VLM 2012 Outsiders Thread

Comments

• oh god- achilles pain

is it too late to go to see a pod for custom made orthosis/ gait analysis

told about profeet in fulham- ironically exactly 1yr ago- exactly same problem that vanished as soon as i made the phone call

so have made an appointment

• siony wrote (see)

oh god- achilles pain

is it too late to go to see a pod for custom made orthosis/ gait analysis

told about profeet in fulham- ironically exactly 1yr ago- exactly same problem that vanished as soon as i made the phone call

so have made an appointment

Custom orthos do take a few weeks to get used to  - during which you would need to reduce your mileage - so not ideal at this stage. Perhaps there's a short term solution your pod could offer in the meantime? 

Hope it works out OK.

12c would be nice Sacco image

• I just saw a woman in 6 inch heels she couldn't walk in - now THAT was mincing! image
  • Work mates were fab today. I'm running the VLM2012 for the British Heart foundation. They had organised a 'valentines' cake bake for me and raised nearly £90!!

Fantastic cakes and buns in offer - I could partake with clear conscience as I did a hill session on the treadmill at lunchtime!! image

Things like that make the training a little easier.

Hope everyone's training is going ok - keep running, keep smiling.
  • Thats fab leedslass image

I need to get publicising my charity too - I've set up the justgiving page just not told anybody  yet. And it's got a pretty picture of a helicopter on it too so it's really worth looking at image

Well done on the treadmill session.  I'm off out for a plod this evening although my legs are still a bit sore from Sunday.

• Hope your achilles pain is easing Siony. I only managed 8 miles on Sunday before it was getting dark, so rejigged work commitments and went out for 16 this morning. Only I feel so tired this afternoon that I am having difficulty concentrating on what I am supposed to be doing.

I also need to make some plans for The Day. Are we planning to meet up afterwards? (I would like to). And can anyone who's been before tell me whether there is any way to have a shower near the finish, or should I plan on having to go back to my uncle's house in the suburbs? Or is it worth booking a central hotel for the Sunday night so that I can have a wash, a drink and a leisurely evening before travelling home on the Monday. What is everyone else doing?

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Exciting! Marathon fever is nearly here! Well, 14 weeks away for me, but it's good to hear you're making plans Que Sera!

Well done on the fundraising Leedslass - that was a lovely idea image I agree hills make up for a multitude of culinary delights image

Easy 6 for me on Monday and just back from an easy 8 tonight. I've started trying to do some strength training too...no idea if it's worth it but I'm losing quite a bit of weight at the moment so I need to tone up!
  • Morning all,

Just a short one with some fartleks this morning -  I'm no good before brekky. Should have gone last night really but I am a lazy cuss.

Que Sera: I think the meet-up's being planned though the  supporters at Mudchute. I'd love to go too but I know if I feel anything like I did last time the only thing I'll really want to do is go home and not move for several days - I was wiped out. Pizza never tasted so good though!

I know that charities provide massages and food after the race but no showers as far as I know - I went equipped with those deodorant wipe thingies but I still wouldn't have wanted to sit next to me on the tube image

I live in London but if I was travelling down I would definitely consider staying over until the Monday.

• Hi Outsiders!

Well after missing my long run the week before because of the snow I got struck down by a throat infection (beyond painful!) and a cold. So only managed to get out for a run on Sunday and decided to take it easy, then did another easy run last night and have a speed session planned for tonight image but feels good to be back after a week off! Starting to get very scared about how close we're getting to the big day.

Que Sera: we're staying over on Sat and Sun nights, don't recall any showers 8 yrs ago but our hotel was only a few mins away so didn't even think about it lol We're staying a bit further away this time so may give the wipes a whirl!

Well done on the fundraising leedslass image

Mitiog you'll have to let us know how the strength training is going I could do with toning up a few areas!
  • 2 months, 5 days 17 hours to be precise Bellabee - WIBBLE!

Glad you are feeling better now and that the training's back on course image 

Has anyone got anything special planned as a reward after the big day? My OH is taking me to Le Gavroche for lunch. We went last time I ran the FLM -  luckily we planned it for the Thursday which was the first day I was actually able to walk properly after the nasty blisters. The lovely nosh made up for it though - well almost image

• Afternoon!

