Options

VLM 2012 Outsiders Thread

Comments

• Options

Hi Outsiders,

Hope this weekend's running wasn't too arduous for everyone. My 15 miler went really well - never felt so fresh between 6-9 miles - it was amazing. Only wish it could be like that every week! 

• Options

Great stuff Screamy. I managed 18 miles yesterday, but found it very hard, especially between 13 and 15 miles which was a lot of uphill.

Richard - I'm also doing Ashby 20, but it will be my first 20 miles for this marathon. I did it about 4 years ago and enjoyed it - sort of. Long way, though.

Off up to Yorkshire to look for gibbets (it's my job), then a weekend in Paris (also my job) so won't be online much this week. Hope all goes well and everyone feels recovered and chirpy again soon.

• Options

Well done Que Sera - I avoid hills after about 8 miles so I'm not surprised you were tired image

Dare I ask what the gibbets are for??

This morning I'm really surprised at how good my legs feel after yesterday. I think my body has finally "got it" and has given in to the training image

• Options

Dear Adelphi Theatre:

Yes, I would love to go and see "Sweeney Todd" but no, I'm not prepared to pay £86 if I want a decent seat and I'm certainly not prepared to pay £32 for a seat at the back of the Upper Circle.

Yes, I can afford it but frankly can think of a much better use for that amount of money. So you can stick it. Thank you.

• Options

hmmm, was that comment intended for this post lol

• Options
    Richard Worrall 4 wrote (see)

hmmm, was that comment intended for this post lol

Nope, clicked into the wrong thread - still, I do own this one so I can say what I like image

Got my race pack for the Cambridge Half yesterday image

They print your name under your running number which is a nice touch. It's a very strange loopy course though - hope there are plenty of marshals!

• Options

I got my pack for the Ashby 20 which looks extremely well-organised. I jsut keep thinking that a marathon is SUCH A LONG WAY. And I will be far too tired. What was I thinking?

The gibbets are in relation to a research project I'm starting on the various powers of the bodies of executed criminals in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. I am an academic (obviously - nobody would let me do this sort of thing in the real world). Had a couple of good days in Yorkshire and back last night. Since I'm away at the weekend I have decided to do a medium long run today and Monday (10 and 12 miles) instead of a single long long one at the weekend. Did 10 this morning in the fog and am now catching up on all the missed emails.

Body still sort of holding together. touch wood.

• Options

I was thinking the same thing last Sunday Que Sera - naughty as it would have been to increase the mileage beyond what ot should hve been, I was thinking at one point I might do 16 so I could have a drop back week. But when I actually got to 15 I really was ready to stop.

I only know I will be able to do another 11 miles because I've done it before - otherwise I would have major doubts.

Goodness your project sounds really interesting! I'm going back to volunteer at the Museum of London in the summer, helping out in Human Osteology. I had a whale of a time last year repackaging the remains of medieval monks image

• Options
    Home after Thanet 20
    Went well overall - not chipped so time from garmin 2:54-
    Had to have a pee though- by mile 14 was desperate !
    Gave the locals as scare as I came charging Into broadstairs loo!
    Last mile was hard but today has made me realise how far ive come since last November
    Hope everyone is well x
  • Options
    That is really fantastic, Siony - well done. I've been out for 12 miles this a.m. to compensate for spending the weekend filling my face with lovely French food instead of running. It's very windy, but sunny and starting to look like spring. Need to get on with my work now, so just checking in to say hi (by the way, I've now decided to book a room in central London for the night before and the night after the marathon, so I won't need to stay with distant relations). Only 7 weeks now!
  • Options

Hi all and really well done Siony - wish I could run that fast!

Did 16 miles in 3.06 yesterday and was dead on my feet at the end. I'm at the stage where I'm thinking that this whole idea is nuts and wondering where I'm going to find another 10 miles. Thank goodness the Cambridge Half gives me a drop back week this Sunday  image

• Options
    Morning all - how is everyone doing?
    Lighter week for me and going for 25 miler today.
    Can't believe how fast time is going- only 2 more long runs after today!
    Think my friends and family are suffering from marathon overload and will be glad when I'm back to normal running!
  • Options
    I mean 15 miler! Lol
  • Options

25 would have been pretty dedicated Siony image 

OK grump time. The Cambridge Half turned out to be pretty annoying on a few counts yesterday. I just missed a PB (by less than a minute) which was bad enough but later realised that even if I had made it it wouldn't have been recorded because despite the chip, only the finishing time was recorded and not the start time.

I only know this because I missed the start because of the horrendous loo queues (another cause for complaint) and it's the only thing that can explain the 4 minute discrepancy between the time on my watch and my official time.

The guy scanning the chips was well over the finishing line anyway so even faster runners will have had 10-15 seconds added onto their time. Bliddy annoying. image  

• Options
    Morning all....been following on and off for a few weeks, but thought I would pop in and introduce myself.

VLM this year will be my second and last marathon. I of course said never again last year after finishing in 4:51 (turned the half in 2:04 which tells you a story about the second half!). So I am doing this to prove I am better than 4;51 and also for a great charity.

What I am working on mostly is fuelling. Getting that strategy right but need to now work on sodium intake as I sweat a bit and have a crusty white residue after long runs. That was my downfall at VLM last year.....cramps on 16 miles on a day that hit 28 degrees C.

