Options

Developing eating issues

Over the last three years I have gone from around 8st 10lb to a low of 7st 5lb earlier this year and am now around 7st 8lb (5ft 8in). The weight loss was probably a combination of stress (writing up a PhD, family death and work stress) and starting to run up to half marathon and joining a club. Earlier in the year when at my lowest I developed a stress fracture which spurred me to see a dietician to gain weight; I was definitely eating at least 2000kcal a day but am not drawn to sweet stuff or carbohydrates. After a few months of 2500-2750kcal I got to about 7st 9/10lb and improved 10k time by over 5 mins when I was hit by a hamstring tear and now bursitis which has stopped or limited my running for nearly 4 months. When I was trying to gain I kept a note of my kcal intake to make sure I was reaching the goal but have continued to monitor calories on a daily basis. When I have a bad workout (been hitting gym and pool every day instead of running) I feel like I should punish myself by reducing food intake. Is this a sign of developing eating problems? Or is it just my way of motivating myself to try harder?

Comments

• Options
    aimingforfaster wrote (see)
     When I have a bad workout (been hitting gym and pool every day instead of running) I feel like I should punish myself by reducing food intake. Is this a sign of developing eating problems? Or is it just my way of motivating myself to try harder?
    Read what you just wrote again. The answer is obvious, isn't it?
  • Options

What Kryten says.

There is no such thing as a "bad workout"  - only exercising or not. And  too much is as bad in its own way as none at all. Your body needs proper nutrition and time to recover otherwise it gets injured, ill or both.  

• Options

106lb at 5'8" gives you a BMI of a smidgeon over 16 which is quite considerably under your ideal weight for your height.

That in itself, if your whole family were very slim and you had always been very slim, would not be the end of the world... but like Kryten pointed out, some of your language used is a bit of a giveaway that your relationship with food and training isn't healthy.

See a professional.

• Options
    As someone who has battled anorexia for years (and has thankfully won the war), please do speak to a professional. Your stats do sound very slim to me (I'm 5ft9 myself), and whilst that could just be your genes, I think you need to be careful. As others have said, the language your using is a bit worrying.
    An ED, of any sort and severity, is the worst thing in the world. Please please don't go down that path!
    I hope you're ok.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

As the others have said,it's worth seeing someone now rather than leaving things to get worse.

One (very) positive thing is that you are recognising something isn't right and questioning it, rather than being defensive and denying there's a problem, even to yourself.  That is when things can get very bad and are very difficult to address.

• Options

Thank you for the responses. I have decided that something needs to change and have not recorded my calories over the weekend and plan to delete all the related calorie count record spreadsheets tonight. I know I won't suddenly put on loads of weight as actually just love natural, healthy food (hate sweet stuff) so need to just eat what I feel like eating, and what my body asks for. I need to dampen the obsessive part of my personality; in certain aspects of my life it is beneficial (highly driven and focused at work) but it seems to have become unhealthy in my approach to nutrition and training.

Hopefully I can learn to enjoy my life again and get back from injury to healthy and happy running!

• Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    With a BMI of around 16, irrational thoughts surrounding calories and exercise, and ?amenorrhoea (I would assume so, if female with that BMI) then you already essentially meet the diagnostic criteria for anorexia nervosa...
  • Options

Hi AFH,

I think the ambitions of yr second post are really admirable and I wish you well. Just remember there is no shame in asking for professional help if 'eating what you feel like eating' doesn't quite sort it or you find yrself driven against yr conscious will into self damaging / punishing behaviour, or you want to explore yr behaviour and emotional responses more. Beware of setting unrealistically high goals for yrself in beating an ED - you may well have lapses. Get yr GP to refer you or try the b-eat website or other such organisations.

Good luck and  I think you're really brave facing this head on before it does you more harm.

