VLM 2012 Outsiders Thread

1161718192022»

Comments

• It's full and shut now anyway!
  • mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Last long run for me tomorrow!! Then taper. Feel like I've been training for this marathon for ages. When I watched VLM on telly it was like, well, I've already done 2x16, 2x18 and 1x20, can't I just run it now? How much more training does one need to do? Nearly there image

Hope the recovery is going well image
  • Mitiog - which marathon are you doing? Good luck with it anyway!
  • Don't envy you mitlog- found the taper worse than the training- good luck and let us know how you get on
    Hope your all well - surely it will be ok to go for a little run this weekend?
  • Enjoy the taper Mitiog image
  • mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Phew - 20 miles done in 3:55. Better than my last 20, paced it really well (for a change!) and my last mile was 70secs faster than my first. I ate loads on the way, gels, jelly babies, haribo...but it stopped me hitting the wall. I'm taking 2 days off running to make sure I recover well then I guess it's just easy, short runs with a touch of speed work for the next 3 weeks. Nearly there...

Phatboy, I'm doing Edinburgh on 27th May image
  • Good luck! That is three weeks away, and I would suggest you don't taper away too much. The danger with speedwork is you really work your muscles and can be susceptible to injury, I would suggest keeping the legs turning with easy but decent length runs.

For VLM this year, I kept up a lenthy weekend LSR right up to the weekend before, and followed the 'no more miles than days till the run' rule, with 7 miles don the weekend before. It worked well and stopped me going mad with taper-ness!
  • mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭

I'm doing 2x11 and a 5 next week, followed by an "alternative" tapering strategy of 8 days' backpacking!  So maybe not much running that week.  The final 5 days before the race I'll probably do some marathon-paced miles on the Monday and an easy few miles on the Weds/Thurs of race week.  Then head off to Edinburgh.  I was going to fit in an extra 16 next week (instead of one of the 11's) but I don't want to over-do it and my club coach says I've done plenty of long runs.  I guess it's about not either going "mad" or doing too much.  For my last marathon I didn't do much in the taper due to very painful calves so I'm hoping that an easier few days today and tomorrow and no speedwork with club on Monday (bank holiday - woohooo!) will help me not suffer the same fate this time around.

How's everyone elese's recovery coming on?  Anyone entered any races yet?? 

• Yup!  I am back running, did a quick 5 on Tuesday, going to try and slot 10 in on the weekend.  I am doing my local which is the Alton 10 on May 13th, looking forward to it as that 10 miles is part of my LSR route in marathon training!image

Will cycle more in the summer, but have the Demon Run in September booked then the GSR in October.  Still mulling over Hellrunner in December image

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭

Sounds busy, Phatboy!  Good luck with the Alton 10 image

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭

Just a quick update - did Edinburgh yesterday in a time of 5:08, a personal best of over 23 minutes despite the crazy heat image

• Well done mitiog!!! That's a fantastic pb especially considering the heat image

• Hi all, not been on the forum for a while - Mitiog, that's fantastic, well done image

• dull day at work for me today- thought I would post and see how the old gang are doing?

• Hi Siony,

Running is pants at the moment - had one illness after another this year. Currently got a stinking cold - hey ho image

But for some reason I entered the VLM ballot again imageimage

How about you ?

• Me too! Bad time last August onwards with Achilles ( again!) worked hard on strength/ shorter strides and have lovely lovely custom orthotics and I've been great for last 3 months( oh the relief!- how sad am I!)

doing gnr in september- going to see how good a time I can achieve - hopefully set me up well if I get a congratulations mag in October 

hope you get well soon x

• Good luck for that Siony.

I'm doing the Peterborough half in October - it seems a long way off but it isn't -certainly not if I don't get going again in the next couple of weeks. I dread to think how slow I'm going to be too!  image