Thames Valley Cross Country 2011/12

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    enjoyable at Tadley today...snuck back in the top 10, helped by some of the fasties not turning out image 7th today.

Had some good fun in the first ditch, losing my shoe, and panicking trying to get it back on, but it revitalised me for the climb in the last mile, and nice to finish.

Enjoyed that one..how about everyone else?
  • 35.41 (24th) - 38.09 (55th) Last year- Pleased, but struggled a bit - lost a lot of time passing a team-mate - and waiting for a RRR who seemed to contemplate each ditch!.. never got into a perfect flow.

Good running SG, well done mate.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    lovely progression, and should hope so seeing some of your times in training on facebook...

found Tadley one of the more flowing races to be honest, Bracknell and especially Finchampstead certainly have more to upset your rhythm.

In fact the triple hill section at Finch is probably the toughest section on any of these races.
  • Anyone hear anything about how the girl (that got barbed wire stuck in her leg) is?  Hope she's doing ok - assume she had to go to hospital for a tetanus? image

Never really seemed to get going today - got stuck in a crocodile in the woods and then it was too fast for me on the flat and flatish sections once everyone spread out.  Still - it's all good fun and good training! Hope the next one is a bit hillier -  suits me better!

Unlucky on the shoe SG - you're having a shoe-drama season really aren't you!   I only saw one other person wrestling one back on (in the sucky mud section down the side of the field).  Was glad for the tip offs - had tied triple knots just in case!

• Sleepy Bear - I saw the lady at the end that got the wire stuck in her leg and heard her say she was okay, not sure if she needed to go to hospital in the end! 

I had a good run today, really enjoyed it, well apart from that energy sapping field near the end it certainly seems to slow your pace down a bit.  I was quite happy though as took nearly 6 minutes off of my time last year image

I also agree with Sleepy Bear that SG is definitely have a shoe drama, after reading your posts about Handy Cross and now Tadley image

• Enjoyed Tadley today - good to meet SB and nice to have a chat with Ben about HR monitors which has me thinking about trying them again if I can find the one I bought years ago.

Slower times for me in this year's races - think it's just the other work i'm doing at the moment which really isn't conducive to fast racing at the weekends.  The events are no less enjoyable though.  Oh, and Sunderland got through to round 4 so that's good!!

See you all at Bracknell.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    good racing people. Didn't see any barbed wire myself..sounds particularly nasty...that's a good way to ruin your race!

Sleepy, next one is a 2 lapper, one big hill on each lap, plenty more ups and downs...

and yes, i aim to get back to more traditional excuses for the rest of the series...run too much/run too little/feel ill/not enough sleep/too much sleep etc.

Claire, 6mins off your time wow!! Other years I'm sure they've changed the Tadley course a bit...but I'm sure last years was exactly the same as today, so it's a proper comparison.
  • Hi All,

Was the field much faster this year? I think I was only 12 seconds faster than last year, which is not on par with this season so far image.

Still, sounds like you all had a good outing.

Bracknell falls on the same day as my son's brithday, so I won't be there. That makes Tadley my last race as I'll be marshalling at the Finch race. Hopefully at the bottom of the big hill image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Cat...and trust me, a 12sec improvement isn't to be sniffed at. Hard to compare conditions year on year, but I've certainly found those fields near the end a lot harder before.

Maybe the blind panic of the shoe nonsense!

I remember where you marshalled last year, same place? In the middle of the triple hill section? Thinking about at least one of those, probably the 2nd hardest hill of the series after Handy Cross image
  • C2 - that's good news  thanks - poor thing - it must have been sore!  The chap in front of me in the first set of woods got his foot tangled in something but it looked like just fencing wire.  Wonder if that was the end of it? One of our ladies heard her scream and then someone else pulled it out for her. Apparently it was caught in her calf.  Bleurgh - doesn't bear thinking about...

Hurrays all round for everyone going faster than last year and just generally having a nice morning!

Extra hurray for upcoming hills

smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Nice to see you too oscarr. Sorry we had to scarper - the perils of dog ownershipimage

Maybe we should start calling SG Cinderella LOL. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Cheeky! I did take my shoe with me unlike Cinders!