• Options
    Hi, although your second post is more positive it doesn't say anything about seeking professional help. Having gone through both anorexia and obsessive exercise I promise you it is so SO important to have somebody to talk to (both dietitian and psychiatric) as it is a combination of these professionals which will work through your eating and try and clarify underlying issues that cause you to have and need a sense of control with your eating and exercise. Like everyone so far has said, you are underweight and if it keeps going you won't be able to run at all, and if you enjoy running for the right reasons as well as the control I know you would not wish for this to happen. Feel proud of yourself for recognising the problem, I know it is tough and it might take a while but you will be stronger and fitter and healthier (mind and body). Good luck and just remember, you had the strength to control yourself in a bad way so you have the strength to get yourself out.
  • Options
    I have been to my doctor concerning amenorrhea (didn't have period for two years until went back on pill around a year ago) and concerns about my bones after stress fracture. He did some blood tests and referred me for a DEXA scan but didn't enquire into an emotional issues. I don't really want anyone to know that I am having difficulties or worry anyone so would rather try and sort it out myself. It is just difficult when things get a bit stressful, at the moment my company is in financial difficulty and just got rejection from a job interview, I feel worthless and appetite goes and want to do something I have control of like exercise. I think I just need to get some perspective, realise I have easy compared to most people, and sort myself out.
  • Options

Hun listen to yourself...

You're undereating, overexercising, lost you period and start having bone health issues but you don't want to worry anyone???

Get help, please.  Here is a link with access to a range of helplines, online forums and a geographical 'help finder' to see what's available in your area.

http://www.b-eat.co.uk/get-help/get-support/ 

• Options
    You don't have to talk to family and friends about it if you don't want to or don't want to worry them. Your problem is serious enough to be causing concerning health issues so don't think you just need to get a grip and do it by yourself. Seeking professional help from a therapist isn't weak or not worth the bother, you need emotional support and help because that's where it all starts. I was skeptical about any help and went into a therapist thinking I'd just ignore them I'm fine by myself but it was amazing the work she did. I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with work, it's unfortunate and doesn't help your already fragile situation. Ignore the gremlin on your shoulder, pick yourself up after the job app attempt and help yourself. At the end of the day if you're not physically and mentally healthy you will end up not being able to work and hospitalised. Please see someone professional to talk to.
  • Options
    Although I may sometimes not eat as much as I need for the level of exercise I do it is more than most people I know. When I was trying to gain I felt very greedy as many of my friends and colleagues, including some who are overweight, would eat substantially less when we were out at a restaurant or at dinner party. Even on days I have restricted when I have felt down I still would have at least 1600kcal which is far more than people with real eating problems, and most of the diets you see on TV or magazines. I seem to have an ongoing battle between wanting to eat more (like the 2750kcal a day I managed to gain a few pounds on) as know it makes me stronger and not wanting to reach this target as some kind of punishment for not achieving what I feel I should be. Everything seems to be about weight loss so it seems an anomaly to be trying to gain!
  • Options
    aimingforfaster, It can be very easy, for those of us who are naturally quite slim, to end up losing too much weight when under stress, just because e.g. we don't feel like eating when stressed, or because we're working long, physical hours and are too tired to eat. Been there done that - without any kind of eating disorder. But you're talking about punishing youself "for not achieving what I feel I should be". You don't deserve that punishment. Think of it this way for a moment: if this was a friend of yours, would you be punishing her/him for not achieving - or comforting your friend and encouraging her/him to eat more so as to have the strength to cope with the present problems? Give yourself a mental hug. Remind yourself that your body is your friend and needs to be looked after and fed well. Get in nice, healthy foods that you really like, and eat them (and even some not-so-healthy ones, if you like them). Make sure you always have snacks available - bananas, flapjacks, carrot cake, chocolate cake, really nice cheese - whatever. Remember, dark chocolate is good for you!
  • Options

As everyone else has said Aimingforfaster - you really sound like you need some form of professional help. As someone who has an ED (anorexia), and only in partial recovery I can see many similarities with my own illness. The guilt; fear. self punishment etc are all signs/personality traits of an eating disorder/disordered eating, compounded by physical changes as well.

Please find some help asap and remember that your body is like a car - it needs petrol to run and you need food to run (literally!). You do deserve to eat and be well and not harm yourself through poor diet and overexercise. Eat the foods you feel safe with - just a little extra perhaps? But not too much to get you totally overanxious and stressed straight away!

You have been very brave and strong to have put this post up, so well done a great first step - now do a bit more like everyone has suggested and find some help either through perhaps a local B-eat support group or perhaps your GP as a starting point.

Good luck and take careimage

PS I wonder if RW could have a special section or someone who deals with ED's - I feels there's a lot of us around even if it's not acknowledged???

