VLM 2012 Outsiders Thread

Comments

• Just stuck my details on the Mudchute thread.

Stu...go easy on the razor, the hairs on the legs may be needed to protect against the cold!

Gels.....I must say for me they are a must. No idea if the do anything, but I run better when I take them so have a plan of attack for Sunday, though it does involve carrying quite a few. Last year I gave some of my fuelling to my OH to save me carrying, to get a call on mile 5 to say they would not be there as my eldest was unwell! Disaster!
  • Final plod before Sunday was nice - no watch, no water bottle and stopped to stroke two pussy cats image

Still a bit freaked out by the weather though - surely it can't possibly be this bad on Sunday? image

• nah will be coolish with the odd showerimage Last time I was down there to watch was 1998 (I think) where Irish woman won it and had shat herself (poor soulimage). Oh yes , it was hale stoning too image
  • The storm I went through leaving London tonight. Rain so thick you couldn't see! Let's hope brighter times are ahead.....
  • You're not kidding Phatboy, I'm in west London and we had hail and thunder this afternoon image
  • I am certain weather says it was easing into just showers for Sunday. Plenty happy with that.

I am a bit peeved at elsewhere on forum , that folk are knocking those with a run/walk strategy. Dunno why? I have to adopt a 5min run/ 1 min walk strategy coz of my COPD. Doing a mara with that, however you do it is an achievement IMHO. For next mara my "walk" element will be reduced if I can cope. I aim still to get 'round in about 4hrs 40 mins.
  • mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    That's faster than me STU - and I ran all the way last time (5:31). image
  • to me -it doesn't matter mitiog. If you do a mara you do a mara and it is an achivement in itself image I don't know if running all the way is possible now (will have to see in time).

I did have speed years and years ago but a million or so cigs put a stop to some of  that. Have tried everything in the book to stop tooimageimage. Had a lifetime anxiety disorder and that never helped really. I would give anthing to be able to stop tbh.

Anyway- not gonna wallow. We are all gonna enjoy this image
  • Not seen that Stu. IMHO so long as walkers keep to the side, then let peeps do what they want. I ended having to run/walk last year not by choice due to cramp. I only got one comment from a lardarse at the side who told me to get running when I stopped to stretch. My reply..."mate, tomorrow I will be a marathoner, you will still be a fat ugly bugger!". Cue round of applause from spectators around him! image
  • Good answer Phatboyimage Yes I intend to stay near the side and not get in the way. I will be running 85% of the time anyway. Would hate to spoil anyone's stride. My aim is to walk as little as possible anyway but 5 min run/ 1 min walk is initial plan.
  • I walk a minute in every mile to take on water and jelly beans, it suits me and keeps my focus on the mile in hand.

I'm 46, I'm not about to break any records and I'm happy with that - it's really nobody else's business to tell anyone else the right or wrong way to run their race. Those of whom you speak seem to think that anyone who doesn't run all the way is "doing them out of a place" which is so dumb it's ridiculous because The VLM is pot luck - if you aren't good enough to get a GFA place than you have no more right to take part in it than anyone else.

Somewhere at the back I'm sure there will be one or two of those eleganty coiffured middle aged ladies "pretend power walking" - and good for them. I've always been of the opinion that once you get your place you do exactly what you want with it.

The only people I have zero respect for is those who don't train.

And 4.40 is faster than me and I don't have COPD so you're doing really well Stu image

• Screamy - 4:40 is based on a 3:30 20 miler I pulled off. I thought it was fair target if I get my carbs and fluids rightimage A minute in every mile sounds a good means of getting 'round. You know you have to do about 25 of 'em and you are fine .

I see myself as a runner with an hindrance. Running has meant my condition has not worsened since diagnosis about 4 years ago (in fact a tiny improvement).
  • Well said all. 4.40 beats my 4.50 last year so I will be delighted with that! And I want to run as much of it as I can. I will be aiming it run it all, but my gel strategy is one at 5 miles, then one every 3. Plus a salt cap every hour to stave the cramp. I'm 42 and have
    Romped my OH this is my last marathon so want to go out on a high!

Just finished a nice bowl of whole meal pasta and two slices of tiffin cake for pudding. Won a big box of Green and Blacks choccy and a bottle of wine today....must not open, must not open....
  • Haha! Romped my OH!!! Bloody spell check....meant to say 'promised'!
  • "Salt Cap" - mm I heard that you should "add a little salt"  Phatboy. I put some salt in my old shorts pocket during a 20er, dipped my finger in and licked it -lol
  • lol Phatboy -not a good race strategy that.

