Marathon of the North

2»

Comments

• Yes not exactly flat but enjoyable, I ran with my close friend who was carrying a fridge on his back so the pace was slow, I dont think the course would cope with great numbers as it was run through some parks on footpaths, some parts of Sunderland were like a ghost town, better supported through the nicer parts, did'nt like the part where you passed the start finish with still 7miles to go. This being my first maraton I enjoyed it and would do it again, water stations were  good, nice to see some jolly faces image and good support,  all runners were very encouraging to my crazy friendimage

• EG Graham - well done on doing both marathons!  On looking at the Sunderland results I could tell it was no way a flat course !! 

• Good work all and congrats on finishing!

Sii - a fridge...? What's the story?!
  • Thnaks Mish - it was a good course very enjoyable, didn't realise Sunderland was so nice particularly the sea front, but not Flat by any means. Dukeries Ultra next at the end of the month

• Did this yesterday.  Course was quite twisty and turny so not a fast course, but I know they wanted to stay in/near the city and get people involved.

I thought people watching, running and helping were fab.  I thought the event was really well organised and the Stadium of Light a great location from which to race.  All in all a good day, in fact good weekend as everyone we came across in Sunderland could not have been more helpful and friendly.  

I hope it continues. Well done Crammy!

• Agree with Mandy, really well organised for a first event, fantastic marshalls and drinks people, good support from the public, well done, my first marathon thoroughly enjoyed it, lot better organised than some bigger half marathons  that I've done.

• I did this, it was my first marathon. I saw the guy with the fridge, good effort. It was some size fridge too. After reading much of the advice in the advice to first time marathon runners thread, I think I got a bit excited and went off too quickly because the last 6 miles were torture (or is this normal?) I was maintaining about 8.55 per mile all the way then after mile 20 it was all I could do to just keep running and I ended up doing 4hr22. Still undecided if I'm going to run another full marathon but I have applied to London 2013.
  • I'm glad other people didn't think that was flat! My only suggestion is to run the route backwards - getting to 23 miles, cramping, and seeing that long climb in front was a bit of a heartbreaker, if that had been 5k in, no worries! (I suppose they can't do this, as it'd mess with the 10k?). I'd also try and lose that little up and down loop round the University (I think it was) at 20m.

But these are minor quibbles fro someone who dislike climbs! I reckon this was a fantastically well organised event, runner firendly, lots of closed streets, decent facilities, nice atmosphere and deserving of great success. Running by the sea and over the Bridge particularly inspiring.

After other inaugural marathons have had such problems this year, I feel very lucky to have entered one that was both lucky in weather and run like clockwork.

• Good reviews - think I'll go for this if I don't get into VLM. Don't like the sound of a 3 mile incline at the end but you can't have everything! I did Manchester also and am still recovering! image
  • Just wanted to say well done to the team organising this - everything was spot on apart from my time! will definitely be back as this is a great event. You could really tell it was organised by runners.

I really hope this event gets the support it deserves in the future as could be a much bigger "London alternative" like Brighton has become in the South.

• Have to agree with all of the above. A great, well organised event. Marshals and drink stations were 1st class too. Thought crowd support was a little sparse for a "city" marathon. Hopefully, it will go from strength to strength and put Sunderland on the map for marathon running.

• from Sunderland and did the marathon myself, as with the other comments about the crowds,  was disappointed with the turnout but hopefully it will get bigger every year, really good finish along the front but very hard after 22 miles to be hit with the incline on the sea front.  Run this part nearly every night and it does not get any easier even on short runs. Well done to Steve Cram and his team

• hate hills but strangely enough for me loved the sea front run, really enjoyable race throughout and will do it again, certain to get bigger

• Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    Good work all and congrats on finishing!

Sii - a fridge...? What's the story?!

He was running to raise money for St Oswalds Hospice in Newcastle, he did the great north run last year and decided to do the Marathon this year, he won't be doing a Marathon with a fridge again thoughimage, we done the first half in 2hr 10mins which was great but the last half was much slower, we finished in 5hr 10ish, it was a good day and he was overwelmed by the support from other runners and the public.

• Thought it was a really well organised run, if a little random with loops here and there and going back where you'd already been a couple of times. Fairly flatish with some hills ~ 900ft climbing and as others have said from 22 miles seemed up hill all the way. Good support from locals and lots of drink stations. Nice medal, tech t shirt and goody bag. My family managed to catch me at 5k, 10k, 13 miles, 16 and 19 before departing to watch the Newcastle game- so good for family supporters as race over a compact area. I will probably do it next year. Only gripe- garmin said it was longer than 26.2 miles- seemed to go wrong about mile 22 and be 1/4 mile out. Not what you need at that stage in a race- another chap I spoke to said the same thing. Not sure if anyone else thought this?
  • 5.10 with a fridge on his back v impressive. Wonder if the guy carrying a cross finished?
  • This was my first marathon and I'm glad people have said that it was a bit hilly cos I thought it was. I have to agree it was well organised and all the runners I met were really friendly. I'm gutted that I missed the fridge man. Emma, my Garmin recorded it as 26.43 miles, but I think they are always a bit out.
  • Great day, yes last few miles we're hard ! l also did'nt like passing near the finishing line when still had about 7 miles still to go - but the locals gave great support to all the runners and you could'nt beat the weather , garmin also read 26.44 . just like to thank everone for a great day well done Mr Cram