• Options
    I got my DEXA results back and they show osteopenia in my spine with LV2 as osteoporotic but no treatment is advised (it is still above level for treatment). A doctor at my surgery just told me to keep up with running and calcium intake and I would be re-scanned in five years; she didn't seem overly concerned (it was a telephone consultation) so presume I shouldn't be. Has anyone else had similar results?
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    You are amenorrhoeic and already have osteopenia....
    what do you want us to say?
    Carry on - it'll be fine?
    In 15 years when you sneeze and get a crush fracture of your spine you may regret not doing what you know is instinctively right, but it's your choice and your body.
  • Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

In my opinion there are serious issues around the treatment of osteopenia. You're 'above the level for treatment' which basically means that you've got a problem but it's not yet so severe that they'll fund treatment for it. It doesn't mean you shouldn't be concerned. The fact of the matter is that there is limited funding, so they reserve treatment for people who would potentially not have deteriorated so far if treatment had been started sooner. So what I'm trying to say is, you should be concerned.

You only have one body and you have to respect it. It you want it to perform and function, then you need to give it the fuel, activity, rest and relaxation it needs. Punishing yourself with exercise and restricting food isn't something that can be undone easily so please, please get yourself some treatment, advice and support to deal with any problems you may be having. It's tough work - particularly recognising the problem is there in the first place - but it's a far better option than struggling with problems every day and coping with the long term consequences.

How certain are you that you're eating the calories you say you are? People who are overweight typically underestimate their intake, and the opposite is true for people with eating disorders. Add in to that the amount of activity you're doing and it's possible that even ~2500kcal may not be sufficient. Slow weight gain that was easily lost indicates that it isn't. And where are the calories coming from? Are you getting enough protein? As a nutrient it is particularly important for growth and repair.

This is a topic I could go on and on about, but it wouldn't be appropriate as I don't know your full situation. I'd just implore you to seek help from professionals and to confide in friends and family - I'm sure they'd want to know and to support you.

• Options
    I don't think I am underestimating my calorie intake as use values from packaging or from web sources. I am also pretty sure I get enough protein as in every meal; for example porridge made with milk and topped with nuts for breakfast, boiled egg & rice salad at lunch, then salmon fillet and roast veg for tea. I also eat three snacks a day and plenty milk and yoghurt. Where I think I eat less calories than others is that I don't eat cakes, biscuits, chocolates or sweets and don't drink much alcohol. Living on my own also means I generally eat on my own which is obviously less enjoyable than eating with others.
  • Options

From what you've said I'm really concerned for you. You are clearly in physical trouble already with this - don't be reassured by treatment thresholds for osteopenia - spinal osteopenia is serious and if your nutrition is poor can progress rapidly to crush fractures, which could potentially halt your running permanantly. At the BMI you are you are in the clinical range where all your body systems will be taking a hit; immune function, fertility, and your thinking (especially about food) will also be compromised.

When you said: "Even on days I have restricted when I have felt down I still would have at least 1600kcal which is far more than people with real eating problems", I was even more worried for you. What is a 'real' eating problem? When someone is hospitalised? When they go into organ failure? I know people in both those situations who have still had an intake not far from yours and protested there was no eating problem, that it was others who had serious problems not them. When your weight is as low as yours is and you are on a negative plane of nutrition the kind of justifications you are using are really common. Comparing yuour intake to others so closely is in itself concerning.

Please get some help if you can. It's incredibly difficult to do this on your own. As someone else suggested try to keep targets small and acheivable for getting yourself back to a healthier place though. It's easy when things are so difficult to get stuck in a sort of 'all or nothing' pattern of thinking, which, when you inevitably have setbacks, can be self-defeating.

Without wanting to sound patronising, well done for talking about this though, it takes a particular kind of courage to be open about stuff like this, and to question your own behaviour. Good luck.

• Options

Hi aimingforfaster

just looking at your meal day I would say 2 things, put some more protein into your lunch chicken maybe or some other meat and yes have the boiled egg as well. You need carbs in your tea salmon fillet and roasted veggies is really good but please some carbs jacket potato, pasta, bread, etc to go with it and maybe a sauce of some kind tomato or cream based.

