Options

Amsterdam Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

Funnily enough, I seem to have (somehow) put it on you tube too! Marathon music

• Options

Conquest of Paradise - Vangelis

We got there!!!!

• Options

Excellent work there Monk, no thanks to my misdirection

• Options

I definitely had an issue with the cups like others, and I like the fact that Paris gives out 33cl bottles image

Despite the pain of Sunday, I'm strangely tempted to right a few wrongs in Paris though the thought of having to prove a time to get into the 3.15 pen is putting me off. I don't want to have to fight through crowds, and I thought Amsterdam was lovely and spacious bar the first corner.

Does anyone whose registered (or has done before) know if my 3.28 from Amsterdam will be ok if I put a target of 3.15 (I think I can do 3.20 if I take measures to stop cramping) or is this a question for the Paris thread....?

Thanks in advance!!

• Options

James- you will be ok just to put a target of 3.15(whatever colour that corresponds with) on your registration. 

• Options
    Glad we got that one sorted. I wonder if Vangelis is a runner? He certainly knows how to write some stirring stuff!
  • Options
    The Monk wrote (see)

Conquest of Paradise - Vangelis

We got there!!!!

Yes! That's it - it's really been bugging me image

One other thing I really liked in the Amsterdam marathon was the App so people could track you on the course. Not sure if other marathon's also do it but it worked really well - my OH downloaded it and was able to track me on the course and figure out when he needed to get out of bed to cheer me over the finish line.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thank you to everyone who answered with the song! It's been in my head since Sunday.

Now i'll listen to it in preparation for the registration for the Berlin marathon...

• Options

Paris has a similar free app. No idea what it's like in terms of ease of use/reliability tho

Good luck for Berlin registration Emmy. If it's anything like the Paris scramble last Wednesday it'll be an interesting few hours. German efficiency being what it is tho, you'll hopefully have a smoother time.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@weedy - you wont believe it... under 2 mins - in and out and no hassle. Instant email and confirmation. I've still got the paris grim under my nails so have taken a screenshot to prove i'm in the first band but I doubt i'll need it.

Less than 4 minutes later and they're already up to 90EUR

• Options

Brill. Saw Jimbob and Kaz over the Paris thread raving about how efficient it was.

• Options

Paris app is as inefficient as its registration.........Last year I was still running at 9pm!!!

• Options

Kaz - you've gotta love the French. Imagine what the Olympics would have been like if they'd got the bid instead of London. How's you feeling today?

• Options

Weedy -  Not so good thanx. Overthinking things isn't helping, I think.image

• Options

I know it's alien to you, but take it easy Kaz. And stop thinking - it's bad for you.

I was humming and haying over Berlin for an Autumn Marathon, but now I don't have to have to as it's sold out! So I think I'll run my local marathon for the the first time - The Moray Marathon in September. It's a lovely course, I can walk to the start/finish in 5 minutes, no airports to contend with, and it'll save me a fortune. Also, I don't have that may running years left in the old legs, and I have already run Berlin. So many others out there waiting to part me from my hard earned dosh.

Spring? Still swithering over Paris. Or Edinburgh, Or Venice. Or Dublin. Or have a rest? Decisions, decisions.

• Options

And a lasting memory from Amsterdam will be having a pee in one of those open air trough thingys, in front of the packed stand in the Olympic Stadium. Bizarre!

• Options
    Been so busy to post the last couple of days. Anyhow, hope everyone had an awesome time in the 'Dam, managed to knock 17 minutes off my previous best to finish in 3:51, agree like other posters that it all went pear shaped during the last 10k. Ran the first half in 1:45 but cramped up ba after that. Doh. Ah well, bring on Paris. image
  • Options

In case anyone's not got today's newsletter or deleted it...

Amsterdam's on October 20 next year. Entries open November 12

• Options

Cymraeg Ace - 17 minutes is awesome going.

Simon - Agree on the loos situation. Didn't realise going to the toilet was a spectator sport in Amsterdam. Was half expecting the crowd to give a big cheer when I'd finished. I've signed up for Paris and Edinburgh. I reckon there's a decent enough gap between them.

Kaz - hang in there.

• Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Simon MacD wrote (see)

And a lasting memory from Amsterdam will be having a pee in one of those open air trough thingys, in front of the packed stand in the Olympic Stadium. Bizarre!

You think that was bizarre ? You should have experienced the mens` showers in the Sporthallen Zuid.

There was a large changing area adjacent to an open plan shower area - no cubicles just nozzles on the wall. So, having shed your clothes you cross 5-6 feet from the changing area to the showers.

All very nice, you`re thinking. But - the organisers had thoughtfully installed a ladies` loo in the changing area. There was a large queue of women standing in the changing area (and right out into the corridor), waiting to get into  the (single) loo. It was therefore necessary to strip off in front of the lot of them, thread your way through the crowd and then shower under their admittedly disinterested eyes.

Funnily enough, after the initial British embarassment, you kind of forgot they were there !

• Options
    If you think going for a pee in the stadium is something.... wait for Berlin and women squatting in the middle of the street. I also particularly enjoyed the mass nakedness after the race. I don't mind an errant nipple or someone just getting changed, but it's very 'in your face'. I've lived on mainland europe for over 5 years now you think I'd be used to it. I'm still far too Britishimage
  • Options
    You're so right Beetle. I did the Rotterdam to Paris run last year, and there was one opportunity in 48 hours to go for a shower in a sports hall. Little did i realise this meant mass nakedness of all genders in one room. I initially thought i'd wondered into the wrong changing room. When i went back out to reception to ask, she just laughed at me. I don't think i'm that prudish, but i didn't need dangly bits forceably thrust in my face. It's been explained to me that they do deliberately 'put it out there' so to speak as it's all about full social acceptance. Still... I've seen way more of some people than i'd ever want or need to. It's never Jonny Depp with his meat and two veg out either is it!!?
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@H - Where are you living? I'm in Belgium but used to be in Germany and after some initial wearyness - being nude doesnt bother me anymore!

• Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    H. wrote (see)
    It's never Jonny Depp with his meat and two veg out either is it!!?

Not in my case I`m afraid !

• Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

I did N.Y. a few years ago. At the start we men were all peeing merrily away into the bushe - no one seemed to mind. When women started to do the same - assorted marshalls and police officers got quite unpleasant and started trying to stop them. Pretty unfair I thought. At least there was none of that in Holland.

• Options
    H. wrote (see)
    If you think going for a pee in the stadium is something.... wait for Berlin and women squatting in the middle of the street.

Sounds like Newcastle on a Saturday night. Last year I did the Rhode Island half marathon (fab course and event if you ever get the chance to do it - free pizza, bagels, beer and pizza at the end, none of this half a banana and a cup of water nonsense). Course goes along a place locals call Millionaire's Row, dozens of houses you only dream of living in. All the men were jumping over their fences into their gardens for wees.

• Options
    Emmy...I'm in Amsterdam. I used to live in the US however and I know Rhode Island quite well. The half sounds amazing!!
  • Options

Was awesome. I was touring New England and co-incidentally happened to be there the day it was taking place. Was on Newport island, with a marathon at the same time, and hugged the coast for most of it. Started with about 2,000 Americans singing their national anthem, and one Brit going "oh say can you see, la la, la la, I don't know the rest". Spent more time stuffing my face at the buffet at the finish than I did on the course image

• Options
    Talking of food, since Sunday I haven't stopped eating.

Hungry, hungry, hungry, all the time.