Did Bath Half last weekend on another hot day and felt twinges in the last mile but on the plus side got a pb and sub 1:50 with a 1:49:23 image

So off to research sodium intake and prep for my 18 miler this weekend.

Nice meeting you all!
  • Options
    Hello phatboyrunning -it does seem v confusing knowing what we need to eat! My current dilemma is how to get enough carbs but avoiding putting on weight- especially when I start to taper.
    Your cramps may be related to low potassium - may be worth looking at aswell as sodium. Sports drinks on the run rather than water may be a good source of sodium aswell as fluids and carbs for you?
    Good luck with the research and keep us posted

Screampiller- there are never enough loos- I usually que, pee and then go to the back of the que again !

Any advice re food and tapering from the more experienced marathoners?
  • Options
    leedslassleedslass ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, my main concern is I cannot tolerate Lucozade gels! They upset my tummy! ?? Bit of an issue when they are the gel of the main sponsors. So, trying to find an alternative. I struggle with ordinary Lucozade too - I have to dilute it with water 1/2 and 1/2. So, if it's another warm one I think High5 rehydration tablets dropped in the water bottles may be needed.

Still trying to nail down the carb situation.
  • Options
    Siony - going for a capsule that has boith sodium and potassium in it (SaltSticks)as well as eating bananas like they are going out of fashion. The caps are small, so will drop them in a tic-tac box and wash one down an hour with water.

Leedslass - I moved away from Go? and Lucozade gels a while back. I now use Hammer Nutrition gels (http://www.hammernut.co.uk/), they are all natural and washed down with water are brilliant. I really recommend them, I did the Bath Half, took 3 on the way round and felt great.

• Options

Hello everyone. I've had a nice few days - did my long run round the perimeter of Rutland Water on Friday which was lovely. I certainly haven't got nutrition sorted - adn I know I'm leaving it late now. Will try out some lucozade stuff this weekend at the Ashby 20 and see if that's OK. if I can bear it, I'd far rather not have to carry anything. Welcome to the thread Phatboy.

• Options
    Good luck for the ashby 20- wishing there was one by me in the next few weeks- much more fun than another 20 miler on my own.
    Just done a 10 at mp- with my brain moaning the whole way around! Starting to get quite tired now- just 3 more long run ( oh and then the big one! Eek)
  • Options
    Managed a 6.5 mile 'recovery' run last night. Legs felt ok but a small tweak in the left calf/heel area.

Got a long one this weekend, circa 18 miles. Was going out on Sarurday, but the weather looks pants so will probably go early Sunday morning. Got the Mother in law over for mothers day so any excuse to get out image
  • Options
    mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Leedslass - try torq gels, they have a different ratio of carbs in compared to Lucozade ones.

16 for me tomorrow, if the weather holds out! I'm rubbish at running in wind and rain.
  • Options
    Hello all- second 20 done today- bit slower pace today- starting to feel quite tired now. Thinking shoter long run next week and then a final 22. Would quite like my life back now!!
  • Options

Did Ashby 20 today - a superb event - really well organised. I found it hard and am certainly wondering where I'm going to get another 6 miles from. But I did finish and was running (nearly) all the way. Cup of tea now. A shorter long run next weekend and then a final long long run to go, I reckon.

What a way to spend mother's day!

• Options
    i did it also Sarah, what was your time?
    was well organised definetly, perfect weather, just a shame some of them hills seemed to drag on forever!!!
  • Options
    Well done to the 20 milers. I managed 20 yesterday and was absolutely delighted. Looking back on the last 12 months I have changed my running shoes (Newtons) and style (forefoot), improved my fuelling, fluids and mineral intake and am starting see the results. Came in yesterday in 3:00:45. Damn you 45 seconds! And the last mile was a 8:33.

The one thing that worries me is the weather, last year was soooooo hot! I reckon a couple more long runs, then start easing back to April 22.....
  • Options
    Good stuff Siony, Richard and Phatboy. I was 3.35, which is fine by me (I'm very much a back-of-the-pack gal). To my surprise I'm feeling pretty much fine today - just a mild ache in my thighs but nothing that makes me think twice about stairs. I did try some gels on the Ashby run and found them fine, so that's reassuring. They weren't lucozade ones though so I should try to buy some of those in the next few days so i can try them out. It also looks like I'll need new running shoes since my current pair now have a hole in!
  • Options

Hi Outsiders, 

I was feeling pretty fed up all last week so didn't post - didn't want to bring the mood down. After the disappointment of Cambridge I then had a sore hip for a few days and when I went out for a short run towards the end of the week I felt dead on my feet.

Anyway I did a 17 miler yesterday in 3.15 and felt really good again, didn't even start to tire until the last mile and a half and feel pretty good today. My quads feel a bit tight but they are not too sore.

I now have the choice of doing a 19 miler then starting the taper with the Reading Half or doing 18, then 20 instead of Reading and tapering after that.

Great running everyone - nearly there now! image

• Options

Hi Screamapillar

am i welcome here

i'm unsure TBH where i fit in in life, let alone on a thread

You probably are aware i'm not a novice, not in running terms or in marathon terms

• Options

Yo Mick - not chatted in a while, Hope all is well with you image

Of course you are welcome here, good to have you on board - you're trying to get down to support this year aren't you?