Thames Valley Cross Country 2011/12

Comments

• So whats Sundays course like? Club says 5m yet people who have done it say 6+?  Narrow sections dont sound great, how much is like this?

Looking forward to it though, hopefully nice and wet!

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    5.9m. Narrow for 3-4 miles of this I would say. Dead flat, little mud. A huge contrast to the other events. At least I can walk to the start!
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Ah, there was no mud at all!! There was wind though and I appreciated the help of others who were willing to take the lead across the fields.

29th for me which probably makes me last counter for the club - a very good performance for the dashers at their home event. image
  • Good work Datchet, faultless hosting.

Chuffed with 35th, considering I was 90th last year. Almost got a RRR but he had the legs on me.

Salomon Speedcross 3s are coming into their own I must say.
  • 356 finishers which was a new record for Datchet, and probably for the league in general. Good job I went out and got extra finishing disks from 351 to 400.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I think i remember that Datchet is always the highest attendance, and then it can start sloping, and by the last 1 or 2 is well down!

Handy Cross quite close to Christmas is always the acid test of both course toughness and attendance.

Personally I find a 3 hill section on the Finch course the toughest segment of the whole series. Splendid though

• Got my first ever Sandhurst approaching, will be an experience..
  • I really enjoyed Sandhurst last year, though I recall it was about -3C when we arrived. The tractor ruts were frozen in, and the ground hard. In years before it has been quite boggy I've been told.
  • Lovely race today, really enjoyed the course, an evil uphill tweak at the end.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Where did you place sprint?

These courses are just not the same with so little mud.
  • I've never done that race in the dry before - today it was so bright that running into the sun I could barely see where I was going. I really struggled to get going today though,and my legs just didn't feel like they had any life at all. Ended up 67th in 36:02 which is 6 seconds slower and 4 places lower than last time I ran it in 2009, but with a slightly changed start & finish. I finshed in the right position within the club though I think, so no complaints.

Looks like the Dasher men won it - I think they said we had 1,2,4,7,11 & 17. Not sure about the ladies - they won't have won, but I expect probably good enough for 3rd or 4th, so it'll probably be close for the overall win.

• A pleased 29th, edging out a RRR over the line - How did it go for you?
  • Justified my usual flash-git look with my Oakleys today image
  • 114th and ~39 minutes. Last year I was 4 minutes slower and 144th male. In the middle of the pack we come across the line thick and fast, so a higher placing shouldn't need too much more effort.

It's nice to see the benefit of 12 months extra running, and also being familiar with the course. Unfortunately I suffered a school boy error; I stood chatting at the end instead of diving straight for the food.

I didn't do HX last year. Should be interesting...

• Food was good this year - the cakes and pastries werev excellent image
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    28th for me sprint!! I recall your orange oakleys now! I've been trying to beat a certain chick for a while in these races and did today. Was slightly surprised to get chicked by another though. Hmm.....

I'm not required by dd these days so may skip the next one to get some decent training in. I dont think I am on top form trying to squeeze these races in: hm last weekend, 10 miles friday, mile reps yesterday. I suppose I should be happy to have run 40s faster than last year!

I like the rrr race though and plan to be there.
  • Just checked last year's results. I was 185th in total, so gained 71 places in total. image

One day I'll be nearer the front.

• Evening Guys,

19th for me today not bad considering I've trying to shift a touch of the dreaded "man flu". Just wish I didn't take it so easy in the first instance.

Well done to you Datchet Boys- solid running by all.

• Wow, We've got ourselves a joint 3rd - Catching up with RRR of they had a bad day image

You'd have been next wool image

Only had enough in me to steal 29th over the last 20m, almost smashed through one side of the funnel due to the angle I overtook him!

My first running of the course was lovely though - Glad it didn't have an evil loop off the last hill.

---

Stunning work by DD this season, a great show of force. They've got the prettiest ladies also, a big plus point for any club imo.
  • Stevie G . wrote (see)

Personally I find a 3 hill section on the Finch course the toughest segment of the whole series. Splendid though

In June of this year there was a motorcycle enduro in warren heath and running the " special test "  makes the 3 hill section feel quite easy!!!!  
  • Well, only a week away from the killer course...
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    a perfect race for me to make my first appearance this season image
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Geez, took a bit of finding, this thread, with all the "Pick me/vote for me" spam littering up the forum!!

