VLM 2012 Outsiders Thread

Comments

• Hi

yes hoping to get ot mudychutey  image to support

joined Fetchpoint last year at 13 / 22

i have been asked by a couple of close friends,

why if i'm that passionote about what i do, why i dont lurk at 1 mile and when elite women & wheelchairs have gone, then make a go for it, pulling out at say 25.5

i'm pondering it TBH, Phil would love it

its not the runinng, it's all the hastle and that gives me a time restriction factor

• Yo Allimage

Nice to see you on here Mick and Phil. Lovely to see how you guys and gals are progressingimage Inspirational!!!

Been a bit busy and only do flying visits on forum these days.

Done 16s and 18s now got my second 20 on sunday and 22 two weeks later before tapering down. Bit nervous but just gonna enjoy it.
  • I'll get you for this Butler

i hate you Butler

imageimage

Gonna have to change my pic again-lol

Nice to see you both at Crewe De ja vue mara image

• Just in from a four miler in my new Newtons....arrived yesterday and I will use them for my mid week runs. My Newton Motions have done 350 miles and want to use them for VLM, and the new ones are Distance S, slightly less cushioning in the heel but are wicked. Bright yellow with red laces.....I glow according to my son!

Anyone trying out gels, I can't recommend Hammer Nutrition enough, they are so good and all natural.

Good luck with the runs peeps, I am planning a 20 something this weekend...
  • Good luck on 20  something Phatboyimage I have one too on Sundayimage

Never tried gels -are they really better than jelly babies?
  • I never have Stu, the very thought makes me image but I am thinking of giving them a try if only for the fact that you need fewer of them.
  • Hello All. Mick and Phil! Lovely to have you on the thread! You guys are inspirations.

Doing a shorter run this weekend (about 12-13 miles) as I'm at my mum's, but it's very hilly round hers so it will be hard work, then a final 20 the following weekend and then just shorter runs till the 22nd. i feel very underprepared for this marathon - it's not been an easy time workwise or lifewise to get all the regular runs in.

Screamy - I tried gels at Ashby 20 because they were provided by the organisers and actually it was fine. There is the big advantage that you don't have to carry your own provisions then.

On the downside I made the mistake of taking a jelly baby for later and putting it in my back pocket. I didn't get round to it and when I came to get undressed... well, it turns out that a warm damp environment for a jelly baby for a couple of hours  produces something quite horrible.

• Screamapillar wrote (see)
    I never have Stu, the very thought makes me image but I am thinking of giving them a try if only for the fact that you need fewer of them.
    mm -got me wondrin tbh Screamy. I may consult with Barry The Baton who is now with me in Crewe ready for VLMimage

Try to enjoy your hillwork QSSimage
  • Que Sera Sarah wrote (see)

On the downside I made the mistake of taking a jelly baby for later and putting it in my back pocket. I didn't get round to it and when I came to get undressed... well, it turns out that a warm damp environment for a jelly baby for a couple of hours  produces something quite horrible.

I've done that before - yuck! image
  • I have of late being sucking jelly babies or midgets gums - ( bit like tiny wine gums ) when i'm in bed

and i dropped some one night, and found them next moring tangled and mangled in our sheet and my vest image

• Mmmmm lovely. I have now officially decided not to keep any jelly babies tucked into my cleavage for emergencies. I don't think I'd ever get them apart again.

Gorgeous day here! Will go out for a run later this p.m. and hope it keeps sunny. So - I got my VLM magazine today with more copious and lengthy instructions than I have ever seen for anything, including planning student fieldtrip risk assessments.

Thanks for wishes Stu - I've printed out a route for myself on which I will almost certainly get lost but looking forward to sometime with the curlews and sheep out on the tops,

Sarah

• My mag also here- now I'm panicking about getting there- blue start - blackheath- anyone know if it's walking distance from Greenwich dlr station? Or do I have to go to London bridge to get a train?
    Lovely day here- fast 17 mile in shorts- legs are v white!
  • not got my start and reg. info yetimage
  • Hi all,

Don't worry Stu, it'll be there soon, mine came this morning image

Siony, I'm on the blue start too and from what I remember when I was on the red start  the blue wasn't too much further away so I'm pretty sure you will be able to get there from Greenwich although it will be a longer walk. If you imagine the famous gates on the telly, if you are on the red start coming through them you are facing the blue start in the distance (the bit where all the balloons are).  