Well I missed my speed session last night because hubby has finally decided to do the VLM and wanted to go out for a run! We both got ballot places last year but I had to defer because I had my daughter by c-section the Oct before and hubby deferred because he hurt his knee. He was gutted because he'd done so much training and he does not enjoy running lol. So we both have places for this year but he hasn't done much training so wasn't going to do it but now he is image Really didn't want him to miss out!

The train tickets have arrived today as well so it seems even more real, quite excited though as they are first class image they were only about £15 extra in total so we thought why not!

That sounds lovely Screamapillar! Don't have anything planned except we are staying in London till Mon afternoon!

Hope you all have a great weekend of running!
  • Hello all
    Cautiously happy re achilles - must have been uneven frozen trails
    Did my long run today as busy weekend coming up- archery is my other hobby!
    28k longest run to date- absolutely knackered now though- does anyone else notice that in long run days they are not capable of doing much after?
    Happy weekend running all
  • Would be fun to meet after
    Que sera Sarah- booked hotel- docklands - more than welcome to use the facilities
  • Hurrah! 18 miler done. Had some tough moments but managed to hold it together. It's been a hard 3 weeks building up to this long run and I felt very heavy legged in the few days leading up to it.

Not too much damage to the legs the day after! Did a 4 mile brisk walk today to loosen off and all seems well. So, altogether pretty pleased.

Glad of a recovery week coming up. 3 times 5 milers with an 8 miler at the end of the week before the build up to 22 miles.

It's all getting quite close now - into single figures - only 9 weeks to London. Gulp!!

Hope everyone's training went well this weekend.
  • Totally bleah yesterday image

Just about managed to run 6 and a half, walked another mile and a half and had to quit - not a prayer of doing 15 miles. I think I have a bit of lurgy as my stomach was a bit off too yesterday but it's a total bugger. Just have to tell myself it was a drop back week and get on with it image

Well done leedslass!

Siony - I feel totally wiped after my long runs too, I don't recover properly until Wednesday. I suppose feeling alert today is some compenstaion for yesterday's crapness I suppose.

• Wow! Well done leedslass and Siony on your long runs. I managed 2 hrs yesterday, my longest to date but totally ran out of energy at 1.5 and had to run/walk last 30 mins.

Think I need to start taking some form of energy during the run - what does everyone else use?

Sorry to hear your not well screamy! Hope you're feeling better soon!
  • Hi Bellabee,

I think you will need to start taking on some extra 'fuel' now you're going past the 90 minute mark. General thoughts are thats when you've used up most of your stored carbs. I find 8 miles is about my limit - which is around the 90 mins at my ploddy pace!

I'm experimenting a bit to see what works best for me. I know I can't stomach the VLM sponsored product - its wayyyyy too sweet for me, so I have to find something else.

On Saturday I found I was ok with 1 gel (Maxifuel) at 8 miles, then a couple of dextrose tablets every couple of miles with a few Jelly Babies thrown in. I drink a bottle of sport drink throughout too. Seemed to work ok for me but I know refuelling can be very individual.

As things get longer, I think I will add a gel.

I also ate 2 portions of porridge on the Thurs & Fri before!! image

• I love apple flavour high5 gels. I managed to down five of them during my 16 miler on Sunday with no ill effects. image
  • Wow  - it's so windy! I had planned to do my long run for the week today - about 17 or 18 miles - but I could barely stand up. I did 9 which I'm happy with, considering the weather, and will do a long run at the weekend instead.

I don't have a fuelling strategy, really, but I did have some Turkish delight at the furthest point of my 16 mile run last weekend which was yummy. Mostly I just drink water if I need to drink, but I find I can manage the blue powerades if i have to. They look terrible but they taste more palatable to me than most of the other goo.

I hope you are feeling better Screamy and that your bad run wasn't a sign of illness. Sometimes you just have an off day.

• Hi all,

I definitely had some sort of bug on Sunday but I am ok now. Did a hilly 4.4 miles last night.

