Bath Half Marathon

Comments

• Thanks BackOThePack - that does seem like the best option for me.

Have a good run everyone image
  • Hallcross - have a look at travelling to Chippenham as well, and catching the train from there. Its probably round 25 mins from Devizes, and parking will be so much easier than in Bath - unless you travel in REALLLLLLY early. Didn't see a separate baggage area last year, just 1 large tent split up by race number
  • Thanks for that, would leaving Chippenham at 08.56 and arriving at Bath at 09.09 give me enough time , that is the first train ?
    Devizes to station is 13 miles so looks good to me.
  • Hallcross - I would say so. Its at most a 10 minutes walk from the train station up to the Rec (where the Runners Village is), and there is the enormous advantage that you can use the loos at the station to save time queuing when you get there!
  • Hi JohBo we've used town centre car parks for last 3 years without a problem. Usually aim to arrive about 9.30. Used Avon Street & Charlotte Street with  about ten min walk to runners village.

TBH scrum to get to  start line & delays at finish far worse than the parking in our experience but atmosphere on the course more than makes up for that.

• Good info from all, reckon I will get the train and arrive at 09.09, hope that is enough time !
  • I think I'm finally ready for this run. I'm very nervous though!
  • Is anyone after a Number? I've just been advised by my physios not to run now image
  • This year's Bath half will be my first half and only second race this century (first was the GSR last year).

Haven't trained one bit due to horrific shin splint issues (could barely walk) and have run maybe 10 miles in the last 4 months. I do do a lot of cardio and cross-training in the gym every day though.

Still planning to run although not being allowed to use my iphone will be a nightmare, I get bored stiff on long runs and use music to pace myself.

Am I mad? Or can I still run under 2hrs with no training if I just take it steady? (last run was last week and can keep a 9min/mile pace up quite easily, just not as fit as I should be really).

• degsy-m-degsy-m- ✭✭✭
    Think you'd be doing well to keep it up for 13m if you've only done 10m training overall
  • I think you're right degsy-m-.

However, I hadn't done a stitch of running for 11 years before I did the GSR in October and was overweight and nursing recovering shin splints (achieved from running less than 100m six months before) and ran it in 01:33:11.

So I'm hoping given I've been in the gym for teh last few months and can keep it up for at least 10 miles then I can stretch the extra 3?

The lack of music is going to affect me massively though.

• I don't think you will miss the music much, Ben. The atmosphere at Bath half is so great that you will enjoy being a part of it and the crowd cheering you on image
  • Nelly are you in the orange pen
  • Hi guys! Been lurking this thread for a while now but decided to post image Can't believe the race is just around the corner, feel like I've been training for ages! Feeling nervous and also worried about the lack of music but did 12 miles last week so hopefully I'll be alright on the day.

Is anyone driving up from the East Mids area?
  • Hi twinklestar yes I'm in the orange (ie slow) pen image

Starting get really nervous (but excited) now and imagining tweaks and pains with every run.
  • Hi all,

So, last Sunday before the race! What are you running today? I'm thinking 10 miles around race pace (may seem a little bit much, but training for a marathon as my main goal, with Bath as an intermediate step).
  • My physio has said I'm ok to run ( image hurrah), but no attempts at a PB ( image grumble). Still at least I can run. I've been off running for 3 weeks. I was running 18 miles until I had a mishap. I didn't want to push my luck today so I only did 6miles. I have a couple of 5ks planned in the week. I hope this is enough.

Good luck all. Fingers crossed for a cool, sunny day.

• Nelly P me to did a 10k plod today and can feel me knees aching.  hoping to get round bath in  under 3hours 2.50 and I d be like the cat that got the cream

• I was planning a last long run yesterday but as we had torrential rain and a snow storm I decided it was too near to next week to risk injury (well that's my excuse anyway!!!).

Planning a 5 mile tonight and again on Thursday but apart from that it's an easy week just trying to calm the nerves.

Good luck to everyone see you on Sunday
  • Anyone going for a 1hr 50min time? I'm going to struggle with my pacing without my headphones.
  • good luck to everyone for sunday, its a great event, good support and plenty of music around the course.

have fun and enjoy the day, hoping the back holds up ok, cos its VLM in April for me if all goes to plan.

2hr i hope will be on the cards , might be a little bit slower but hoping for around the 2hr mark. (done 12.5 mile last sunday 1hr 54mins, and that was at a steady pace.)

Alan

• Nicholas, I'm aiming for sub-2hr but could surprise myself and improve on that. As I've done no training at all it's all down to how I feel on the day (whether the shin splints feel like playing up and whether I've fuelled correctly and not gorged on McDonald's breakfasts on the way to the race).

I'll be relying on my watch to keep an eye on my pace and just hope the lack of music doesn't affect the motivation.

Hugely excited to do it though, if a little nervous. Good luck to everyone doing it, have a safe, fast race.

• HallcrossHallcross ✭✭✭
    Plan is now set, drive from Travelodge at Devize to Chippenham, train into Bath, arrive just after 09.00, job done !
    Just checked my number A 148, I thought it was orange due to the orange tag, but it turns out it is white, so hopefully a decent start. Dodgy hamstring since a 10K last week so just hoe to get through it.
    Have a good one all
    Steve
  • Hi Ben,

I've had problems with shin splints too, they're the must frustrating injury. I usually go for a porridge breakfast with some banana and chocolate in it, definitly try to avoid a visit to Ronald McDonald.

I'm well excited about the race!
  • I can t believe the day went so quickly.  Hope everybody had a good race.  Perfect weather perfect day in Beautiful Bath

• Ran almost exactly to plan but really dissappointed to find the course was longer than 13.1 miles so where I was on for smashing my pb I only shaved just inside it. I clocked it at 13.28 miles on my Garmin which I've never had reason to doubt. Also plotted it on map-my-run when I got home - 13.28 miles again. Did anyone else clock it as over-distance?
  • My Adidas mi coach app clocked it at 13.5 miles. I beat my PB by 11 mins and finished in 1 hour 56 minutes so I'm happy. I spoke to a bloke on the train home and he mentioned his garmin recorded the course to be a bit longer. I wander if bath made a cock up like the Brighton half marathon...
  • Hi All,

I've not been part of this thread so far. I entered Bath last minute through a charity as my plan was to run in The Hague but logisitics got in the way.

I thoroughly enjoyed the race and set a new PB of 1:33:16. This all in prep for the Paris Marathon.

Good running Nicholas. I too had a lonf reading on the Garmin but I think that is due to not taking the racing line. You'll always run further in congested races due to the amount of sideways and wide running you do getting around people. image

• I clocked it at 13.22 on my Garmin, although I took the outside line around some of the corners in order to overtake a few people so assumed that was where the extra came from.

Great day out, weather was awesome
  • Tim SyngeTim Synge ✭✭✭

I didn't run this race, but saw the comments about possible "over distance". Given that only a 1% margin of error (which I suspect is not unrealistic) would give a possible distance of 13.23 miles instead of 13.1, it seems very unlikely to me that there would have been an error in the course length. Especially here, where the course is tried and tested. In addition, it is very difficult to run the optimum line in a busy race like this unless you are right at the front of the field and that might easily add another 1-2 % to actual distance travelled. If there were consistent reports of, say, a 5% error, then there would probably be something worth looking into. The reports here just don't seem conclusive.