VLM 2012 Outsiders Thread

Comments

• Well done QSS, I did the same, got the 16 miles done before the snow came. Up at 6.00am and minus 6.5 degrees but worth it. image

Looking at the snow outside I can now spend tomorrow doing naff all.

Today's run was pretty good. Had Garmin problems - battery drains really quick so I tried pacing without too much glancing at my wrist. Went by instinct. At 13 miles I was only 30sec outside my half marathon PB! But felt pretty good though, and kept up the pace and got the 16 miles done in just under 3 hours. Pretty pleased with that as a long run.

Tired now though. Hot water bottle time!

Happy running & keep smiling.
  • Liking the ideas about the Ron Hill hats! It's so cold outside.

Sounds like you have all been prepared and did your long runs before the snow image

Wow leedslass thats a good time!

Have had a reasonable week with a good tempo run on Weds and speed session on Fri but so gutted was meant to do my 1hr 45min run today but have been thwarted by the snow image we never normally get much so thought I'd be ok but its about 6 inches.

Might try and squeeze in an extra run this week, hope the snow goes away fast! (Unless it is enough for the hubby to have a snow day hahaha)

Hope you all have a good week!
  • That's the one Sacco! image

mitiog wrote (see)
    We should all get Ron hill hats and have "Outsiders" printed on them!!!

Ha ha, great idea image

Like Bellabee I too was thwarted by snow yesterday -  as you know, I was going to walk instead but it was too deep even to do that  - well I tried and got about 100 yards - so I had to resort to plan C instead and did 22k on the bike indoors - that was all I could manage before my bum went totally numb and I had to get off. Still my calves are quite sore this morning so it must have been some use.

Well done to everyone who did get out on Saturday - you are hardcore! image

• I did 20 miles in the snow yesterday. I felt like Bear Grylls image

I'm so glad my OH suggested I wear her sealskinz socks otherwise it would have been much more unpleaseant.

• I love the the hat idea by the way image
  • Twenty miles in the snow! Sacco - I am in awe. Hope you still have your fingers, toes and other vital bits this morning.

I have day's holiday today and by a miracle the kids' schools are open so I plan lunch out with the old man, and  will maybe try a cross country run later on - still snowy and icy here, but above freezing so more slippy slush too.

• I was a less awe inspiring sight by the end of it though. image
  • mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Nice one Sacco! Wow!
  • Well done Sacco! Have 2 days holiday and just my luck a head cold! V grumpy ! Think I'll go for a brisk walk with my camera
  • *Bows down before the almighty Sacco*

Seriously dude - great running image

Siony - hot chocolate and marshmallows when you get back image

• Stupid snow! image 

Where I live it's gone where the sun hits but there are still big lumps of ice where it's been shady. Last night I managed  a couple of miles running/mincing/swerving/ walking until I gave in and did hill reps instead image 

• great running saccoimage

Snow and ice stopped me a bit as well as cold straight after a great 18 miler I did.

Light mornings are coming . Hope everybody keeps up the good work and has fun doing itimage

Screamy mincing - now there's a pic to play with.
  • STU - wrote (see)
    Screamy mincing - now there's a pic to play with.
    Mincing AND swearing - it wasn't pretty image
  • Screamapillar wrote (see)
    Mincing AND swearing - it wasn't pretty image
    we can't be pretty 24/7 - I knowimage
  • Speak for yourself Stu. I am always pretty.

Impressed that you're up to 18 miles. I'm going to do 17 this weekend - if weather permits I'm planning to run the perimeter of Rutland water which is a nice run with ducks to watch and things to distract me. It's so cold though! I went for a run this morning and it took ages before I felt wam again. On the plus side, much of the snow has gone, revealing the scarf adn hat that my daughter lost when she was sledging at the weekend.

Apart from the cold - have had 2 nice things happen at work this week so I'm in a good mood.

• lol Sarah - OK for you beauties I guessimage

Good luck on your 17. Your route sounds lovely too. Hope your week continues to be good.
  • It's taking ages for the snow to go down here- my favourite routes are like sheet ice! Think I did a 5 mile skate rather than run today!
  • More snow overnight image

Not as much as last time and the sun has come out so I'm hoping it will have gone by the time I get home. I  really DON'T want to do hill reps again.

