VLM 2012 Outsiders Thread

Comments

• It's starting to get really close now! Sometimes can't wait for it to be over so I can have my life back but then panic and think I could use a few more weeks training!

Managed 16 miles on Sat, found it really tough in the heat and will not be mixing high5 gel and lucozaade sport again! Hoping to do 18 on Sat, last long one image A lot of it for me is the mental side of it as well, hoping I will find it easier on race day when there'll be a lot more distractions!

• Abingdon rolling countryside 2006

with hit 20 miles in 2:58, and finshed in 4:03

with all my expereince that day, over the last 10k, heading for a new ( M&P) pb, my head became light, my legs turned to jelly, my excitement almost took its toll

• Bellabee

high 5 and lucozade - what happened ?

• Got really bad stomach cramps and a stitch and ended up walking for a mile, the orange one was ok it was the mixed berries, maybe I drank too fast but won't be mixing them again. SIS gels and lucozade seem to be ok so will give them a try next time, at least I'm finding out now and not on race day image

Well done on 4:03 have heard that route is undulating as well! I'm hoping for 5:15 but seem to go to pieces in the last few miles...
  • Bellabee

tis my whole point, find out now and not race day

people should stop all experimenting now -

stick with what you know, 

seem to go to pieces in last few miles ??

why  

• Hi Outsiders image

My 19 miler went well today, my only beef being with British Waterways. Having planned a whole new (and harder) route I got to the to the canal to run in the opposite direction only to find that the workmen weren't even there, all I needed to have done was walked the 300m across the dug up bit - gits!

Came home and had lovely barbecued Aberdeen Angus burgers for lunch in the garden - yum! image

I feel so much fitter than just a couple of weeks ago when I struggled through those last 3 miles at Cambridge, it's weird.

• That's brilliant Screamy - and 19 miles of a hrader route should make you feel even more confident, even if it was unnecessary. I got out for 8 and a half miles yesterday a.m. before it got hot. No running today.

I feel that I wish I'd done more earlier - I won't be very fit by the time of the marathon and I had hoped to try to run under 4.30 which would be a first for me. But this winter has been a bad time for me workwise and lifewise in terms of getting out for runs, so I'm under prepared and will be happy to finish in under 5 hours.

Mick and Phil - fabulous running!

• Sad I know but my mind is turning to gear
    Shorts no probs- addidas make them to last- so will wear my favourites .
    Alas my tops have seen better days( even out of the wash- lets say they don't seem" fresh") most tops seem like dresses on me - ( the one team pb sent me is longer than my shorts- lookes like I forgot to get dressed!)
    Think I need to go shopping

On the plus side my yassoo 800s were easy today ? What's that all about

Stay positive q.s.s
    Well done screamy
  • Hi Que Sera,

I feel the same in a way - my early training was fine though, it was the bit in the middle, buliding up from about 9-14, that I found a struggle. I felt like I should have been doing more but just didn't have the energy.Now it has gone so completely the other way I don't even feel remotely sore or tired today.

I reckon that if I hadn't been on leave from work since the beginning of March I might have continued to struggle but not having to get up at the crack of dawn every day, or commute there and back and getting plenty off sleep has made a real difference - makes you realise those Kenyans know what they're doing, all they do is eat, sleep and train image 

Never too soon to think about gear Siony - I already know what I'll be running in, the charity top has been worn and in the wash twice now image

Just got to work out the finer points of where to stand the rellies on the day - we're thinking Bermondsey at the moment.

• Good running all....I think it is this time you look back and think 'should I have done more?'. Two weeks ago I creamed 20 miles and was raring to go, last weekend I limped in on 20 with an 'I can't go any further' feeling.....why??? 24 hours later I did 5 miles with the last 2 being 7:30min miles....aaaarrrrggghhh!

Siony - love thinking about new kit but I think it is up ere on the list of reasons to divorce me with the OH ( of the list is doing another marathon!). Just got some new shoes that I will break in during training but will stick with my Newton Motions for the big day. Top: I will be wearing the charity's top. Fits fine, just a shame I burned the first one trying to iron on my name!! Shorts: I run in Ronhill Trail shorts (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=72507) pairs with compression shorts. They are brilliant as you can stash so much in the many pockets. Was recommended them before VLM last year and have never looked back. Just bought some new X Socks Speed Metal and the Nip Guards are ready and waiting image

Screamy - I am trying to figure out the same for the rellies. I had them at 20 miles on Poplar High St last year which was brill as its quieter down there and I got to chat to them easily, but a long way to go before you see your first family face. May have them around the half way mark at Limehouse and get them to cross over to Poplar High St....
  • Good plan Phatboy,

I was going to get mine to go from Westferry to West India Dock road but it would take them about 5 minutes by the short cut and me an hour on the route image 

