VLM 2012 Outsiders Thread

Comments

• image no toilet trouble after that I reckon.
  • The tip about the rucksack is good Phatboy, I did that last time - mind you my BIL was made to carry it home for me in any case image

Enjoy your chilli con carne Siony image

Stu - "Mutiny on the Buses" was on earlier, I thought of you image

• Yes it was classic

i hate u butler

• watched it not long back Screamyimage Summat about those old comedies.
  • It's be nice to see Barry again  - I shall certainly be able to pick you out at the start Stu if you're carrying him! Hope we are all OK.

Siony - I once tried a whole crushed clove of garlic mixed into the juice of a whole lemon, 1 tsp honey and as much boiling water as it takes to dissolve the honey. It was horrible and nobody came near me for about 3 days - not sure that it effected a cure either. Actually thinking about it, perhaps I should have had it before I got ill and it's the 'nobody coming near you for 3 days' that does the trick. Do I remember right that you're a GP though? Could be more challenging staying away from sick people. Anyway, hope you make a swift recovery.

• Qss that sounds absolutely gross. I'm afraid if I get a bug it is day and night nurse for me with lots of water. Just prayng that I can survive 6 more days....god damn commuting, may just hold my breath this week!

Starting to put all my bits together, it's getting quite exciting really! And all my tweaks, niggles and sore bits are announcing themselves as part of taper madness!

• Stu- cast iron stomach me!
    Q.s.s -yes I'm a Gp- hardly ever catch things though - immune system probably quite used to it

• I've got a hospital appointment tomorrow morning so it means travelling in rush hour on a bus full of snotty schoolkids and then the tube -  I'm  going to use First Defence the minute I get home afterwards image
  • image Siony that is so true!
  • Excellent Siony! The Lancet....take note! image
  • Nice one Sionyimage I am mad to start withimage

• Well I managed not to freak out completely this morning even though the bus journey was a nightmare in the awful weather. Some festering little scrote with a hacking cough sat right next to me and I didn't even try to be subtle about pulling my scarf up over my nose and mouth image

The worst thing about the appointment was that it was unecessary, I knew the procedure would come back with normal results and it did.

Have spent the rest of the day indorrs and have recovered now - I think image 

• Hope your ok screamy
    I'm on the mend- dithered about having a run today but glad I did- no groin niggle whatsoever and felt ok
    So fingers crossed for Sunday
    Keep well everyone
  • I think we should be renamed 'The Survivors....Well Almost' image I have come down with a dicky tummy, not sure if it is nerves, excitement or something I have eaten, but from now until Sunday I am ditching all spicy foods, which means no spicy sauces or jalapeños on sandwiches image

The sacrifices we make!
  • Pbr

how are u - keep well friend

yes who knows but i can tell you

too much nerves and excitement are not good - it can cause exactly what u have -

wishing u well

Mick

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Just thought I would pop in and wish everyone good luck for Sunday.

I did London back in 1995 and 1997 and would have fitted into this thread quite nicely.

For nerves try a drop of Rescue Remedy, it just takes the edge off the nerves but is a natural stuff.

• Thanks M&P and Steady. . Feeling a bit better today, just need to keep up the hydration as I think this is a bug. Still going to lay off the spicy food and stick to boring plain nosh till after the race. Then I'll fill my face with a ruby and big bottle of ice cold beer image
  • yes, hydration will be a must

one to wash out your system any possible bugs

and to hydrate you for the race  

• Thought I'd join in as I do seem to fit in this "outsiders" thread! This will be my fourth marathon and my first VLM. However, my last one was back in 2004 and my fastest was 6:01 and so I am quite nervous. I'd like to get a sub-6 hour time but based on my extremely slow training this time around, I think that this is highly unrealistic. image

Very psyched to learn about the Mudchute cheering squad, what troopers.

Have fun out there Sunday!

Zaftig
  • Go Zatfig!! I'm sure you'll do great on Sunday.

Picked up my race pack today. Expo looks the same as last year, even with most of the stands in exactly the same place. Starting to feel the build up now. Tummy much better, decided on a fry up for brekky and boring sandwich for lunch. So far so good!

Must have missed the Mudshute bit. Who will be there? Mick & Phil?

• Thanks Phatboy!

This is one of the Support Group forums for Mudchute:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=3&UTN=190020&V=1&SP=

There are about six of them so I am sure you could join in if you need.

I was at the Expo today too definitely helped with feeling the build up.

Zaftig
  • Evening outsiders - welcome Zaftig. 

So I did say I would run 2 miles on Tuesday - I was forgetting my hossie appointment. AND I had a dental appointment this morning (it's MOT week I think  image) so as long as there isn't a gale and torrential rain tomorrow (and there might well be) I will do the short plod down to the canal bridge and back. Tapering is frustrating though - I keep thinkng my legs will forget how to run image

Is anyone going to the expo tomorrow evening?

• yo allimage

hope all your tummies are OK. You are a marathon vet Zatfig. I won't get to expo and registration til Satdee morning. Can't wait.

Tried a gel today -eek pretty sweet but my guts is like Siony'simage

I am aiming for 4:30-5hours.

Got lickle 3 miler morra and that'll do. Yes Screamy I think my legs will forget too. They feel strong right now and ache free, so think they may not realise what they have to do.

• Evening all!
    Been to expo today - I love running and I love shopping so you can imagine I enjoyed today. Purchased some elixirs ( that 2 pairs under the bed waiting call to action!)
    Was getting busy as I left
    Met Iwan Thomas - my is he tall !
    Food wasn't great and the" goody bag" was a joke- bag rice, men's razor and moisturiser and deodorant !
    Welcome zaftig!
    Which start are you all going from on Sunday ?
  • blue for me Sionyimage

enjoy your shaveimage

• I'm blue also- will have name on vest- (Sioned - don't know why as no bugger will be able to pronounce it) and you will probably spot me in the vicinity of the loos- peeing and perpetually rejoining untill we line up to run

Stu- must say my legs are quite nice and smooth now!
  • siony wrote (see)

Stu- must say my legs are quite nice and smooth now!
    glad to hear it image Gotta do mine morra-lol
  • Stu - wait till you go to the Expo.....you'll get a free razor to do the legs image

Siony - agree goody back was lame. Though the beer looks tempting and I ate some of the rice tonight. You forgot the muesli bar!

I did 7 on Sunday and planned on a three before the weekend, but my legs are feleling relaxed and so I am just going to rest. 3 miles or no will make zero difference now!

Got team Phatboy lined up to cheer me on at 7miles, 19 miles and 24 miles. There are cheer points for my charity at those points...Arthritis Research UK. Always wonder who the others in the forums are, so if you want to see a bit more about me, my page is www.justgiving.com/phatboy2012
  • may do Phatboyimage Us fellas know how much they cost now. It will keep me still in hotel the night before too. Ta for page.