2XU compression tights

thinking of buying a pair of 2XU tights but are they really worth it? Do you really notice a difference. I'm in my early 40s now and can do with any assistance on offer from high-tech clothing ;o)

Comments

• I wear compression tights and socks for recovery and shorts for racing. I have trashed my right thigh and find that the shorts make a difference.

I think that compression clothing helps with recovery, don't know about racing, it may well do but I would like my muscles to do the racing for me.

I doubt that you would notice much of an improvement in times but in terms of recovery after a race I think you would notice.

• I find calf gards more effective than tights, going to go for some ones just for the thighs as well.  I find all over tights much less comfrtable, the seperate "units" seem to provide more compression also.

I find that wearing 2XU calf gaurds means my legs feel more refreshed after running, I also try to keep them on after evening runs for the dog walk.

• 2XU are quite expensive and medical opinion seems divided as to the benefit.

There are cheaper ones around if you want to try -

Check out www.redvenom.co.uk
  • run-around....you can find them from  cheaper on ebay too brand new..if you can fit into youths size thn better still-i got mine for £30 instead of £70 . image
  • I have used these a lot recently and found they really do help especially for the recovery aspect. I find it strange now to run in non compression gear. Theres good deals on them now on wiggle! Go for it you won't look back!
  • I am considering buying compression shorts as i always truggle with stuffed thighs on long runs.  Has in the past stuffed 2 marathons.

So do they really help?

any advice on what other gear may work?

• I fully believe they do, I used them to powerwalk a marathon (the moonwalk) finished in 5:30 and my sports masseur told me my legs felt like they hadn't done anything the day after. The same with the Royal Parks half marathon, used the 2xu compression shorts and tee, finished in 1:49:51 and didn't have a niggle the following day. I used the recovery socks after the run but took them off to sleep. I would highly recommend them and wouldn't contemplate running in any other wear. They too absorb the sweat as horrible as it may sound and keep you nice and cool!!

• MelbowMelbow ✭✭✭
    hi, I am also interested in trying some compression gear.I wondered if anyone could tell me if the different brands vary much in effectiveness. I like the look of the Orca shorts/leggings which are over £50 but in the Sweatshop sale the Skins gear is much cheaper.
    Thanks.
  • got myself a brand new pair of 2XU ones on e-bay as suggested, have worn them once for a run. They were fine but really didn't notice much of a difference. Perhaps after a few more wears and then not wearing that is when I will notice the benefit.
  • I doubt it. The logic is stood on its head. Why should I be able to run better by restricting the vessels that carry blood and oxygen to my working muscles and carbon dioxide and breakdown products away from them during a run? It's just fad. There's slightly more logic for squeezing waste products out of the muscle after exercise (like also cold immersion might work) but even the evidence for that is weak and contested.