Options

Thames Valley Cross Country 2011/12

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The field completely shrinks near the end Sleepy... Let's put it this way, I came 7th at Handy Cross a couple of years ago, when much less fit, as it was either the last or one before last, and only 166 raced.  (compared to 248 finishers sunday)

I think the last race of last series was even sillier, as half of the top 50 didn't turn up!

Some years the last xc has been as late as last week Feb or even March 1st, so by then you're really cutting into road season. I know they were conscious to avoid going past the first local road races this year, so the last race this year is 5th Feb.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    hill wise, nothing too majoy at Reading, only the last 200metres where you have to go up the hill you start on! I normally find it's a good chance to steal a place or 2 if you want it enough, or more importantly know it's coming where others don't!
  • Options
    To be honest, our depth of ladies ends at Annie mostly - our next finisher was 90th or so. If Annie doesn't turn up we are screwed.

We were missing our very fastest runners, we have 3 top 20 runners who weren't there, and our male depth is sadly so shallow that a few people out take us down to fifth. We pack our rest in well in the top 60, but you need a single figure score or at least a top 15 to take that chunk out of the score.
  • Options
    Metros was always the last race of the season, but it was moved to the first this year because so few people were turning up. The last 2 years they had 120 & 160 - this year 260.
  • Options
    Sprint for the line wrote (see)
    To be honest, our depth of ladies ends at Annie mostly - our next finisher was 90th or so. If Annie doesn't turn up we are screwed.
    Yes, but remember that the points the ladies score are purely based on ladies positions, hence why you won the ladies events as after Annie you had Elaine Armour in 7th and Lorayn Hockin in 13th. By comparison our last ladies scorer on Sunday is going to be around 50th as they currently have a guest runner listed as part of our team.
  • Options
    I always assumed that Datchet had great depth in the women - seemed too be a lady-fest at the Woodland 5 champ race you lot have
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    was definitely a lack of young hotties at sunday's race. Hopefully the elss gruesome Reading course will help on that level image
  • Options

You might want to take that back SG - or I'm telling!!! imageimage

It's just great from my point of view that there are as many ladies as there are - we were lucky to muster 30 up north!  And we had to do a shorter course and start before the men.  My only goal used to be to finish before Ben caught me! Always felt really bad for the last few wifeys who didn't!

Glad season ends on 5th Feb - am gonna try and shoehorn everything in if I can - there must be a way!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

outside of Marlow's ladies of course image

• Options
    I've heard from a few ladies that the lack of toilet facilities can be a put-off sometimes
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    but there were plenty of woods there...
  • Options

88th male, 96th overall.

First time on the course, but I'm a fair bit faster this year overall.

• Options

Woohoo Cat5 - good on ya!

SFTL - I'd second that! Ones that don't flush are not much better than none at all either.

(SG - you're being very brave today - it's a good job you're pretty swiftish! We're still ladies even if we like jumping in mud puddles you know!image)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

hehe, i do forget that just because I'm an "outdoor" type, many others prefer their creature comforts. That one portaloo really doesn't do a job does it!!

24miles done in the last 2 days since the race. I feel ready to utterly break now.... can count 5 separate aches!!

Sleepy, what's Ben's normal mileage look like? It's got to be approaching 100miles a week surely?

• Options

S'alright SG - my husband's faster than you so he can catch you and steal all your cakes NER NER

I hope you're not "outdoor" at home!! There were quite a few moans from ladies that needed to go but the queue was too big so had to run with a full tummy (so to speak) - never fun. Maybe the fact should get added to the info that gets sent out beforehand - at least people could then make sure they've been on the way.  I can't say I noticed if there were any public ones in the local villages.

I haven't run since - my spikes skinned my heels for me (image) - that'll teach me to wear them 3 times in 5 years.  Still the plasters are off now so hopefully I'll be able to face shoes tomorrow!

