Bath Half Marathon

Comments

• Not for me Dan.... Main aim for me this year is a sub 40 10km, which at the moment is a long way off.... The way your improving at the moment, I'd expect you to be running around high 1.27's low 1.28's, by the time Bath comes around...... Don't sell yourself short......
  • Would be really happy with those times just gotta see how it goes on the day!
  • Hi all

I'm looking forward to this one as a build up race for VLM.

Any tips on good places to stay?

Thanks in advance

• Sequin

Bath is a very busy place and most of the hotels and b&b's get booked up most weekends even without a half marathon. I'd tried over a month ago and struggled so ended up about 6 miles outside Bath.

Good luck with your search.

tiger

• Hi Tiger!
    Thanks- I knew it would be busy, but just wondered if there might be a cancellation from someone who can no longer run...
    I had a look online at the Bath tourist board and there seem to be a few hotels still available but inevitably they are the more expensive ones...£250...
    I can always drive up from home on the day (v. early start!) if necessary, but Bath is such a great place I quite fancied making a weekend of it. Hope you have a good run.

Good luck everyone with your training.
  • Really looking forward to it. Only one month to go. Does anyone know what the predicted times are for the different pens? I'm in green - looking for 1:45mins...

I'm also looking forward to a lovely recovery spa afterwards. image

• Hi Tiger!
    Thanks- I knew it would be busy, but just wondered if there might be a cancellation from someone who can no longer run...
    I had a look online at the Bath tourist board and there seem to be a few hotels still available but inevitably they are the more expensive ones...£250...
    I can always drive up from home on the day (v. early start!) if necessary, but Bath is such a great place I quite fancied making a weekend of it. Hope you have a good run.

Good luck everyone with your training.

Hi Guys,

I'm doing this one too. Will be getting the train in from Chippenham. It only takes 10 minutes so might be worth looking for a hotel there.

Not setting myself any time goals as i'm only just back from 4 months of plantar fasciitis OUCH!!. Just going to enjoy it and see what happens.

• Another one catching the train from Chippenham on the day! Works fine, can use the loos at the station on the way image but there was a huge queue for the train home again.

I hear some of the race packs have gone out - anyone got theirs yet??

• I received my race pack last week, so they are definitely on their way.

• If you got your pack last week I might have to start panicking!!!
  • I ain't received mine yet!
  • Perhaps they're doing it alphabetically? I'm sure it'll be with you soon.

That's how I know I'm starting from the green pen - number, racing chip, raceday info. booklet - the usual all present and correct.

• Anyone else still waiting for their pack image
  • Hi all. Got my pack today. First half for me. The website says you cannot run with earphones/IPod. Anyone know if this is enforced? I really like to run with music.
  • A guy who crossed the finish line next to me last year was immediately told by a steward that he's be disqualified for wearing headphones, he didn't seem that bothered as he had his time from his watch.

Slightly baffles me why people run big events but then shut themselves off from the atmosphere...but whatever works for ya I guess
  • Yeah! My pack arrived yesterday. Really looking forward to it. Did 20 miles this morning early before the rain came! But i did have the wind to contend with.

Sennaton they will announce at the start that it is not allowed. I don't think they will pull you out but I would presume that if you had a accident it might cause issues. Personally i think the crowd support at such a big race like this is far more enjoyable to listen to than music.

Hope everyone's training is going well.

• Thanks to Womble and Tiger for the responses. I have run big races before and like to run with IPod for bit and also take headphones off to listen to the crowd. Don't want to risk DQ so guess I will just run without. Cheers.
  • Managed 11 miles this morning, my furthest ever (and included 3 reasonable sized hills), for the first time I'm beginning to believe I can do this, even if my legs do ache now image
  • Nellyp

Well done on you longest ever run. I bet you are feeling pretty pleased and well you should be. Understandable

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/lib/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/themes/forum/images/separator.gif

that your legs are aching do plenty of stretching and self massage.

Keep up the good work.image

• If anyonewho has entered cant make it please let me know 07970394509, I will gladly pay full price.

Thanks

• Hi,

Does anyone know if there will be pacemakers in the bath half , I didn't see any info in the race guide ?

• Don't know - they didn't have any last year
  • Well,

did the london last year (4:30) the cotwolds 10k in December (52) and this will be my first half too... hoping to do it in 1:50 or less...!

If the atmosphere is anywhere as good as london, definetly DO NOT use headphones...

• Hello

Could anyone who has done Bath before please advise re: parking? Race info says to get to park and rides at 08:30 (for an 11am start!). I am about an hour away by car but need to breastfeed my baby as close to the start time as possible, so just wondered how hard parking was last year.

Thanks!
  • I have been advised by previous participants not to bother with the Park n Rides as it gets really busy and even full up quite early.  They have suggested the train,  I am travelling from Swindon (30 mins away by train), someone else in this forum has suggested parking in Chippenham and getting the train (10 mins away).  Even then they have suggested I take the earlier trains as it gets very busy.

Good for you running whilst breast feeding, amazing!

• Thanks Dawnipoos, that's helpful but not good! I'm coming from Cheltenham but there are no trains that day that get there before the start! The Chippenham idea might be a goer though.

Good luck!
  • I would wholeheartedly agree - Bath can be real nightmare for parking even when there's no Half Marathon. Definately travel in by train if you can - Bristol Temple Meads station is only around 15-20 mins away so that could be another option...

• Hi folks, looking to pick your brains if you are from the area. I am stopping at Devizes Travelodge on London Road Devizes on the A361, total cost for 2 nights £24.00 !!
    What is the best way for travelling from here on the morning ? Is there a train station worth using ?

My wife and I have an elite free good for age number, is there a separate baggage area for this start.
    Looking forward to the race, in 30 odd years of running, apart from London Marathon I have never ran a big city race ! Thanks in advance,

Just an afterthought, they have the nerve to charge megabucks for a race T shirt, I am purchasing a few hundred long sleeved tech T shirts for a race I organise, price is less than £4.00 each, imagine what they pay. I declined to buy one !!
    My event in September, only £11.00, voted 4th best race in Runnersworld 2011. http://www.woldsvets.co.uk/TOUGH%20TEN/LincsWoldsinfo_2011ENTRY-AND-INFO.htm
    Steve