Gosport Half-Marathon

Comments

• just hope the weather holds out for sunday,

I am really looking forward to it now!image

• Weather forecast looks really good.

Im looking forward to a nice stroll along Lee seafront in the morning, before heading over to Gunwharf to do my Xmas shopping image
  • Just seen on facebook that meridian news will be filming the start of the race and interviewing the winner,  really great if this happens!

more advertisement for runningimage 

• aw,,,but i have no chance of winning ;-p

Maybe ill just have to push my way to the front at the start !
  • At  least if you get to the front you might get on tv?

It will all be over by the time I finish!

• No runs at all this week, lost my mojo, looking forward to tomorrow and start of my marathon training for next few weeks.

Good luck to my mate running with me, first time hes entered a race.

Good luck every one see you tomorrow,
  • Hi and good luck to you all, I ran the course today with the Gosport road runners, weather was good and looks good for you all tomorrow, just be a little careful along the prom at Lee on Solent as it was very busy with families with dogs and kids etc! Hope you all achieve pb's!
  • wishing everyone luck tmw,

I nearly fainted at work today my bp was only 93/61. not sure whats happening, I am still running though! image

• good luck everyone, have a great day...

Cant miss me ive just coloured in the name on my Bliss vest image
  • So Tom will be interviewed by meridian huh? Best warn him lol. Have a great race all!!!
  • So how did everyone get on today?

I really struggled at 11 miles, got a blister (never get those). at least I finished thoughimage

2hr 14.29 

• This was my 3rd time at this event and the route has been different everytime.  For me, this was the best - possibly because I got a PB!!!!  Hope everyone had a great race, we couldn't have asked for better conditions.

• Had a good run, got pains after 10 miles but continued to the end.

Time 2hr 13.55

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Forever Hopeful - What time did you get?

PB for me too. 1:17. Would hoped to have been a minute or 2 faster but considering the injury over the last 2 weeks I can't complain. Back to having a very sore foot again now though! image

• Well, I was pacing my girlfriend for a 2hr finish and she crossed the line in 1:59:57! I crossed in 2:00:00!!! Think I did my job pretty well lol! Well done to the finishers, good time wetter, I'm hoping to get somewhere close to 1:30 or less in Holland next year, the serious training is about to start!!!
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Thats pretty good pacing. I don't think I would qualify as a good pacer with my lack of ability to even pace myself correctly! image Good luck in the hunt for the the 1:30... opening a can of worms when you get it though as it will be hard to stop there! image enjoy.
  • 1hr 36 for me, a little slower than i would have really liked, and around 3.5 minutes slower than last year. Pretty happy though as its my seasons best, and ive been well off my pace all year, due to losing most of winter training through injury.

Had a really bad pain in the ball of my foot from around 8 miles, and had to really battle with myself to fight through it.

Great job from the marshalls and spectators though....People shouting my name really helped me through it today.

Great event though, and very pleased with the new baggage system that worked a treat,,

Post race massage excellent, although i did my best to cramp up in both legs when streching, but some excellent advice given...and heeded image

Thanks everyone, hope to be back next year.
  • Race Report

After doing the Great South Run I decided to carry the distance forward and do Gosport ½ Marathon again. Training has gone well over the last month and I’ve managed to step up the distance. For those of you that don’t know me I’m 5’9’’ 17 stone and 47 years old, not your average triathlete so my times are based on fat bloke times and not skinny runner beans. Note to self must lose at least 1 ½ stone for next year.

I have talked a friend into running and before long I will get him doing triathlons. This was his first run so its helped me focus on the training.

We left home at 7-45 and got into Gosport at 8-45, good car parking and plenty of it so already a smooth day. Over to collect timing chips and not forgetting to put them on, London tri well and truly out my mind as I forgot to put the chip on and clocked a PB. Back to the car to finish getting ready, last drinks and off to the start.

Darran must have a week bladder as he went 4 time in 15 mins and also in the first 2 miles had to stop.

A nice long road to start on, you can see the start from where we started about 3/4s back. Lots of club runners and fund raisers as well as the odd tri clubs. A nice gentle start, nor pushing and shoving to get a place to run in and very friendly.

The course is as flat as can be with a long section twice around the airfield, this bit was boring but managed to chat to a few of other runners going round to make the time go quicker. We had a young lady join us at the 2 mile mark and stayed with up all the way round.

With my 10 mm in tact at the 6 mile point a sharp pain in the knee makes me slow down, now down to 10.20mm and this speed is carried on to the end, a nice 2 miles along the sea to finish and a bit of road up to the finish. Time 2hr 13.55

A good string goody bag with cake, crisps, fruit and drink. I will do this one again next year and the will be my third time.

Its good to be able to say I was the first Tri20 club member to finish today. Yes I know, I was the only one to enter. Thanks marshals and supporters.

Next stop is the Portsmouth Coastal Marathon on 18th December, my first marathon distance. i will make a will the week before.

Achievements for 2011

New Forest Olympic Tri
    London Olympic Plus
    South Coast Olympic Tri
    Ironman Wales
    Hever Castle Olympic
    Great South Run
    Gosport ½ Marathon
  • Wetter, nowhere near you at 1.29 but going for sub 90 so am very pleased!!  Not evenly paced so had to dig in for the last mile and a bit!

Congratulations to us all and to the organisers and marshalls image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Nice one FH... 1:25 next?! My splits are always all over the place! I tend not to do too much road running when I am training so don't spend any time just running mile after mile of flat road. Thats my excuse anyway image

Edited to add : Just seen provisional results are on gosportroadrunners.org.uk

• How is everyone feeling today?

my knees hurt, got to do squats and lunges. My CV is fine but my knees let me down sharp pain in the insides!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/518389/Gallery/2011_gosport_marathon_102.jpg

me and my son Joel, took this medal to school today
  • Well done to you both, lovely photo btw.

The only photo i have of the day, makes me look like a big lumbering in pain elephant ;-p

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Feeling very sore in my foot... think I am going to have to give it a few days rest to be back running ready for a weekend in the Lake District in a few days.

• Feeling sore, legs are tight and knee aches slighly but resting till tomorrow then back into training. No real distance till next weekend.
  • thedrainman,

whats the longest distance you have done to date for your marathon training?

I will run wednesday probably with gym tmw 

• Wetter, 1.25 sounds too much like hard work!!

My legs aren't too bad, I just feel exhausted ... not helped by not being able to sleep last night even though I was really tired image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I have had the same after an ultra before FH. Completely exhausted but couldn't sleep well at all... not sure why.

Definitely can't be tempted to go fro 1.25?!

• I'm feeling good today, will run again tomorrow as I'm addicted to it! I'm going to train hard until Christmas, then have a week off before going for it next year.

My friend Tom finished 4th after getting a stitch 2 miles in which got steadily worse. Interesting that even the man with the course record can have bad days.... Either that or my cooking is not up to scratch!!!!!
  • I saw your friend behind the lead guy and wondered what happened, not thats its comfort  to him but reinforces that even when you put in all the training you can have an 'off' day.

• Well Zoe, I think it may be the depressing film we watched the night before image

He also had to fly to Kenya at 9pm, so that is a lot for someone to take on in a day, I'm just glad his course record didnt go!!!