Ben's mileage - nah - you'd be surprised - he's more about quality than quantity - he says he averages 50.  He's only just gone to double sessions.  Does lots of abs, hills & fast efforts.  If you want more specifics - he'll be happy to chat - grab him on Sunday - even better bring him a cup of tea over and you'll not shut him up!  He's not secretive about  his training in the slightest. image

I'd get him to log in but he's up to eyeballs in some work for tomorrow just now.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I feared that would be the case...one of these talented types image

I'm strictly from the "work very hard" for my meagre results image

Having clocked his calves, there must be plenty of gym work too.

Well done to any ladies who ran without unleashing. If i tried that I'd have broken down about 1/2mile in. It's my one key pre race thing to sort, even over a warmup!!

At least your shoes stayed in 1 piece. I lost the whole bottom half of one of my shoe, meaning i ran 3miles in a slipper! Was dangerous down that very steep down hill, had to run in the rough!!

• Options

Well it's no wonder you didn't notice all the 'hotties' if you were too busy checking out Ben's legs!

Not good on the shoe front - are you sending them back to the manufacturer?  Not quite 'fit for purpose' in my book.  Yeah I was very pleased I'd opted for spikes - we warmed up on that hill in trail shoes and I was all over the place.  Ben tried it in road shoes - oh how I laughed!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

well...they were 6 years old image

A few days before i thought the weather and sheer lack of rain might make road shoes a possibility for once, but experience of this course is that it's never doable in anything less than studs.

Not many of the courses are spikes friendly though...Reading has some path sections...and some of the others have road or hard trail.

Secured a rest day tomorrow...good job, I'm utterly smashed this week. Back to it Thursday with a 4 and an 8!

• Options

I take it you were talking about the shoes!!! image Good job it's nearly Christmas eh.  Mine'll be back in their box now til next season probably.

Enjoy your day off!

• Options

Better warn you - the Marlow ladies (and men if we can press gang them into it) are planning a bit of festive fun at Reading - should you wish to join us - the general theme is fairy fancy dress.   Ben says he will if other chaps do! (Wings and tutus are widely available so no excuses)  And no - I won't be climbing any trees!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Oh dear, the Marlow blokes, bar Ben certainly don't need anything to slow them down!!

Is he doing many of the remaining ones then? Surprised he hasn't got more high profile races ahead? I have to bargain my races with a coach, and he's a lot faster than me!

• Options

hee hee

We're not quite sure what's going on after Christmas yet.  Ben's away on a course for 2 months (Jan 3 - Feb 24) so we'll have to see how much work he gets given and whether he makes it home at weekends.  He does have various races in the calendar - his are normally Saturdays as you'd expect so it'll depend on whether he's able to get there and back in a day and get his work done.

Don't tell Ben you've got a coach - he'll be very, very jealous - I keep telling him he should think about it but it's difficult when we're moving/potentially moving so much.  Do you have much face to face time with yours or mostly phone/email?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's via this site and over the net really.

I'm pretty shocked someone of his level doesn't have any kind of coach. He must be one of the best runner in the country not to have one I'd have thought!

He's obviously doing amazingly as it is, but there's always the chance he could squeeze more out.

Drop me a pm, and I'll give you some info that might suit him...

• Options

I would do if your inbox would let me - says you don't accept pms.

We'll see you Sunday anyway all being well!  

Right better do some work image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ahh i think you have to open your messaging first, mine's receiving them!

But yes, no doubt in some hyped up post race chat i'll bore you with a few options!

• Options
    Sleepy Bear - thanks for letting me know about this thread.  See you on Sunday, frills and all !!!
  • Options
    Jeez it's going to be a cold one today folks, wrap up warm!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

first back to report today then!

average one for me today.... 16th, in a time about 1min 20 or so slower than last year.

Didn't quite feel on it today, not sure if it was the few weeks semi injured catching me up, or mentally not feeling 100% bodywise.

However, good to get a last race in before christmas, was a nice one, and good banter as always. Shame a few more from the race don't find their way on here.

ps hope you're feeling better cat!

• Options
    Felt hard today, but almost pushed my way above our number 2, happy with 33rd when I didn't feel 100% - No excuse, just wasn't completely at the races today.

Ran 39.40 for today, Ran a 42.01 last year for 60th

The course seemed a little longer this year;

This year (via Garmin) 5.77 miles / 9.28km

Last year (via Garmin) 5.59 miles / 9.00km