pilgrim challenge 2012

Comments

• Thanks HTF - how's everyone else's training going? Everyone doing both days?
    I am - hopefully Father Christmas will be bringing me a sleeping bag and mat!

I'm deliberately ahead - sneaky plan to not feel guilty if I pig out a bit at Christmas!

• Did you go for a Brazilian ahapartridge? Thats going to itch when that starts growing againimage

Try waxing next time

Amanda

• A.Runner, it's a sort of half mohican at the moment, starting to itch slightly, but the tape appears to be working, the things we do for running!
  • My mileage up until 2 weeks ago was about 30 miles, then had flu and havent been for a long run since. Plus every weekend at the moment is taken up with family commitments..getting a bit worried really, will I be ready in time. My plan is to do parts of the route in December and January, if I dont not sure whether its worth doing it.

Up in leeds over christmas and will try and do the chevin chase on Boxing day.

PS Thanks for all the advise so far....

• Saturday - did a slow recovery waddle from Guildford to (almost) start and back.  Covered about 16 miles.  Still a bit knackered from Druids', but good to be on sandy soil rather than heavy clay.

Hope those currently on injury bench come off soonimage.

• Gone a bit quiet here- how are things going for everyone?  Managed equivalent of CP2-3 and back.  Main problem was with slightly dodgy headtorch - had back up hand held torch but pitiful beam and managed to lose it image.  Fortunately headtorch lasted until got back to Guildford.  Next Friday will confront the Box Hill steps.....

• Great going BBH. Are you training in the dark on purpose?
    I have yet to run with a torch, which one are you using?
    So far I have run (in stages) almost to Ranmore Common, so am feeling a little better about not getting lost.

Ran 10 miles today and feel that most of my body is currently falling apart. To think that I would have had another 23 miles on top of that, and then to repeat the experience the following day, is now making me feel I should be sectioned.
  • Well done BBH, just the thought of those steps at Box hill makes me shiver.

H2F, I know what you mean about being sectioned, although you won't be alone on the route, there are enough straight jackets to go round, when you get to the school hall on the first night.

Bought a new pair of trainers yesterday, Newton running shoes, totally different to what i've had before.  Thought i'd christian them this morning with a 14 miler, must be mad, but hey ho.  The thing is i've got to start trying to land on the front part of my foot and spring forward, instead of landing on my heel or mid section.  Easier said than done, also I'm trying to train by heart beat, rather than always going out a full pelt.  Trying to do both these things at once is quite tricky, I thought us men could multi taskimage  

• Good going BBH - having never done the box hill steps I am maintaining blissful ignorance! Sadly that won't be the case for day 2. As you say H2F we must all be a little mad!
    Aha - how did it go with the newtons? I have just got a pair - only did 6 mile test in them. Plan is to use them mainly for road races.
    Currently offshore at the moment so it's a daily treadmill session. Been trying to do 90min a day - it's fine fitness wise but sooooooo boring! Takes a lot of will power to stay on the flippin thing.

62 days to go!! image Doesn't sound so long does it?!!

• hopetofinish - only reason training in dark because as a walker rather than runner it's the only way to fit training in.  Actually live in London so need an hour to get to Guildford and another 20 mins to get to NDW.  I've got several head torches, the most powerful is a Silva which gives a very good beam, but was the one I was having trouble with, I've also a Petzl which is OK and my favoutite backup which is a cheapo Stormlite - not so powerful but a good and reliable. It does help actually training on the course.  The signage is a bit better this year.

ahapartridge - glad your back in training, good luck with the new technique.

It is quite tricky the timing of this event as being 'next year' it feels further away than it is and Christmas is just at the point where you want to maximise your training - still allows for guilt free consumption of Christmas goodiesimage.

• I'm all signed up and really looking forward to February now! First race of many in 2012...
  • Thanks BBH - will check out the Silva. You are certainly showing dedication spending an hour getting to where you are to train!

ahap - 14 miles is excellent considering you have just come back from injury. I have owned a heart rate monitor for 3 years, and it is still in the box.

Welcome Sam.

