Ladybower 50

Comments

• OK, just read through all this and have been mulling over finding the right ultra for my first one and I think this must be it!

Right distance, right date, right location, but still scared s***less at the thought!

Done 3 marathons with a PB of 3:21 in at Chester in October, but would like some help on training plans, nutrition etc if anyone can help?

• I'm keen to do this, but I'm not getting any response to my emails via the organiser's web site. I noticed that it hasn't been updated for a while, and neither has the Facebook page.

I could register via RW, but I want to be sure that this is really going to happen before I sign up.

Just looking for some reassurance image

• jsd,

The organiser's work in the day time at a guess I'd say they are taking a week off for christmas and your going to get a e-mail in the new year.

Rob for nutrition it's a ultra err pork pies. image Sure there will be wiser heads than mine about at some point soon.

• Hey guys,

That's right Cake. Been off the radar for a few weeks, but am now back to get cracking with this. Up to 27 registrations now. So exciting.

Sponsors are coming up with the goods too.

The website will start showing updates soon.

1st training and familiarisation run in Feb.

Don't worry. This is happening and will be awesome.

Cheers guys
  • By the way- apologies for the delay in getting back to you.
  • Good day to you.

The first training and familiarisation run will be 5th feb 10am. A gentle 10 miler showing the first section of the route.

Those not taking part in the 50 are more than welcome also.

Meet at fairholmes cafe.

More details to follow.
  • Hi, im checking in here so keep me posted on the updates. I entered today image
  • Just looked it up today for the training run on 5th and thought I'd pass it on in case anyone else is reliant on public transport like myself. Looks like the 273 bus runs on a Sunday morning from Sheffield Interchange at 9:00 and gets to Derwent, Fairholmes at 9:32. Of course, ideally I'd just run to the start as it's only 11 or 12 miles but I reckon I'll save that till later in the year...

@Rob - I'm new at this like yourself so can't really give much in the way of good advice but in the absence of any other response here's something. (I also did Chester btw though it was my first mara and had a time of 4:31 so you're well ahead of me on that one).

Relentless Forward Progress by Byron Powell seems to be a commonly recommended text for would be ultra-runners. Can't say I thought too much of it myself - lot of info about trail running which wasn't that useful since I live in the UK not the USA, and a lot of stuff copied off ultra-running webpages that I'd already read. But probably worth a read anyway.
    You must have already found it yourself but if not I like the page http://www.ultramarathonrunning.com/ (sorry Chrome doesn't seem to want to let me turn it into a link) as it has quite a lot of info on how to train for an ultra plus lots of other interesting stuff.

Ok, that's me done with posting stuff everyone probably knows already, lol.
  • Thanks for the tip JG, I have ordered the Bryon Powell book from Amazon so we will see how it goes.

Kingy, Unfortunately, I cant make 5th Feb which is a shame as I really fancied it, will there be more of these familiarisation runs to come? Is it easy enough to work out a 10 - 15 miler taking in part of the course by just turning up there?

Cheers

Rob
  • Yes rob, I plan to do loads of runs around the area.

The routes are really easy to work out. Circumnavigating the reservoirs gives you plenty of distance options. Let me know when you want to head out and I will join you if I can.

There are loads of routes online around there too. The LB50 will stick to the edge of the water, so as long as you are next to the drink, you should be going the right way. It will be marked on the day, but it isn't a tough one at all to map out.

See you soon

Steve
  • Thanks Steve,

I will drop you a note when I plan to head up. Enjoy 5th Feb!

Rob
  • Passed the wife test. I should be at Ladybower Sunday
  • We could have a bit of snow as well for the weekend.

See you there
  • There was some snow round Ladybower last weekend - had a lovely run round it on Sunday!
  •  wont be there this sunday,doing a 20 mile recce of the dukeries ultra,will hopefully be at the next one.

• Might be a little snowy Sunday image
  • The training run is cancelled. Sorry for those who were coming. The roads are mental. I was out there this afternoon on my bike when the snow started and it settled straight away.
  • I really want to do my first ultra this year and was looking at this one or the High Peak 40?

I haven't ran anything longer than a marathon (have ran 10), does anyone have any advice for me. 