• All the starts are pretty close to each other so most stations are ok.

STU...Re gels v jelly babies....I can't do jelly babies as I find chewing and running difficult on the breathing. Each gel has around 100 calories and is easily taken. Plus, it is in its own little water/sweat tight wrapper! With gels, I have a programme of exactly when to take them Which is roughly every 3 miles. It really motivates me to get through the miles to my next gel. May be making a difference or may be just messing with my head but it works for me!

Tip if you want to use jelly babies put them in a money bag you get from the bank. Stops them getting all gunky.

Good luck with the runs this weekend peeps. My number arrived yesterday...not long to go now and I can ditch the trainers and get on the bike!
  • well got me reg form this morning too Screamsimageimage Seems a bit more real now. Blue start for me. Just wondrin' if that refers to the colour of you at the finish too-lol

Ta for info Phatboy. May try some gels before -see how they areimage Can see how they could motivate you. At least I wont have to carry wet water as plenty is 'en route as they say.

All enjoy your weekend stints wont you!?

xx

• i stil hate u Butler

fasbulas days of laughter - that can still been enjoyed on UK GOLD

• LOL - yeh have had 'em on ITV3 until recently. Don't make comedy's like that anymore.
  • STU - wrote (see)

well got me reg form this morning too Screamsimageimage Seems a bit more real now. Blue start for me. Just wondrin' if that refers to the colour of you at the finish too-lol

Nah, if that were true I'd definitely be on red image

Did 8 miles this morning - way too hot for me - phew!

• well done on your 8 screamyimage Easy 5 for me and it was warm.

I may be glowing a bit after 20 at the weekend.

• My 20 something became 20.3 miles yesterday. That was sooooooo hard, I was really suffering in the last 3 miles. It really took me back to VLM last year and reminded me just how tough it is it run in hot weather when all our training has been in the cold. No cramping so the salt caps are working, but I have to say that I was dead on my feet. The prospect of another 6 miles was worrying. Saying that I did a 20 last weekend in cool weather and had plenty in the tank at the end.

I ran both at the same pace and it has taught me that I will really need to slow up of we get a hot day on 22/4. Glad that's my last 20 miler, got a 14 this weekend while I am on holiday in Southwold....seaside running image

Good luck with the runs people, take it easy in this heat!
  • Hi all - seems I got off lightly. I ran just over 13 miles but in N Yorks it was still cool and foggy till lunchtime so no problem with the conditions. Having said that - the first half was nearly all uphill and some of it very steep, so it was quite hard (but nice in the second half). Final 20 miles this coming weekend and then that's it for long long runs - another 13 ish and then about 10 the week before, I reckon.

Phatboy - if you can manage 20 miles in hot weather and going fast you will be really fine.

Have a good week everyone.

• Yes you'll be fine if you managed to run fairly quickly in the heat. 

Hi Que Sera - Not sure exactly what I'll do for the taper but will be doing 19 early tomorrow (have had to plan a whole new route thanks to just 300m of the towpath being dug up - grrr image ) and may repeat that Monday week. I've decided that seeing the 20 mile marker come up on the course will be a bigger boost than slogging through it in traiing so I'm going to leave the long runs at that.

I've decided not to do Reading - I know if I run it I'll race it and if I race it I'll risk getting injured so I'm erring on the side of caution.

I can't believe we are down to the last couple of long runs - it seems to have come around so quickly! image

• well done all on you big uns image

Yip time is flying -just wish I was.

Managed 20.1 miles in 3hrs 33mins. Not exactly quick but will do for an old fart with COPD-lol

Sarah- I love North Yorkshireimage. What a wonderful place to run (though pretty hilly)

lovely clip Richard image

• Can't believe we're nearly there
    Last long run on fri coming for me
    Not sure I remember what I used to do before training??