2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Nice one Jasonimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Jason,

Love the bling.

Stuart & Tek,

Thanks.  My arm is feeling more normal however I've had some of the other side effects which I didn't have last year.  At least I can have a lie in tomorrow as I've booked the day off because I knew it was going to be a working Saturday and it's also Chris' birthday so thought he could have a lie in as well.

• Nice medal Jason image

Evening blast on the mountain bike tonight, 11.9 miles, 1171 ft ascent in 1:03. A couple of cracking descents too image

Planning on getting back to the Sunday LSR this week, will be the first run over 10 miles since NFM.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Nice training jayc

Kaz hope you're resting, not sheeing the shights of Amshterdamsh

F - I tend to mess around with the P&D schedules too, but they fit together very logically...ditto re adding longer long runs

HM good luck for your 10k tomorrow (& happy birthday to Chrisimage)

---

10m at MP, reasonably relaxed. 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Thanks.  I'm feeling quite crap after the flu jab so I'm not sure about the 10k tomorrow. 

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    HM4- hope you're feeling better today....
  • 0.5 mile swim (OW) followed by 7.5 miles with a friend of similar pace, each pushing the other on.
    Bright and sunny after torrential rain last night

JCM - It took me a couple of weeks to get to back over 10 and enjoy it again post marathon

HM4 Hope you both enjoyed your lie in and that you'll be rejuvenated for tomorrow.

Go Kaz Go Orkney!

Teknik - nicely winding down.

• Jayc - Nice cycle

Tek - Good running

OH - Does OW stand for open water by any chance? You're a bit mad if it does! Nice run too

---------

Gym yesterday, 2miles on the treddy and some weights.

Parkrun today - Was hoping to run sub 22.00 but considering my lack of running recently (I've only ran over 10 miles once in 6 weeks!) wasn't too confident.  Somehow pulled a 21.20 out the hat, on a pretty dodgy course tooimage. Surprised my HR only topped out at 197 during it. Might try a proper test next week.

Hillwalking this afternoon, much better weather than last week! We could actually stop and eat our lunch at the top this time! 9 miles in 3h30, 2450ft elevation gain.

• SM6 Yes OW = Open Water
     ... and you're not the first to question my sanity on these forums. There's a group of us swim every Saturday morning throughout the year (admittedly during the darker colder days it becomes more of a dip than a swim)
    Orkney Polar Bears
    Envious of the summitsimage (but not of the gym and treddy!image)
    Well done on the Park Runimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

OH- Brrrr!image

Stuart- well done on Parkrunimage- and the hillwalk.

A few hills for me next weekimage and legs are starting to feel like they belong to me again. 6.38m easy tonight. 12-14 planned for tomorrow, then all easy before Saturday

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

OH,

I enjoyed the lie in and did feel a bit better from it.  However it was a mistake to walk into town (1.5 miles round trip) as it really wore me out so it's looking really doubtful about tomorrow.  It's strange as last year having a flu jab didn't affect me like this as it was only a sore arm I had.

Stuart,

Well done.

• Thanx everyone

It's been a long day, but in Amsterdam safe, and all sorted although tired and stiff. Kids knackered too so an early nite - I hope!
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

kaz- best of luck for today- weather's great here, hope it's the same with youimage

Having fun here with a calendar, plotting  my 12 week plan for VLM and picking out tune-up races along the wayimage

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

12.64m this morning, and that's me just about done until Frankfurt.  Pleasing run - nice easy sub70%max, which is now 9.09mmimage

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

...and also it was a welcome return this morning for my obliques, muscles I haven't seen since my twenties...image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Well done.

Jason,

It's always fun sorting out the next year's races & training.

• Good Luck Kaz,

Jason, love the photo and the medal.Enjoy the planning

Teknik, Nice one !! realy looking forward to your race report next weekend!!!

Stuart, congrats on an excellent PArkrun time. Well done !!

Enjoy the LSR JayC !!

Went to see Greg Davies on friday night. A good night of comedy !.  40 Miles for the week so none to shabby. A cut back this week I feel is in order and then push on through November !!!

• Tek - Nice running. Good luck next week!

AGF - Good running.

-------------

3 mile slow run to the gym, then some weights. Lower body stuff, so expect to be sore tomorrow.

I'll go out for a long run tomorrow, 10-12 miles I think.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Tek- nice running, musclesimage

AGF- nice mileageimage

The recovery continues here- left glute still a bit tight, but managed 12.01m in the sun this morning in a steady 1.24.06 splits: 7:22 7:28 7:15 7:09 7:07 7:05 7:06 6:45 6:47 6:45 6:40 6:35 2 Off to do some more stretches nowimage Hopeful that it will have loosened off by Saturday- ready for me to inflict untold damage from a severe hill bashing....imageimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Tek - are  you saying you stick to the lowest %'s for P&D? So for marathon pace you go for 79% max if they specify 79-88% ? I guess if you up miles significantly that would be sensible.

And what's your strategy going to be next weekend, have you decided yet ?

I've managed 41M this week and have come out of it feeling pretty fresh. Did struggle in mid week a bit as i couldn't drag my arse out of bed to run mornings and ended up doing 3 evenings. Evenings i definitely find physically harder which shows in my HR stats and probably mentally harder as well.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM hope you're over the jab now

AGF good weekimage

Stuart well done...hope the run goes well tomorrow

jason nice splits

mace - I stick to the low end for training (and I think the recovery % is a typo - I do sub70%max for those). For the race I'm hoping to stick to sub80% for the first half, hoping I won't drift above 90% until after mile 20, but the HR will be on page 2 so I won't look at it much. I'll definitely be ignoring it for the last 10k...still not made my mind up but I think I'm going off at 8.35 pace (but I've printed off 5 different pace straps already...)

• macemace ✭✭✭

Tek - don't want to tempt fate but i reckon 8:35 will be comfortable for you. Would love to be there at the finish line to buy you a beer image ... maybe if you do Brighton

Yes, i reckon you're tight and 76% must be a typo.

I've just "found" an extra mile, so i did 42 last week, not 41image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

...another good reason for doing Brighton thenimage

• macemace ✭✭✭

image of course i meant you're "right" not "tight" image 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

I'm fine.  I'm really glad I had a very lazy day today.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Done a bit of stalking on results, no idea if kaz had a target but image.

Great photo jason.image

A bit of a non starter for me this weekend, back hurt to breathe on Friday so rest Friday and Saturday. Did 6 miles today easy. Will get back to it next week. Achilles/heel felt fine when running but can feel it now, think it's just one of these things and not run related.

Nice build up AGF and mace, this was meant to be a 40 for me but ended up 28! Not to worry... got a whole 26 weeks (today!) imageimage

Good to get the cross trainng in Stuart.

Really on the countdown now Teknik!

Good to hear you're on the mend HM4.

F

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Fiona,

Sounds like a mixed weekend for you & thanks.