• Claire, Seems like we are in a similar position, although you have done more marathons than me!

I decided that this one would be better than the High Peak 40, as it will be flatter - although 10 miles longer! My view is that you are going to run that sort of distance, get the most bang for your buck!

Anyway, I have been researching training etc and the golden rule seems to be run lots of long runs (possibly back to back) and learn to walk at times. Most seem to think that a run to walk ratio of about 5:1, so training with this idea on long runs helps. Also, learn to eat along the way. My goal time is about 9 hours for 50 miles so even if not running you need to eat in that time, so again preparing for that in training is key.

I am doing the Stafford half at the end of March then will be concentrating all running efforts on this run. I find the whole thing a little daunting but hey, whats life about if its not doing mad things like this?

Rob
  • Rob, thanks so much for your reply, that's really helpful.

I thought the same as you, this would be flatter than High Peak 40. 

I'm training for London at the moment but have done a couple of long runs of 16 plus, around the Goyt Valley and Ilam the last couple of runs.

I'm running Ashby 20 in March!

Right...I think I might enter?!  image  I just thought it would be good to do an event without having to book accommodation and do something fairly local.

Yes your right, the fuel thing is going to crucial for me as I'm not good at that at the best of times, will need to get one of those backpack things!!

Thanks

• No problem, Claire,

Good luck at London and hope to see you in September at Ladybower

R
  • Hows the training going guys? I ran my first 20 miler for sometime, my next long one is going to be a 30 miler. Then a few 35's and then 40.

It all seems easy on paper but actually getting out there is something else image
  • Hi Peakrunning,my training going well,done 2 x 22 milers,1 x 25 miler and a 21 miler over the last 4 weekends. will be a short one this weekend [ recovery week ] ,Then hopfully will do a 28 or 30 miler next weekend.Plan is to build up to 40 miles by end of may,for my first ultra race,[ The Dukeries Ultra ].Then its steady build to get up to the 50.
  • kingy1889kingy1889 ✭✭✭
    You guys are putting me to shame.

Steadily built up to a comfy 18 miles so far. My dog no longer gets excited when I put my running shoes on. He just pretends to be asleep
  •   18 miles at the moment sounds good,have been up to 28 miles a few weeks ago,then got the dreaded shin splints [ left leg only ]  just started back this weekend and only did 10 miles.will be at least a week before i go much further.
  • I've so far ran a 23 , I wanted to be abitfurther onwards but life got in the way. I'll try a marathon next month and.build from there
  • kingy1889kingy1889 ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon,

What a great day. We have just been informed by our partners at Runners World that the 2012 Ladybower 50 has sold out.

Apologies for the lack of information over the past two months. I wanted to make sure everyone got the same info rather than drip feeding it as people registered.

So..... here we go. What a fantastic year we have ahead of us. A little info for you:

entrants - 50
    average age - 41
    average expected finish time - 11 hrs 40
    Most requested foods - Malt loaf, mars bars, jam sandwiches on white
    males - 32
    females - 18

Please, please, please let me know if you want to see any specific food at the feed stops. I will do my best to make sure you are happy. With this in mind, please remember it is not an a la carte restaurant and fillet steak sits very heavy whilst running.

We plan to head out for our first recce run on the 5th May. This is a Saturday and we will be heading out at 9 am. 10 miles easy pace
    The second run will be on the 19th May. 10 - 12 miles easy pace
    The third will be 16th June. This will be an opportunity to do a single loop of the course. On all of these runs, please bring adequate food and drinks as well as a dog if you have one.

If you have any questions in the forthcoming months, please get in touch.

Thank you once again for registering for this event. we will have a great time on the day and on the months leading up to it.

Best wishes

Steve
  • Who's doing this ?,and as anyone got any updates as to whats happening.looks like the web page hasn't been updated for a while.

• Still thinking it through. Trainings not gone that well last few months and got an ironman in a couple of weeks depending how that goes will deside what I do for the rest of the year.

• kingy1889kingy1889 ✭✭✭
    Guys the website will be updated as things happen. It is a bit slow at the moment as there isn't much to report.

The Facebook group is pretty active if you want to see how other people are getting on