61 days to Pilgrims #bury's head in the sand, and pretends that she has plenty of time to learn to run an ultra, lose weight, and look like a runner#
  • Hi All. Just to let you know that this is a really great event by a really great race organiser. Did it a couple of years ago and helped out last time. Beautiful run, quite hard but the camaraderie and the great team will make sure you get around mostly intact image

Did a blog on it if you are interested.

pilgrims

• James - Thinking of popping into Guildford town on route to pick up that Big Mac box for you to sign!
  • Great read James. Sounds good apart from "then came the bastard hills!" image

• Just back from 13 miles along the route. Underestimated how long I was going to take, and only just got back before dark. Was a little worried there for awhile. Have ordered a silva headtorch (thanks BBH), and will def. be putting that in a backpack together with a silver blanket. Today was the first time ever that I actually thought, what the hell would I do if I got stuck out here in the dark. I had a mobile phone, and I knew roughly my location so I guess I would have phoned hubby and told him to bring a flippin big torch to located me!

The track was fairly muddy in places, but I know that there is some road/hard track to cover, so do peeps stick with road shoes or opt for trail?

Hope everyone has had a great weekend.
  • hopetofinish - well done which section did you do?  Just try and familiarise yourself with route as much as you can before event.  Unless it is really wet the terrain is for the main quite well drained - and I for myself prefer road shoes as the trail shoes I've tried seem to be slippier on the non trail sections than road shoes are on the trail - if you get my drift.

Have yet to attack Box Hill steps - 'im indoors had an op this week which meant I climbed to 11th floor of local hospital instead - a bit more even and less muddy although still quite hard going.  Back in training next weekimage.

• Wishing you a speedy recovery BBH. I too have yet to get to the Box Hill steps!

Parked at Newlands corner and than ran 6.5 miles out and then back. Luckily I have already done this route before. Now I need to park further along, and run a new stretch.
  • Not me that's the invalid one but 'im indoors - who is now home and can be left to own devices.

Rather pleased about enforced break as I was still feeling a bit knackered from the Ridgeway.

• Ha! sorry BBH I read it as im indoors. Need to clean lap top screen, missed the ' completely!

Wondering as I am so slow whether it would be better for me to start with the walkers...
  • Did Guilford to  A24 and back, looked at Box Hill but have yet to climb the wretched thing.  A bit hard going as the paths were quite slippery and quite a few puddles.  Return through wooded section seemed to go on forever in the dark.  Will try and fit in shorter Box Hill section next week.  Must also remember to actually enter - was waiting for this month's credit card payment to go through.

hopetofinish - advantage of earlier start is that you will either avoid or have to do less of the route in the dark.

• Boing - how's it all going?  Made elementary mistake which I'm too image to talk about until resolved.  Have conquered dreaded Box Hill steps howeverimage.
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Just getting back to it after Xmas - 17 today. Starting to panic a bit that I'm not ready. Oh well it will be slow and steady and walking up hills I think.

• Please tell me you have entered Bear!

Jeremy - I am so under trained that I have considered pulling out. Have 18 miles planned this weekend and The Winter Tanners (20 miles) next weekend. Have until tomorrow I believe to make up my mind. Sensible thing would be to go down to just day 1, but fancy the whole community atmosphere of the meal and listening to James.
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    HTF well I had 17 yesterday and 10 today ( not even end of day 1 yet! ) same as you I fancy the atmosphere and the talk so am going to go for it. I know I can run the first day, second day - well I can always walk most of it if need be so will start early.
    Besides got some new kit for christmas so be rude not to use it!
  • hopeto finish - you guessed my mistake!!  Didn't so much forget to enter as put it off until 'im indoors had recovered, then there were the Christmas preparations so by the time I got round to it I got the 'event full' message.  Fortunately there was a vacant slot and I managed to squeeze inimage.

Hope you do decide to go ahead and do it.  Glad you're a deffo Jeremy.

Yesterday did a linear fron Guildford to Merstham next week will do a final long one (Guildford - top Box Hill - Guildford).  Track drying out, still some mud, but quite a lot of debris and a couple of fallen trees from high winds.  More of a problem for runners than walkers I imagine.

• Excellent news Bear, so glad you made it!!!

I'm doing The Winter Tanners (20 miles) next week, so not sure whether to do another long one after that or not. Would be lovely to have run the entire course, right up to the school gate so I know where I am going.

17 miles today for me and that felt far enough.
  • Good luck with Winter Tanners - did that some time back and it was great!   Which bits of course are you most unsure of?
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

Glad you got in BBH - I guess more spaces open up nearer the day as well.
    Nearly a 60 mile week for me with a couple of 2hr+ back to backs so feeling fairly confident. Looking forward to it esp as I won't have a time pressure to keep going so stopping to rest/admire the view is perfectly ok!

Do I need to get the OS maps or will the route map provided be ok?
    Probably get lost anyway!

Where is the Winter Tanners HTF? I would think another long one after done at a slow enough pace would be ok with usual proviso listen to your body etc