Options

Thames Valley Cross Country 2011/12

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Looking at the stats, Ben's pb is 15.17, and he ran it in 15.50

The black Park record holder is Rowan Axe, who's pb is 14.54 and he did it in 15.31

Way down the quality stakes I had one go, and did 17.48 with a pb of 17.10

So maybe 33 to 38 secs different image

Of course all this is ignoring that both the two fasties probably were pushed in their pbs whereas they weren't at all in their park runs.
    But I'm sure their pbs came on actual road, rather than the pebbly trail of Black Park.

• Options

Hey all

Ben says... he thought he'd run about 20 seconds faster than he did -  it was a little muddy and that may have slowed him down a bit but he says most of it is down to lack of fitness - he's not been training during the week for the last month due to being away on a course but it is also only January and it's a bit early in the year for his PBs . Having said that - he enjoyed it and we'll be back next week for another crack!

Was lovely to meet BOTF and the lead bike was much appreciated. I'm hooked and Ben's now quite keen to run them regularly wherever we can find them.  We've just discovered there's one at home in York round the racecourse - now that should be ridiculously fast ... Hope they're all as well run  and friendly as BP! 

(And yes - his PB was on tarmac with competition image)

• Options
    And just to bend the stats - I ran a PB on it image
  • Options
    SG, my PB is 17:49 and 18:06 at Black Park so just 17 seconds: and I reckon I can go sub 18 at Black Park when the mud firms up in the spring: most likely will do so in the marathon taper.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sleepy, i could tell Ben isn't at peak fitness, as the last xc we all did I could see him for 20seconds rather than 10 image

Well done on your pb.No mean feat on that one.

True Phil. I will do it again sometime to wipe that 17.48 off my stat. When I'm not getting grinding leg aches would probably be best, as 5k pace is hard at the best of timesimage
  • Options

image - he'll be back - the rest'll do him good - after his 6 month trip to the sandy place last year he had a fantastic season - given that this is only 2 months and he gets to run at the weekends - I predict he will finally get his long sought after sub 30 sometime this year.  If nothing else - the enforced break makes him incredibly determined.

As for me - I could definitely have gone quicker - I was far too comfortable - just have to find the motivation to run that bit harder.  I'm sure I'll get the confidence to push myself at some point - just gotta wait for the right day when I'm feeling that way inclined (WARNING - girl logic image)

Hope your leg's feeling better soon SG!  You coming to the social this week?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sub 30 would be amazing for sure. And if he actually trained properly, he could go even faster than that image

Just realised it's the social this Thur...will try and get there, can count it as an "easy 4miler" just about... Depends on the other session of the day though...sounds a little risky, rampaging through the woods in the pitch black!

Of course it all depends on the physio tue..he might say no running, though I doubt it knowing him...he's very pro getting back to the full programme asap...and after all I did still get a 15 in today!!

I'm sure you'll go faster next time out at Black park...people seem to rate it as a course that needs a few goes, so you can learn the bits to smash, and the bits to reign in.
  • Options

I'll tell him that image

Thursday - I know it's a bit dodgy but that's half the fun LOL

No wonder you're sore - we got a bit carried away today and did 10.8 instead of the 9.5 we had planned - oops - good job I don't mind getting a wee bit cartographically misplaced - am only just finding my way about! Found an amazing hill though out near Colstrope. Might have to come back to have a go at the half one year.

BP -  yeah I reckon the second k is quite speedy.  Got a bit trapped at the start which didn't help but then my splits were a bit variable (nearly 40 seconds quicker on second k than 1st and 3rd).  At least I settled down a bit for the last 2.  330 runners - I didn't know they got that many - was amazed.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

40sec difference between km is huge. Park runs ae never the quickest though, especially the trail/wood ones. Add a few errant dogs into the mixer and you can come out way slower.

Haven't really ever found a fast 5k in these parts though to be fair. The summer has a series of 6 races, but all of them are either undulating road, or grass laps.

Dorney 10k is a fast course, and I believe there are 3 or 4 5ks there Jan to April. Might have to try one of those

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Haven't really ever found a fast 5k in these parts though to be fair. The summer has a series of 6 races, but all of them are either undulating road, or grass laps.

Depends what you mean by a fast 5k. There are plenty of tracks and most tracks run a number of 5000m races throughout the year. If you mean road 5k then the summer league isn't the fastest set of courses but there are fast ones such as Serpentine Last Friday which always has a good handful of fast runners in. If you can't make a Friday, then Battersea Park has a good series and is flat and furious but the quality is down a bit (see e.g. July) so it would need and organised party.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

did that Last friday course once about 3 or 4 years ago. Is a bit of a hike, and not too handy if you don't work in London though.

Can't really remember the route to be fair, a 2 lapper though.

a 5k at Dorney would be perfect i think

• Options

The rain last Friday didn't help the course on Saturday - the final k run in was pretty wet. If it had been dry or frozen then I suspect Ben would have been faster - he practically had to swim through the last big puddle 20 yards from the line.

The York parkrun only started 2 or 3 weeks ago, and I'm hearing there are definite plans afoot from some of the north clubs to have a crack at Craig Mottram's 14:00 all-time parkrun record from Bushy. It's very wind affected though, so it will have to be the right day. You could say the same about Dorney as well - get a  strong wind in the wrong direction and you could easily lose a minute.

Of the Thames Valley Summer 5k series courses most people seem to regard the Marlow course as the fastest, although in the last few years the Dashers have scored more PBs at Maidenhead than Marlow, I think because Marlow changed the course. Datchet is the flattest, but there's nearly half on grass.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

never run the Marlow one as Ialways marshall it.

I'd summarise them like this though...

Wargrave,   undulating road, second half gives you a bit of a shock with an incline or 2
    Burnham    technically the "hardest", due to the steep short ups, but starts downhill gently to set you off quickly

Maidenhead  nice and flat but 4 km on grass and trail. Often the fastest (Marlow withstanding)

Wycombe, 2 laps of the grassy Rye, and then a slight undulation round the back on paths. Mentally the toughest course as you see the whole field on each lap. Especially if you live very close to it anyway! Normally wishing for the series to be over by now

Datchet, similar to Wycombe, but just 2 laps. Slight variety with path and gravel sections. Always a delight to get this one done, and the post series banter normally means the evening is a late one!

ahh is it summer yet? image

• Options
    Sprint for the line wrote (see)
    Pity we're booted out by some pansy jumped up scooters.

Think you should head over to warren heath and run the course they`ve left behind....  its superb!!!

• Options
    So Ben returned and finished the job today at Black Park - 15:09, taking 22 seconds off the course record. I feel a bit sorry for the young lad from Hillingdon AC who also broke the previous record with 15:28 and found himself only 2nd image
  • Options

So, first race this Sunday at Datchet: has everyone found their shoes from last year and cleaned the mud off?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I've been vetoed from racing sunday, but in fairness i'm not too downhearted!

Ben's back for this race only (albeit only as a guest this time), so it looks like the battle is on for 2nd place image