Make your meals all of them an event to be enjoyed, play your favourite music, read your favourite book, look at your favourite photos etc.

Please stop looking at the calories, rip the labels off, delete the spreadsheets. Then think I need protein, carbs, fats, minerals, vitamins and dairy in EVERY MEAL. Food is not just for fuel it is their to be enjoyed.

You have a bad work out so what it's the bad work outs that make the good ones feel so good. You run for 1 hour and cover x miles and punish yourself because it was a bad, poor rubbish workout by not eating enough that is only going to produce yet more bad, poor rubbish workouts it's a vicious cycle that IS doing you REAL HARM.

If you don't want to seek professional help that's up to you but maybe maybe try something everyday put on this thread what you eat everyday and how much you've exercised whether you think your training is good/bad/indifferent, see the responses you'll be faster than some and slower than some.

AND stop weighing yourself, once a month is enough.

Good luck

• Options

I am now at home for Christmas and have realised my anxiety levels are rising as 1. I do not have work to think about and 2. I am not in control of my cooking and therefore calorie intake. With a family birthday there was cava mid afternoon and a many coursed meal and all I am thinking is how many calories will be in it.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with these feelings and overcome them so I can just enjoy the festive season like everyone else?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

aimingforfaster - I can only reiterate what everyone else has said. Get some help - i know that it's easier said than done but there are a great bunch of people on here that are very caring and supportive.

Regarding your feelings - what about getting a notepad and jotting them down also with some more information with a food diary so that a doctor can also support and analyse. E.g.

2pm -
    *Prawn Cocktail 200g with bread
    *Tomato soup (100ml)
    *4 slices Turkey with 30g carrots, 30g potatoes, 30g broccoli
    Feeling uneasy as everyone will look at me eating. Finished everything but felt fat afterwards
    Run: 4pm - 10k hard. Felt much better afterwards etc.

Do this for a few days and read it back to yourself and even take this to a doctor to show them your eating habits over a few days. A friend of mine was forced to the doctors last year with something similar to you and they made her do this for a week, not only to show her how little she was eating (in relation to the amount of exercise) but to also remind her of her feelings and to pinpoint any anxiety.

Take care x

• Options
    Wonderful advice Emmy!

Remember the mental and emotional are at bottom also physical, if this way of looking at it helps.

For example if someone has a lot of coffee it's normal to get jittery and anxious, and swings in hormone or blood sugar levels are known to cause mood swings.

The trouble is our brains are "us", our thoughts and moods.
    So if we have trouble with our running, we often have no trouble going to a physio and doing the exercises they recommend.

But it's a different matter if our brain is playing up! It is so difficult to go and say, "my brain tells me I'm a bad person and I eat too much which is clearly not true" rather than "my leg is buggered".
    Yet it is a physical organ like all the others and so easily affected by what we do and how we live.

I have noticed myself that just a few days off running, or with not enough sleep, or not eating right, and I find my thoughts turning, of their own volition, to dark, angry, brooding topics, for no reason at all! None!

Good luck and I think you're right to take it seriously, I do hope you can get some changes made step by step very soon.
  • Options

An update - I have been referred to an endocrinologist by my GP to discuss my bone density results on 8th February.

I have also done well in maintaining a good intake and not losing weight despite a very stressful January having taken redundancy. I am determined that the stress will not impact my health any further than it has already in the past. My only worry is that I will have to reduce my food expenditure if I am unable to find a job soon.

• Options

Really glad thing's seem to be moving in a positive direction for you and hope you find a job soon.

Best of luck

James

• Options

Hi aff

I have been awol for a while, but just logged on to see your post. Great to see you're still working through your issues. When you see yr GP would you consider asking for a referral to someone to discuss yr attitude to food - if you find it hard to explain the complexity you could just print off these pages and let her/him read for themselves... Being out if work can be really stressful and you could use some of the time you  have on counselling?  

Good luck with the job hunting

• Options
    Bloody hell.  To use the thread of someone seeking advice around eating disorder as an opportunity to spam is quite something.
  • Options
    I  have tried something that finally works and has done for a few years now, my fitness, endurance and lots more....  I have added more sport to my portfolio, my injury levels are down and mentally I am in a good place...
  • Options
    were you anorexic when you started?