm getting quite good at it now... this was my 2nd year of spectating at this event.  I should probably have a go at running it one year...

• image It’s just been one thing after another last few months. Christmas, manful, folk’s poorly and house move. If I can’t start training properly soon I might have to pull out of outlaw this year. Hopefully should be able to get some proper miles in soon. Was great to see you, Angie the big B and Mark as well. West sorry I couldn’t spot you at the start to say hello will do at Manchester.
  • First half marathon, 1h40. Chuffed. Walking like John Wayne today.
  • Thank you for the jelly snakes, they came at the right time - on the longest hill!!!!!

Well done all, I'm happy with my time too. Not a PB but at least it was around the usual HM time for me, and considering the hills, lack of speed sessions and two unwanted stops I dont think I did too bad.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Someone asked a while back about best way to run down hills - and I just replied I let my self go, do big strides and run fast. But I wasn't expecting to be running down hills as steep and as long as Liversedge - and I think main reason my legs are aching so much still is due to  those downhill sections. On one of the last downhills I felt something in my left foot go as it was continuosly slapping against the tarmac, and was worried I was going to come away with a nasty injury.

So - may have to re-address this. What do you think is best way to run down hills which will lessen impact and reduce chance of injury?

• It was me that asked the question buddy.

Someone mentioned "skipping" I tried this and felt something in my back go "click" it was only after a couple of minutes it went. Decided against that and just flew down that MASSIVE hill. I don't think I've ever gone down a hill that steep and at that pace! image

I'm in a pretty bad way still...my achilles and back are killing.

Noticed my ankle was quite a bit swollen which is a first, ICE on last night. Isn't as bad this morning which I'm glad about was supposed to be going out this afternoon but I think I'll give it a miss.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yes - will definately cause injuries if go running too early. I am training for a marathon April - but don't think I'll be running till Thursday - still having problems walking!

Take it easy - your body deserves a rest.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I looked up about downhill running on this website and others - and seems best way to tackle downhills is not to lean back but lean forward so body square with ground. Don't brake, but let yourself go, so run fast. Try to run on balls of feet as much as possible rather than heels - so would need to keep strides short.

I think it would feel a bit scary running like that to be honest - especially on some of those hills on sunday.

• image It was me with the skipping I do a few fell races like that sorry if your back got mucked up by it you ok?

If you guys enjoyed the hills check out Eyam and Buxton half marathons in May and June. Liversage is hard for them but those two are right beast's and would say marginally worse or better depending on your point of view. image

• what date is Buxton
  • They havn't said one yet assuming it will come through soon. normally first weekend in June or last one in May with the Queens anerverary bank holiday it might be mucking up there plans for the race.
  • Fairly pleased with 1st half marathon time (1hr 55mins) but think the 3 pints and pizza night before not the best idea plus the 4k run the day before! Never mind next year here comes a 1hr 45 or the trainers getting binned!!!
  • Did this as my very first half marathon.

Loved it & got in quicker than I had aimed for.

Can't wait to do it again next year.
  • ESES ✭✭✭

We are considering using chip timing next year, but we are very concerned about the extra cost. From what we can find out, it would cost an extra £2 per entry if we go down that route.

We are canvassing opinion as to if runners would be concerned by a £2 price hike.

Please could we have your opinions on this proposal.

• given it is not a high price to enter i would say it might be a good idea

had a good race this year never run so fast up the hills on that race
  • I'd be happy to pay the extra two quid and as Compo says, it's not a dear race
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    £2 is not much at all for chip timing in my opinion.
  • well it is a good race I found races in West Yorkshire are cheaper then lancs mind you enter chester marathon for the 3rd time and it cost £40 but worth it to the lengths they go to put on such a good race time chip name on race number everyone on route supporting all runners weather fast or slow i was on a high when i knocked 15 mins of it last year getting 3h44 this was even walking jogging in the last 6 miles but hopefully this year will do it non stop
  • I agree that an extra £2 for chip timing would be well worth it
  • ES wrote (see)

We are considering using chip timing next year, but we are very concerned about the extra cost. From what we can find out, it would cost an extra £2 per entry if we go down that route.

We are canvassing opinion as to if runners would be concerned by a £2 price hike.

Please could we have your opinions on this proposal.

I don't think you will lose any runners through it given the price off the race but you might gain a few. Know a at least a couple off people in the past who have been put off by there not being a chip system. Why they think they need to see if they can pb on the course I'm not sure. image