• Nice dinner Phatboy - my pasta was undercooked (no cooking time on the packet - assumed 10 minutes but was wrong) so I mainly just ate the pepperoni that I put in it and the sauce image

I eat quite a lot of salt so I never get cramp. My blood pressure is a bit low BTW so it's OK - if it wasn't I wouldn't do it but I do love it - it's my vice.  Mmmmmm....crisps image

• I bought a huge tub of them. One before I set off and one an hour. Seems to be sorting my cramping out. But not my romping image
  • Morning all
    Don't get why some runners have such a superior attitude. I'm always glad and amazed to see so many people that love to do the same thing as me.Just think on Sunday there will be thousands and thousands of runners who have spent the last 6 months on much the same journey with possibly same highs and lows. As someone who tends to run alone I think it's why I like to take part in races.

Time is not important . For me I want to cross the line saying I've trained and ran to the best of my ability and had a great day .
    Oh - I'd quite like to not look too demented in my photo also!
  • well said Siony image It is about having a great day and absorbing the atmosphere for me too.
  • Well said Siony image

I always look a right state in my photos - people talk about the camera adding 5 pounds - well my thighs don't need another 5 pounds adding to them, I can tell you.

Once the beetroot face has subsided I'm ok from the waist up but that's about it image 

• Haha! and well said too. Last year I spent quite a lot of time with my headphones on and am not doing that this year. I'll have them there 'just in case' but want to soak up as much of the atmosphere as poss. And chat with fellow runners too image Hearing other people's stories can be so inspirational.

Bought some lanacane today - I train lots in the rain but always in a compression top and running jacket. Not a charity vest, so am taking no chances image

Might go back to the expo today for a second looky...its only 10 mins from my office so I can spend my lunch hour down there.
  • Latest forecast from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/17768912

I'm taking my shuffle with me too Phatboy, just in case the wheels come off or, in fact, if it gets really wet, cold and miserable. I've got Lanacane too image

• I'm taking mine too- not sure if I'll use it- before the day of garmins I used to use music to pace myself- I've got a playlist in mind that should stop me going off like an excited puppy who's just realised that it hasn't forgotten to run!

But on Thanet 20 there was an iPod ban and did enjoy the more social atmosphere it made

What am I going to wear is my dilemma for today
    Vest or long sleeves
    Shorts or capris?
    And why is my cat racing around like a lunatic- there better not be a mouse with him- going to investigate!
  • Morning all. Sorry for being so quiet. I've had a family emergency this week - my poor mum had an episode of amnesia and couldn't remember anything of the previous week, so I've been up in N Yorks with a frightened mother and in and out of hospital - before spending 5 hours sitting on the A1 yesterday (they closed the motorway after an accident) adn getting back to my university about 10 mins before I had to give an evening lecture. On the positive side, it has totally put the marathon out of my head.

However, I'm back home now, working todaya dn then down to London tomorrow. I won't be at the expo till the afternoon and then I'm staying at a hotel in Westminster on Saturday night.

I'm at the blue start. If I get my act together I will have my name on my pale purple top - either Sarah or Que Sera Sarah. I put 4.30 down as my finishing time, but that was when I was hoping to have trained better. Now I think it will be nearer to 5 (3.34 for my 20 miler, Stu, so a bit slower than you, but close). I'm planning not to carry anything except some painkillers just in case. That way I don't have to have a waist pack. I'll just manage with whatever drinks and gels are available, plus some jelly babies from the RW supporters at Mudchute. I've never been ill with a drink or gel before so touch wood this will be OK, although I know it's not the recommended strategy.

I like your attitude Siony - let's just have a great day. Whatever happens I expect Sunday to be a memorable day.

• I'm number 3143 by the way.

Anyone who has their name on their top - did you just write it on in felt pen? Is there a good last minute way of doing it more professionally?

• My local c& h fabrics has iron on letters that seem ok
  • Hi Que Sera - hope your mum is feeling much better now.

I got my shirt printed at the expo £14. I have used sew on letters befoe but I think felt tip might be a bit risky given the weather.

In other news I am famous on Facebook today:

http://www.londonsairambulance.co.uk/news/335-news-13-london-marathon-runners-supporting-londons-air-ambulance-

I am the one on the left standing under Ruby Rescue's raised arm image