Options

Amsterdam Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options
    At Inverness Airport. Lovely and quiet, and very civilised. Good for my stress level.
  • Options
    Still in my House, plane doesn't leave Heathrow until 14:50! Very nervous now.
  • Options
    1335 from Manchester for me. Which is mental as I live in Harrogate and should have flown from Leeds.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow everyone. Particularly those fine folk that have invaded from the Paris thread. Having ran this one three times I'm sure you'll all love it.
  • Options
    Anyone that's been to the expo yet... Do you know if sis gels are available? Airport security just confiscated mine image
  • Options
    That's bad news, I'm flying later and assumed they'd be fine . They are only 60 ml after all.. Why did they take them away? Has anyone else got gels through?
  • Options
    They took them because I had more than 1 bag of liquids. so had to choose toiletries or gels and went with retaining the cheapest.

At Leeds airport my mate went through fine with two bags. That is just one of the reasons why Yorkshire is bestimage
  • Options
    Only AA gels at the expo... Just been to 'Run 2day' which is not far away. They had Born and Powerbar gels. Any use?
  • Options

Stray - i'm in a hotel at the airport. I'll have a look and see if there's a shop that sells any. Long shot, but there seemed to be thousands of shops there, so I might hit lucky. I'm planning to get to the stadium fairly early, so I can arrange to meet if I have any success. If I don't post anything by 8.30pm (Dutch time), I failed to find any.

• Options

Sorry SR, no luck with gels.

Although I did find a 4.5kg bar of Toblerone. if anyone fancies a post-run treat.

Drop me a line if you're tempted and I'll swing by on the way to the stadium tomorrow morning and pick one up. It's 120 euros though. Yes, you read that right, 120. Think hyper-inflation's finally hit the euro economy.

• Options
    Thanks for looking for the gels. Turns out I snuck one through - so much for airport securityimage

Didn't see any at the expo but have found a supplier image
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Hope you're all happily (!) in the land of nod by now....I know I've said it before but GOOD LUCK!!!  I'll be thinking of you all image

• Options

Bit tough out there today with the wind, especially coming back along the river.

Managed a PB of 3.46. To say I'm chuffed is an understatement.

Hope everyone else had a good run

• Options
    The wind was definitely though coming back on the river Weedy!

Hope everyone had a good run!!

3.28 in my first marathon, with a massive cramp attack at 35.5k and onwards. At least there was a nice policeman and spectator to help me when I pulled up like I'd been shot! Curse my stupid electrolyte tablets for dissolving in my pocket (to be fair I should have seen that coming...)
  • Options
    3:36 for me, a new PB by 6 minutes. James, I cramped up at 41k and limped home in a lot of pain. Not pleasant! That's a great time for your first marathon, well done. And well done Again Weedy - just being nosy but what was your previous best?
  • Options
    Well done you guys!!! Amazing times (I say that at a 3.52)image

Still am happy coming of the back of travel and a stinking cold.

Pub?
  • Options
    I thought it was a great race, that wind was tough in places, but i thought the temp with no sun was great to run in.

Really chuffed to have got a 3:08. Pretty much even splits but had a very hard time at 37-40. Managed to pull it together, just.
  • Options
    OK, I'm the slowest to post here so far, but I don't care because I came in at 3:57:57, 10 and a half minutes off my PB, and I'm still grinning image .

Thought the course was very crowded, although I was in the 4 hour pacemaker group, so I probably saw the worst of it. But full marks to the pacemaker. After his balloon blew away, he ran waving a branch for a while, until someone gave him a new bunch of balloons. Spot on time at half way too - got a bit in front of him by the end, but he was a big help. I'll be interested to see the splits.
  • Options
    I had a rubbish run but that is due to not very much training so got what I deserved. Was ok until half way (1:45) and had decided after 8km chownsie and my non-Internet mate were clearly out of my league.

Nice to see running rodent late on but everything was a blur by that point... You looked great though rr.

A personal worst for me by a long long way. Feeling very introspective at mo. would have DNF if I could hAve worked out who to speak to.
  • Options
    at schipol already to return to home and nurse my wounded pride
  • Options
    Sorry I missed you SR - probably slightly delirious by that point. Safe journey.
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    OK, I'm the slowest to post here so far, but I don't care because I came in at 3:57:57, 10 and a half minutes off my PB, and I'm still grinning image .

Proud of you, girl image

Sorry to hear you had a mare, SR....safe trip home

• Options
    This was my first marathon and it was really really tough- the last 12km were a mental battle to just keep the momentum moving. But I picked it up for the last 2k and even pulled a sprint finish in the stadium out of somewhere!! I'm seriously chuffed with my time, too - 3:48! But yeah, from 30-40km it was a battle, just taking it one km marker at a time.

Ice bath done, I'm now horizontal til dinner, and dragging my poor broken body to the party that the Dutch crew have arranged. Not sure how long I'll stay, but I'll definitely make an appearance in my red dress & lippy!
  • Options
    I was horrendously slow, but smiling nevertheless. A PW for me, it was so cold, I found it really tricky to stay warm and am not good in the cold at all. Very busy back in the 4:30 group, spent most of my time side stepping around people and have got massive ITB pain image( Champagne has been poured and it doesn't all seem quite so bad now though!
  • Options
    Good run all in all - knocked 5 mins off my London time (somewhat flatter!) so well pleased with that. Found the last 4-5 miles hard going but great support from spectators around the course. Thank you Amsterdam.

It was a good idea to have names on our number so had a few encouraging shouts. Was pretty cold for the run - good for running but my wife was freezing in the Stadium by the time I found her!

Not sure my splits are right - has me down as crossing the start at 9.30.06 which was impossible as I was in the 3.30 - 4.00 category and took a while to cross the line. As a result, my first 5k is shown as 32 mins whereas I timed it as 26 mins!
  • Options
    Kevin - the times confused me as well, but they are clock times, not chip times.
  • Options
    Thanks SimonMac, the last few ks were a real struggle with the cramp, I feel your pain!!

Agree with you Kevin, support at the end was very good!!
  • Options
    Thanks Simon - that makes more sense! I've just received an e-mail from Amsterdam Marathon which nicely sets out my chip times (net time) as well as the clock time (gross time) so happy again now with my 3.44 image