Toughest course tomorrow then, although shouldn't be much mud, and even possibly could even be a road trainers job, though I wouldn't risk it!

Finally get to race for the new club, which will feel weird with my old club there.

I doubt they'll care, as they have a 50min 10mile man racing tomorrow...so I think that's the winner sorted then!!

• A bit of apprehension here for tomorrow.

XC shoes for me, even though I think crampons would be better. Got to dash off after crossing the line, so will miss the grub. image

How long is this one?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i think it's at least 5.5miles, maybe only slightly more.

The cruel bit is when you come down the very steep descent at about 4 1/2miles or so, only to see the people in front heading up a pretty steep last hill!

Also, you pretty much can recgonise you're very close to the finish, but the final hill takes you up and around, and the long way round!

The thrash down the grassy bank in the last 400metres (the same hill you go up in at about 3/4miles) is pure adrenaline/fear, desperately trying not to lose a place at the finish, or maybe trying to take someone at the end.

I have the usual pre race mixture of fear and excitement!

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

just decided that I am going to make the long trip tomorrow after all - tempted by all this talk of a REALLY tricky course!

SG - are you willing to share a bit more info on the course. All I know is that the start and finish are really tough but what about the middle?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    sorry mate, just picked your message up now..find me there and I'll tell all!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Well...Handy cross is a toughie isn't it. The bit that gets me is the mental side, as I always think I'm having a terrible race. Then you compare against last year's, and it's faster/better position and you think, oh!

First of all, after 3 injury affected weeks a mere couple of weeks ago, was good to race decently.

11th in 36.00dead, as opposed to 12th in 36.06 last year.

Was shocked to see Annie from Sprint's lot smash me, she had an amazing run.  3rd home for Sandhurst, lost to a guy I always lose to at this one, so hopefully i can put that right next time image

I wouldn't say it affected my placing, but I bloody lost the sole of my right shoe in the mud midway. Meant I had no grip on the right side for the rest of the race, and basically was running in the equivalent of a paper slipper! No wonder that foot is sore now!

Amazing race by the winner...2nd claim guy for my old gang...50mins for 10miles says it all really, so winning by 3mins isn't any surprise image

Gonna be super close between Sandhurst and Datchet for the win on this one.

• Watching the winner come down across the field was amazing - he was just flying and was visibly so much faster than those following - wouldn't surprise me if he had some fell running history. Sadly I got to see him because I had to stop at the top of the first hill as my groin/hip just didn't feel right, and I didn't want to risk it.

You're right about Annie, fantasic performance. The only lady I can think of who's ever been that far up in recent years is Sarah Gee. If you look at Annie's history on Power of 10 this year however you'll see she's done lots of hilly off-road stuff including England and UK trail running championships over 32 & 53 miles, so this will have been a gentle run out for her!

Datchet had more higher up the field than Sandhurst, but Sandhurst packed better in the middle, and I wasn't sure whether Sandhurst had 5 or 6 in before our last 3 crossed almost together. I doubt there'll be more than a couple of points in it. The Datchet ladies will be further down this week though I suspect - neither of the top scorers from the last event were there this week.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Commiserations on your race pal....never good to get a DNF, but probably a wise decision. If my sole hadn't fully come off, I would have had a decision to make too, as i couldn't have run with that flapping about. And i had to pull out of Sandhurst xc as i was a bit injured then too...lucky the next one is so close...hope you're healed! 

When Annie flew by,  i presumed i was underpar, as our record head to head is something like 15-0 to me! But it's clear she had a stonker, whereas i was probably in and around where i should be on this one. But no wonder given her training.... i'll be after revenge at the non hilly Reading image

It's like you say, you guys perhaps had 3 in the top 6 or so, we had 1 there, but then 2 more in the top 10men.  Our squad is stronger though. And when you add the women in, I think we'll pip it for today.

It's all good rivalry though, had some good banter with a couple of your guys like Phil, and Tom before hand.

Would be really tasty if both teams put their strongest lineups out. I know you were missing Chris, Steve F and Mr Cooney, whereas we have a couple of possible top tenners, as well as a solid top 15man!

I guess it'll never happen that everyone is available,so i'll be happy masquerading in the top 10 (men, anyway image)