Amsterdam Marathon 2012

Comments

• Stray Runner wrote (see)
    this is the problem with trying to put thread names to faces!  Well done on your sub4.

No probs, I'll still take the compliment that I looked great...even though my calves were killing me!!  your team GB singlet was the give away to me seeing you. Better luck next time for you, eh.

• Sal - that's awesome. Well done.

H and Emmy H - it must have been one of you I saw. I did see someone from the forum in the end - cool image

Red hair myself. We should maybe start a club - The Ginger Ninjas Marathon Club. Got a ring to it.

• Thanks for the advice mxb16. Will try that in training, ready for next time image
  • Still stuck in Amsterdam. I enjoyed the race, but I'd reeeeeeeally like to go home now please. image
  • More plane cancellations SP?

• Good luck Squirrellypoo. I finally made it home at 0130 this morning, having been booked on the 1130 flight. It is a complete bummer, I agree. On the bright side, with all the traipsing around the airport (I went through security three times, as well as endless queuing), my legs aren't stiff at all today image .
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    H. wrote (see)
    Weedy, could have been me. Could also have been Emmy. Don't you think there's a disproportionate number of red headed girls who race? This is the kind of thing that keeps me occupied during a run...

Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Sal - that's awesome. Well done.

H and Emmy H - it must have been one of you I saw. I did see someone from the forum in the end - cool image

Red hair myself. We should maybe start a club - The Ginger Ninjas Marathon Club. Got a ring to it.

I was thinking the same thing, W.... I think us redheads are just a little crazier than the rest... image

Although, when my sister ran past me in the first 2 miles and said "I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want" I almost tripped her overimage She seems to think that with the red hair and GB vest; i'm ginger spice!

• Well done to everyone! Just got home, legs still a little sore. My friend and I managed to run 3.54, a new PB so we are over the moon! Did anyone see us? Two girls wearing matching bright pink tops. I thought it was a really good race, not too crowded and the support was quite good, although the canal part dragged on quite a bit. Glad I ran with my camelpak as have never been able to drink out of cups whilst running! Thinking about Barcelona next March... anyone done it?

• RR - Glad to hear you're back

Squirrellypoo - Hope you're not far behind

Probably feels more of an achievement for you both getting home than it did finishing on Sunday. Shame you don't get medals off the airlines when you land.

Bexie - well done, that's a great result. I loved the canal part, and seeing the elites going by over the other side of the river was pretty awesome. Shame I missed going right by them during the two street sections that were doubled up, but I guess you'd have to be doing about 2 hours 45 pace or even quicker for that to happen.

Emmy Spice - I never thought I'd see the day when I join a running club. First club session's not going to be for a few days or so for me tho - woke up this morning and my right foot was excruciating. No idea what's happened as it didn't feel bad yesterday, but I couldn't even wiggle it into my slippers when I got up, although it's eased up a bit since. If I didn't know better I'd swear somene broke into my house overnight and spent an hour hitting it with a hammer while I was asleep.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Weedy - I had to laugh when she said it - I was never expecting that! You're forgetting that this is not just any running club - it's quite an elite selection. We're a dying breed - you knowimage

I always find that the aches and pains for me are worse on the second day after a marathon than the day after. Maybe ice it and see how it goes? I did a gentle recovery run this morning and despite my legs hating me for it initially - I do feel a lot better now!

• Well done all u marathon runners. Does any one know best cure for shin splints. I'm in agony was hardest run I've done cause of injury and am concerned might have done further damage. I've take anti inflammatory pills at moment, hoping that I can walk soon.

Managed to get round in 4hr 2 min, should have done a 3hr 40 run but had to slow right down second half just to get round. Don't know how I did it but paying for it now.

Any suggestions will b well received.
  • Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

ha ha - I'm another red headed runner - there definitely seems to be a large proportion of them!

First marathon for me - I was very slow 4 hours 50 but thrilled anyway. image

Had worked 19 days non-stop just before and then spent 3 days in bed with a cold so wasn't expecting anything amazing. Incredibly sore today but am crazily thinking about doing another - anyone recommend Dublin or Paris?

Course was good - I didn't mind the bit out and back along the river but really didn't like the tour of Amsterdam's Industrial Estates image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

LondonLiv - I was 5 mins behind you image Come to the Paris thread - they're a lovely bunchimage

You can already sign up for Paris so that's a bigger incentive... .and it's Paris!

I think we need to create some vests with union jacks on them saying: Ginger Ninja marathon club!

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

Well done all!

Four of us went over to run, one for the full and three (including me) for the half marathon). 

Went down to the stadium in the morning to support our man in the marathon and thought it was chuffin' freezing down there ; I really should know better than to base clothing choice just on a weather forecast by now!.  I was very glad to get back to the appartment we had out at Plein '40-'45 for tea and toast.  I've only ever run events in the morning, so did learn that an afternoon starts needs a change of eating plans.  I was starving by the time we got to 10k.