• No rellies for me. The kids are too young and I think the old man won't much enjoy looking after them on his own for several hours while they get bored, so they're staying in Leics and looking out for me on the telly(!) Anyone else going to London on their own?
  • I'm on my own also- figure hubbie has done his time at all the local races- and chances of him seeing much of me is slim
  • Siony- don't know if you're planning on staying in London, but I will be in Londond the night before and the night after, so if you want to meet up the night before, or afterwards (provisionally - if we can walk), pm me.
  • Sounds good to me
    Well last LSR today 22 miles- bloody hell- last 2 has given me a glimpse of pain to come- had to grit my teeth and kept looking at the garmin
  • brilliant stuff

22 is fabulas

• 22 well done! Just another 4 or so to go.... I say 'or so' cos my Garmin had me on over 27 miles last year with all the weaving!
  • Feel relieved today- went to bed with pain in hip flexor lastnight and was terrified that I'd gone to far and injured myself. Happily a good sleep and I'm ok. Would have been so cross if I'd injured myself on the last long run!
    Phatboyrunning- I hadn't thought about the weaving and extra distance.
    Good luck for your weekend runs x
  • Brilliant Siony! I did 20 miles this morning - my last long long run - and it just about killed me. Feeling slightly depressed by how hard I found it to run 20 and how slow I was. I almost certainly won't win now. Hope everyone else is feeling more cheerful.
  • Brilliant running everyone, I decided my 19 miler will be my longest and that I'll start the taper with 15 miles on Monday. Ran 5 today and it was hard to get into, I was gardening yesterday and I felt pretty creaky. The Fire Service were puttting out a fire on a burning speedboat on the canal while I was running past though, which helped take my mind off my legs and livened things up no end image   
  • wow!! -you lot are getting your big uns inimageimage Cruised a 10 miler todayimage. My 22 is next Sunday, then taper off.

Sarah dunna worry about the slow 20. I could hadly do 6 the other day but "cruised" 10 today. Our bodies are funny things.

ENJOY THE BUILD UP FOLKS!!

XXX

• So after a fab 20 a fortnight ago, I barely scraped a 20 in the heat last weekend. Am in Suffolk on holiday and set off yesterday on a 15 miler. The track I was running turned to sandy rutted off road. Eventually picked up a road and turned on 7.5 miles into the wind and headed for home. Not sure what was in my gels yesterday but I ended up doing 16 miles in 2:15. The last two miles were 7:21 and 7:17! Was tired but not dead at the end but really pleased.

It just shows what a massive impact hit weather has on running. Pray for a cloudy day!

Good luck with the runs. I am going to have to take it easy this week as I have picked up a niggle in the left ankle area. Not going to spoil things now having come this far!
  • Great running all. Screamy - you must stop setting fire to things just to give you something to look at. I know it's pretty, but the fire service really don't like it.

Thanks for the reassurance Stu. Most of the time I don't mind being so slow, but sometimes it depresses me a bit. Phatboy - that was brilliant - mind your ankle though.

• Ha ha, thanks Que Sera, actually I could have done with a conflagration to take my mind off my run today. Did 15 miles but the last 3 were really hard. I was out about an hour later than last week so although the weather was cooler it was just as warm (if you see what I mean). As you say, Phatboy, it really does make a difference.

I think the taper plays tricks with your mind too - it is EVIL image image

And of course, typically, now I'm sitting here on the sofa all knackered it has clouded over. Tsk image

People doing 22 - you are hardcore.

TFL have started putting up posters for marathon day travel showing a dejected-looking person in a cow costume who has missed the start - it is quite funny image

• That's my recurring nightmare( missing the start not cows) . Worried about getting lost/ not making it to the start line. amazing what thinks you can dream up- other night London underground wouldn't sell me a travel card unless I waited for breakfast to go with it! No amount of explaining that I was about to race and didn't want it would work!
  • Running dreams are weird aren't they? The other night I was dreaming I was running a 57k - where on earth did that come from? I often dream I'm racing on routes that take you indoors too - mad image
  • Completed my last long run (18 miles) and actually felt better than last week. Avoided the High5 gels which may have helped and did a slightly different run along the canal with some on the road so avoided the demoralising out and back that I did last week!

Sounds like you've all had a great week too image

Have no idea how I'm going to get to the start from the hotel so that is a worry of mine too Siony! Need to get a big map out and work it out. Less than 3 weeks to go...
  • Well done Bellabee image

Whereabouts are you staying?

• Getting to the start ... that's something it hadn't occurred to me to worry about yet - a whole new area to be colonised by anxiety. I have a hotel in Westminster, close to the finish so I don't think it'll be a problem.

Final q for the ladies - my otherwise excellent and immobilising Enell bra rubs me raw at the front strap line - I've tried plasters, vaseline and even padding it with a sock but nothing quite seems to work (although my family found the sock thing entertaining). Anyone overcome a similar problem?

• I found a plaster worked ok for me Que Sera - it's a long shot but how abut Compeed? I know they are meant for your feet but who's to know? Failing that how about cutting one of those gel shoe inserts up and inserting a piece under a big fabric plaster?