Help with bike size

Hi I'm a bit confused I've looked at bike sizing charts and for my height 6ft1 183cm with inside leg 85cm I thought I was a extra large/58-59 fram size but wiggle suggest a 57 frame?? I'm asking cause I've seen a good bike pinarello FP2 for a good price but they only have in 59 frame. Would that frame be to big for me? Help please image

Comments

• Now you *know* what the answer is going to be dont you    image
  • Er...... No image M...eldy I'm just looking for some advice I'm not a cyclist at all I want a new bike but don't live anywhere near a bike shop. I'm just asking cause thought someone might be similar to me and could help.
  • Checked out the geometry chart and the 57 has a 57.5 top tube which means they size relatively big. They are the same as my Look which is also a 57 (an XL) and runs a 57.5cm top tube - I'm half an inch taller than you and ride that with a 12 cm stem.

Depends on proportions and preference but I reckon most people your height would be on a 57.
  • As Popsider has implied... the top tube length is far more important than the seat tube length and different frames that are labelled as the same size may have different top tube lengths. To give you an example of how bizarre size labels can be, I ride a frame that is nominally 46cm. My better half rides a 52cm but her bike is smaller than mine.
  • I should have added... that's the reason why you should see the bike and ride it before buying. Does Wiggle still allow you to return bikes?
  • Thanks popsider looks like I'm out of luck then for that bike image

M.ister yes they do but not on bikes that are reduced by more than 15% which this is.
  • As said s,m l etc bike frames differ by manufacturer - and not just that but some are designed to have an aggressive stance so the angles of the seat stem vary a little - it is a must to ride it first or you may just waste your money. when i got mine  i tried 2 different models - essentially the same size, same manufacturer but one was more for relaxed riding the other more racey / aggressive  - it did make a bit of difference, quite a bit if you got a spare tyre ; )
  • Is your job a driver ST?
    Maybe you could google a bike shop in one of your drop off/pick up towns and check out some bikes for sizing.
    Where abouts are you? Maybe someone on here is local and could help with a bike loan for sizing.
  • Size of you ST you better go for a bloody big un......imageimage
  • Nicko. Hdau wrote (see)
    Maybe you could google a bike shop in one of your drop off/pick up towns and check out some bikes for sizing.

Bad idea.

I was working in York the other week, and I stopped at the Planet X showroom on the way home. Luckily I left the kids seats at home and I drive an estate......

• My road bike is a red one
  • that explains it then.
  • Course it does silly man image
  • I'm glad we cleared that up image
  • mines a black and red one... ner.   Hi Madlot how yer doin?

Cat..........and???????image

• Not to bad Razor, how's things with you?
  • Ok mate,,,,,bit of a problem with my hip and thigh but hopefully on the mend nowimage.....managed 30 miles on the bike last night with no ill effects........Hows business these days, mine's shit...image
  • It's picked up a bit but by no means is it great. Tomorrow will be my first day off in 5 weeks. Needs must at the mo.

Hope things pick up for you mate image
  • Razor51 wrote (see)

mines a black and red one... ner.   Hi Madlot how yer doin?

Cat..........and???????image

I came back with a black one! Obvioulsy not as fast as Nicko's or yours, cos it's not got much red on it!
    I got a Stealth image.

Madlot wrote (see)
    It's picked up a bit but by no means is it great. Tomorrow will be my first day off in 5 weeks.
  • You're all wrong, everyone knows that white (with a bit of black and red) ones are the fastest image
  • The man speaks words of wisdom image
  • or black and white wiv red on itimage

Nice one Cat....image

• Or all carbon black, and silver writing.
  • i know for certain black and white and a bit of blue is slow as sh1t    image