Not sure where to run on Sunday - if it does warm up the canal is going to be stupdly muddy and just as slippery as running on snow but I want to make it flat and easy as I had to miss last week.

Hmm -  dilemma.....

• I am getting seriously bored with this weather now.

I've got 17 miles to do this weekend and the roads and paths rounds here have got 2 inches of snow on top of ice.

I don't want to go to treadmill, not sure I can get the car down our access road anyway. So, it could be a 4x repeat circuit of the farm tracks around our house with Yaktrax on my trainers. It will be a LSR with the emphasis on slow I think.

Well, for those who listen to MarathonTalk I guess I need to zip up my 'man suit' and get on with it. At least tomorrow look like it will be dry.

Good luck to everyone venturing out this weekend, be careful out there. image
  • mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Come to Wales! Can't guarantee sunshine but not a snowflake in sight!

Seriously though, take care out there.

12 for me tomorrow. It'll be my first training week ever of 30 miles so a bit nervous

(leedslass my Febulous LSR targets are not right because I panicked and chose some numbers...not ideal but I'm still 15 weeks out and I'm not really on a "plan" yet, just adding a couple of miles here and there...)

mitiog
  • Hi Mitiog, have you rivalled me in MarathonTalk? image
  • Blimey that was a cold run! But I have to say YakTrax saved the day.

Managed 8.5 miles. My hat froze, my breath froze on my face, and even my Gatorade froze!! Oh and the 'corned beef legs' when I peeled off my Ron Hills - nice! image

There is no way I'm going to manage 17 miles in these conditions. Running in snow & ice seemed a fair bit harder than normal.

So, I will try another 8 miler tomorrow and then go straight to 18 miles next w/e - back on track. Let's hope todays run hasn't tweaked anything. I feel fine at the mo but I'm sure you must change your running action a bit.

Good luck to everyone running this weekend. Stay safe and enjoy.
  • opted for treadmil today-but hoping to do deal half tomorrow

I think you must run differently in these conditions- its the uneven/ hard ground that seems to upset my achilles.

I overpronate and wear orthotics but these conditions are more than my poor ankles can take- caused me to hobble down stairs last few days! but fine on treadmil today.

have a great weekend folks- off to work for me now

• No way I could run yesterday with the roads so slippery. I walked to a farm and back - 5 miles to buy some eggs and nearly went over three times. It was -12 yesterday morning here. Today is much better - but lots of ice and snow still on the ground. Rutland water will be too icy to run. Main roads  are clear - but covered in traffic. Small rural roads that I normally run on will be quiet but still icy. I'm going to take the car round an 8 mile loop of medium roads to see if it looks OK, and if so try a run this afternoon - maybe doing it twice if I can beat the light. A bit frustrating, but it  is supposed to warming up to a toasty 4 or 5 degrees tomorrow. Take care eveyone.
  • Deal half canceled after more snow this morning - not much but enough to hide the ice. V teadious 10 mile on treadmill .
    On the optimistic side- clocks forward in 6 weeks
  • I missread my training plan and ran 15 instead of 13 yesterday. image

It felt good though.

• Hi Outsiders,

Sorry to hear the ice and snow were still getting in the way of everyone's running at the weekend. I did actually manage 14 miles, the last 5 on a very icy towpath, but I did it in 2.43.55 which I was really pleased with under the circumstances, especially with other added hazards which included nearly tripping over a dog (and a rat!), almost being bowled over by another crazy dog and having to squeeze past bridge works which only left about a foot between me and a frozen canal image I felt as stiff as a board towards the end and my right knee was a bit twingey because of all the lumps and bumps but it feels much better today.

I am sooooo tired though.... image

Weather warming up this week - THANK DOG! image

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Morning Outsiders,

I had good weather at the weekend so got out and did 12 faster than ever! Made a big difference having no wind and rain to contend with. *looks out of window* but it's raining now though!
  • Raining in London too - and still bliddy freezing - 8C - my arse! image

Well done on the 12 miler Mitiog.

I think my legs have stopped working image

• 12°C on Friday! Please let it be true.