Even the thought of gels makes me want to image so I just have jelly beans and water with Lucozade sport about mile 8, come the race itsellf I shall be having cereal bars at miles 8,16 and 24 and  Lucozade Sport whenever it's available.

I do actually prefer jelly babies as they are easier to eat but beans take up less space, come in more flavours and don't leave icing sugar everywhere. image

It's important to refuel, especially if you are a 5 hour+ runner. If you think about it on the day you'll have breakfast about 7-7.30 and will be finishing the race at somewhere around 2-3 in the afternoon. You wouldn't normally go that amount of time without eating, even if you weren't also running 26 miles and burning off all those calories so you should eat as much as you can stomach and as time allows.

When you finish it's good to get some salt in you too - my OH has been ordered to be ready with a big bag of crisps! image

• Crisps are a brilliant idea! I haven't thought about my post run food.
  • Off for an 18 miler in a moment. It's warm here today- sunny and 14 degrees! Woohoo ! Going to try a gel today- but will do a route that goes past 2 public loos and a shop in case of emergencies!
  • Hope it goes well siony - good plan for the route image
  • Home and feel Suprisingly good!
    Won't say it's getting easier but find can he my pace more consistantly.
    Sun today was most welcome( didn't we have snow 3 weeks ago?
    Managed 30k in 2:46
    Not including 2 pee stops! Think may hsve drunk too much. Gel may take a bit of getting used to- do you think I could get away with just lucozade sport drinks?
    Hope you are all as lucky with the weather and enjoy your runs
  • mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    I've got a bug...not been out for a few days. Got sent home from work. Been feeling tired for a while now and it's all caught up with me. Trying not to panic! Must concentrate on getting better! I may drop back to 3 runs a week rather than 4. I've been increasing my miles really slowly (I've added about 2 a week since Christmas) but even so I feel so washed out walking seems like too much effort never mind running!

Good running Siony image Keep it up!
  • Great stuff siony image

Spring has sprung so it seems and yes, it does seem odd after it being freezing cold and snowy just a couple of weeks ago - ah well, that's Britain for you image

Hope you feel better soon mitiog - the trouble with these things is that while you feel fine after a few days you're still not running fit.

Definitely don't panic though - we are all pretty much at the stage where we could "get round"  if we had to and there are still 8 weeks to go.

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Hmm I definitely haven't done enough to get round (1x14 and a few 12's) but then I've got longer til Edinburgh...I've gone from being really excited about it to feeling rubbish about the whole thing in the space of a week! Maybe my mojo'll come back when I'm feeling better. It's like Taper Madness without the carbo-loading and the race to look forward to - every time I feel a twinge in my body I assume it's at least an injury severe enough that I'll never run again and probably it's nothing, just the bugs being buggy!
  • Hi all. A few February blues about with cold & sickness bugs around!

Hope everyone feels better soon if suffering. image

I'm having a complete weekend off- no running at all. The last week really caught up with me so, as this was down as a recovery week, I did my long run of 8 miles mid-week. That's left the weekend clear! image

Recovery is training too! That's what my legs were telling me anyway. So, I'm a sofa surfer this weekend!

Fingers crossed those bugs clear up and folk have a good run if your running.

Back to it Monday for me.

• sorry to hear of all the injuries now starting to show, these distances now are the times now when your body's screaming at you to stop and sometimes you have no choice but to listen to it.
    Fingers crossed so far im doing ok, had a head cold all week so was a bit sceptical about a LSR today but managed to pull a torturous 20 mile out the bag. 2 x 18 the previous weekends so may knock it back abit this week and recover a bit. Cant believe its 8 weeks today!!! Ashby 20 booked for Mar as a 'Pace' training run to resist the urge to run off too fast with everyone.
    Good luck everyone and listen to your body!!!
  • I'm so lucky to have yoga as my primary cross training tool. It really teaches you to listen to your body, as well as strengthening intrinsic weaknesses while stretching out my tight hips and ITB. Sometimes you just have to cut down on the miles and recover!

http://yoga4runners-clapham.eventbrite.com/