Reading Half Marathon 2012

2»

Comments

• Thanks Gladys1146 - going to have a gentle jog tonight and see how I get on! Fingers crossed!
  • Hi all - its a lovely race, nice and flat apart from two short hils that are no worries and a real PB course. Great aid stations and nice atmosphere. Check out the TdF kind of atmosphere around 8-9 miles (Libenrood Road) as you turn. Awesome.

The drummers at  The Oracle make you just run faster and faster! A friend of mine is drumming so please give them a wave and clap!

The Reading folk turn out for it and the finish is brilliant. Get there a bit early and cheer home the Green Park Challege runners and if that does not inspire you nothing will.

One request though - if you insist on running with music in your ears do not be surprised if you get shoved aside. Last year there were far too many runners who had put down completely unachievable times, running to music and making the first few KM a misery for others.

• I have a spare number for this one. Please message me if interested.
  • Managed a gentle 5k on Sunday with no sign of any knee trouble, will do 5 miles tonight and if its all ok 10k mid week then 12miles Sunday. Please be good knee!!!
  • Matt....Glad in a way im no the only one been struggling image

Did 8 mile yesterday with 2 4mile runs during the week (3 runs in all per week).  Will do 2 x 4.5 mile runs during the week and a 9 mile next sunday then just the one mid week run of 5 mile the week before (reading half).  I no i should of been banging the 12-16 mile LSR out but not been able to TBH.

Hope all goes well for every one

• Matt and Barney... make that 3 people struggling! I have a groin strain that seems to be getting worse image

This is the first half marathon and I am really looking forward to it, or should I say I was until this has happened - got to say reading this thread has given some of the excitment back!

I am up to 8.5miles and hoping to do 10miles on sunday (I am running the Plymouth Sport Relief 6mile on sunday and then run home to add the 4miles) but not quite sure if I am going push it and just rest up and pray to god I get around Reading next week!

Think I am gonna take it slow and gental (sorry if I am one of thoes in the wrong time pen but when I was fit and healthy I probably would have been fine!)

Good Luck everyone and if you see me being wheeled around then give me a wave!!! lol!

• Did it for the 1st time yesterday, training hasnt been great for it as i havnt done to many LSR but i thought hay hoy i'll give it a go.  12mile mark i was finished!!!  I thought to myself i will have a little walk for 2mins which i did and when i started again it was tough.....i rememberd why i never stop normally!!  And when i seen the 400m sign i swear some one must of moved it!!!!  It was more like 1200m than 400m! 

I have done 2xGNR (harder than this IMO), 2xLiverpool Halfs (easier than this IMO), 2xStoke Hanley 'Arfs' (harder than this IMO) and i did enjoy this but seen as i had to make a 4hr 30min train trip to and from it....I wont be doing it again.  Dont get me wrong its a great event and if it was say 60-90min away i would but its not so i wont be doing it again.....But i will be doing the GNR again this year and every year possible and thats 4hr 30min away too!!!!  But thats more of a experence IMO.

(thoughts go to friends and family of man that passed away shortley after crossing line, its heart breaking news)