It's amazing how few people I've ever seen take a fall at xc..bearing in mind often you're so close to the one in front you're trusting your landing amongst branches, twigs, mud, puddles, and this time barbed wire!
  • Think I saw a curled piece in the first wooded section near the road you walk along to the start.
  • Wooo, BFR have got their 3rd place back.

Ellie and Jenny had storming races

Sub 30 winning time. Jeez.
  • Just seen the official results. 1s faster than last year (vs my Garmin). Definitely an off-day as I was  3:24 faster at Sandhurst vs last year.

We're 6th overall.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Feels odd to be surprised by Reading winning the event, as for the last infinite years they've been right up there.

Powerhouse women's performance, 1st, 3rd and 4th!

Our top 4 men were slightly ahead on aggregate from their top 4, both clubs had a top 8 man from the last race missing, but the 5th and 6th places were crucial.

I think it's guaranteed, that'll be Datchet's lowest finish of the season, 9th! None of their top 6 turned up!

My old gang Marlow, 5th overall! terrific result...best I can remember in 6 years. I should probably move on quickly though having transferred over to the SJ image

• Stevie G . wrote (see)
    I think it's guaranteed, that'll be Datchet's lowest finish of the season, 9th! None of their top 6 turned up!

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous comment (county champs) and as soon as a few go, it is a house of cards.

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=927

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I didn't know Datchet was in Kent image  And you didn't say the whole lot were out!

That fella has an interesting track record... 1hr 15 half, sub 2min 800metre, but hardly anything on the board in the last 5 or 6 years!

• 6th place for me yesterday which I was chuffed about, feels good to beat Sandhurst.

Evening Claire.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one pal...i shared a good couple of miles running with you until the first water jump...when ..well..bit of a shoe disaster!

But was pretty neck and neck between our first 4, and your first 4... 8 Sandhurst and Reading in the first 10!

Your 5th and 6th were too strong though.

and as for your women's team.... 1st, 3rd and 4th..is terrific!

well done
  • Evening roadrunna Roy image  Your flying, and did very well for the team yesterday image

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

I didn't know Datchet was in Kent image  And you didn't say the whole lot were out!

That fella has an interesting track record... 1hr 15 half, sub 2min 800metre, but hardly anything on the board in the last 5 or 6 years!

I think most of that fast stuff was when he was at Loughborough Uni. He lapsed a bit when he left but is now coming back. He has an even faster brother who beat all the Dashers at one of the summer 5k series in 2011. Sadly only one of them has moved to the Windsor area.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Coming back when you've been fast before, must be a challenge. He's still young though, so no reason he can't match it he he wants...although the track stuff might be an ask!
  • Thanks for the good feedback SG, I enjoyed running an XC race that actually resembles XC.

Our women definitely had a good one seeing as they've been chasing a certain BFR lady who seems be in a good place at the moment.

Well done to all who ran.

Thanks for the praise Claire it means a lot.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tadley has to be the most varied course. And i definitely prefer the shorter races, even though we're only talking perhaps 1mile difference between shortest (Sandhurst) and longest (Datchet).

Bracknell's Annie is in a right purple patch...last series I was 2-3mins ahead, this series in 2 races has been1 min ahead! That's a  turnaround!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    so who's in for Bracknell?

Just heard it's the last one of the series, as Finch has been cancelled unfortunately. Permit issues.

What a shame, liked that one.
  • Great pity. We had plans afoot to try to snatch series 2nd place from under RRR's noses image
  • Crikey you weren't joking then SG!  Boooo - what a shame! Anyone know of anything else going on that day? image
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    haha Sleepy, I'm not sly enough to try and con you so you don't bring Ben, and I can steal one more place image

I'm already feeling guilty that marlow would have been 4th If I'd run for you on sunday image

Did have a look on the events tracker, but no XC that day within 50miles, some XC on the saturday though...somewhere random, but 10k.
  • Oh well that's me lost my 3rd lady in the club xc series for the season then.  I was relying on it for my 6th counter - on five I get pushed out of the placings - och well! No evidence of me ever existing in the Hall of Fame when I leave then image

Sure I'll survive LOL

Might have to be a parkrun weekend then! Thanks for looking SG.