The Expo did look packed on Sunday morning, so we avoided it bar the bag drop for the half.

I'm not a fan of cups at the drink stations either, but with running with my better half, I could zoom off, stop to fill her water bottle up and have a glug myself, then catch up.

• Emmy_H wrote (see)

LondonLiv - I was 5 mins behind you image Come to the Paris thread - they're a lovely bunchimage

You can already sign up for Paris so that's a bigger incentive... .and it's Paris!

I think we need to create some vests with union jacks on them saying: Ginger Ninja marathon club!

hmmm....very tempting! Got half way through signing up this morning and saw that it was 95 euros so may need to have a think although the thought of vests with Ginger Ninja marathon club is a good incentive image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

95EUR?! Jesus the price has gone up a lot in the past week....

I agree - the marathon vest is a great incentive. I'll get one printed up so you can all marvel in the gingernessimage

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Londonliv - Paris is a fantastic marathon...even worth 95 euros!

Well done on conquering Amsterdam!

• Stephen - sorry, can't help with shin splints. Touch wood, it's not something i've had to deal with.

Londonliv - welcome to the Ginger Ninja Marathon Club! Going to have to start a thread at this rate. 4.50's a great time for your first marathon, especially considering your build-up - sounds like you enjoyed the day anyway, and that's the most important thing. I'd thoroughly recommend Paris. Head over to the Paris thread and say hello. There was a mix-up with entry registrations so some people have two places. Not sure what the rules are on transferring places for Paris, but if you ask, someone might give you their duplicate place for 60 or 85 euros. You'll have to be quick tho as the organisers are busy sorting out refunds for people.

Emmy Spice - Vests a tip-top idea, put me down for one if you're ordering in bulk and I'll take it to Paris with me. Off to physio in a bit, so I'll see what he says, but foot's stacks better than it was this morning. Bit worried as I've signed up for a two-dayer in June and I'll be crippled unless I can work out what's caused it. Got some new orthotics a couple of months ago, so they're possibly to blame.

• Thanks Sverf erg. I'm not really a bikini kind of guy tho

And no, I haven't been mis-sold PPI

And yes, I have loft insulation

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all, Just had a look at my pics from Amsterdam and I'm actually smiling in one of them!

/members/images/334358/Gallery/amsterdam_marathon_19.jpg

@H - where did you get your GB vest from?
    @Weedy - fingers crossed for the physio. What two-dayer are you doing in June? I'm doing the Winter Enigma in January - my first two dayer.

• Nice!  Will have a look at piccies now.  My vest was from Foska?  online.

Sounds like you've all got some good races planned.  I qualified for Comrades sunday so that's my biggie.  Need a race plan to get me there though...

• Emmy Spice - First for me too. Hadrian's Wall - Carlisle to Newcastle. There was the option of doing it as a one-dayer, but I've bottled out. If it goes well and I enjoy it, I'll put in for Comrades 2014. Where's the Winter Enigma and how far?

...heading off to check out my Amsterdam pics. I dread to think what I looked like at the finish.

• Dammit H, we're going to have to change the club's name to the Ginger Ninja Ultras Club. You see the video of the finish at this year's event where the girl fell over 50 metres from the finish with about 25 seconds to go? If you didn't, I'll keep you in suspense whether she made it until I can find it and post the link

• Weedy - ooh thanks - will head over to the Paris thread and ask. Definitely still thinking about signing up though...

going to head off to check out my Amsterdam pics - don't think I have any photos of me at the end as I was crying slightly hysterically (tears of joy, I swear!!) so think any photos will prob be me accidentally photo-bombing someone else's perfectly nice photo!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@H - we got the same top... you're right. It was Fosca.

@Weedy - Winter Enigma is 5-6 January and its 2 marathons in 2 days. Enigma is the home of the Quadzilla - 4 marathons in 4 days. I looked at the Hadrian's wall ultra annd was really interested in it but it's up north....

• Great to read everyone's stories. Amsterdam was my first marathon and I loved it. What an experience! The support was fantastic, people shouting my name towards the end when I really needed it. I finished in 4:22 and apart from hitting a pavement at about 20 miles (rather than any "walls"!) I composed myself and kept going.

Well done everyone!!
  • Does anyone know if the Amsterdam t shirts are available to order, junior is after one??
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Kaz - What sort of Amsterdam T-shirt are you looking for? The marathon one? or? If you email the organisers they might have the kids one still available (it was still there sunday morning).

Alternatively if you want the marathon one - I could be persuaded for a beer to give her mineimage

• Yes Emmy she wants the marathon one, I'll email them. I'm not going to deprive you of yours!!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    To be honest it's just another t shirt! I bought a long sleeved one from amsterdam which I like more than the free one. It's a medium though... She's welcome to it if she wants it