Options

2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• Options
    Thanx for the well dones but I had a real sh1t day.

By mile 6 the sweat was dripping Off me, even though my pace was spot on?? 8 miles I'm standing being sick,11 miles and I am parked at the side of the road on a chair waiting for the world to stop spinning. Got going again but I've never known such pain, at half way I was going to pull out then decided if I could walk to the end I would- I wasn't going home without my medal!!!

Anyway not the race or result I wanted but d&d. And given the day a result I am proud off!

Checked juniors result online, her first proper race since breaking her foot. 1k-3.22!! image her previous (before her accident) 800m PB was 3.16!!
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Kaz- sorry it didn't go to plan, but well done for soldiering on image big well done to mini kaz too image

Fiona- better give up the career as a stalker image
  • Options

Kaz, Sorry to hear about your sh1t Day. Well done on completing your marathon. Be proud !! image

Look after yourself Fiona !!

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Kaz so sorry to hear you had such a bad day!  You certainly deserve an award for battling on through it all.

Well done to junior, too!image

Take care F...

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done kaz, amazing that you finished with so many setbacks! And junior's time is proper fast!! imageimage 

jason image

Thanks guys - in the office but will have my usual Monday rest or turbo tonight then back to it tomorrow image

• Options

Mace - Good running

Fiona - Hope the back is ok, sounds similar to what I had a few weeks back. 

Kaz - Well done! Most wouldn't have dreamed of finishing having gone through that! I'd say that's certainly something to be proud ofimage Jr has some serious pace too!

------

10k, not the 10 miles I had hoped for today, done nice and slow. Taking my max HR from Saturday as being my actual max, I'm not sure I'll be able to run sub 70% any time soon, plodded round trying to keep it sub 75% which was just about do-able.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart - useful rule of thumb is to run at your 5k pace (in m/m) plus 3 mins, until your HR drops below 70% for that pace...it will take a whileimage, mind you...

• Options

A while? It's a 2 minute difference (give or take)!! Might be a bit more than 'a while'image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

stay away from the hills mate....image

• Options

6 miles in lovely conditions today (if a little over dressed - shorts and vest would have been plenty)

Kaz you're right to be proud of your achievement even if it wasn't much fun. image
    Many lesser mortals would have called it a day at 11 milesimage

Enjoying your taper Tek?

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    OH already suffering from phantom twinges, plus I'm back on the antibiotics...
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

I'm feeling much better after the flu jab.  Still feeling a bit tired however nowhere as bad as I was at the weekend.

• Options
    Aye been there done that, Tekimage

passes the cotton wool

Hope you perk up soon HM4
  • Options
    Evening all,

Had a lovely sunny day in Amsterdam. Lots of coffee, walking, sunbathing in Vondelpark, the best zoo I have ever been at... Could go with a few extra days.... Kidz don't want to return to uk tomorrow, but I haven't told them yet that we are not staying in Aberdeen until Thursday anymore but taking the boat home tomorrow night instead. The eldest, especially, won't be happy.
  • Options

6 miles in lovely conditions today (if a little over dressed - shorts and vest would have been plenty)

Kaz you're right to be proud of your achievement even if it wasn't much fun. image
    Many lesser mortals would have called it a day at 11 milesimage

Enjoying your taper Tek?

• Options

Sorry about accidental repostimage

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Kaz how are you feeling now?

• Options
    Tek - not too good, besides feeling tired I am absolutely washed out! Cutting our trip short so I can get home instead of another two days shopping and whatever else the girls had plamnedimage for two months now I have been generally feeling lousy and despite two courses of ant-biotics, for different things, I still feel awful so going back to doc this week and taking a few weeks out for a good rest???
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Poor you Kaz...get home and rest, you're right image
  • Options

Kaz - Sorry to hear about your race, nightmare. I think I'd probably have thrown in the towel... so well done for continuing! Jr is quick [more people for me to finish behind in future!

AGF/Mace - good mileage. I've got to start building up again now, but need to put more hills in as it's winter fell running season image

Fiona - hope the back is better now.

Jason - superb splits and a lovely progressive run. Snowdonia is this Saturday isn't it? Hope the weather improves for you.

Miserable, wet and dreary in S Wales today, so I cheered myself up with a 15 mile off road run over the local hills; 1,520ft ascent at a nice easy 9:04/mile avg pace.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Jayc- nice hillybrun. weather great in W Wales and forecast is looking best I've seen for Snowdonia. Got to go for a course best..... image

6.4m recovery run tonight, but soon turned into much quicker than normal for same effort!!!! imageimage
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Kaz- rest up and eat lots of carbs
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

kaz - bless, you sound like you've been through the mill image. Huge respect to you for gutsing the marathon, time for a well deserved rest it seems, take care.

jason - can't believe i missed your medal pic, nice one, you look so proud !! And good luck with the pb attempt at Snowdon image, forget the hills, you can do anything with a medal like that image

Attempted a 4-5M recovery run home from work last night ( as i've got a new rucksack image ) but ended up sacking it off after 3M as i was really struggling up hill with my left glute and upper left thigh.

Was a bit confused by that until i thought about Sunday's LSR in torrential rain and semi flood-like conditions ... and leaping puddles for the first 8 miles ( leading on my left leg all the time so as not to aggravate recent right achilles niggle ). Sod being a steeple chaser !!

• Options

Mace - be careful. Sometimes when we run we cause problems with one leg because we are protecting another leg ( eg your achilles ). basically a "compensation" injury. 

Lots of rest, ice and compression will sort the achilles...if you do run - run short and on soft terrain....

Sorry for teaching to suck eggs.

• Options

Great running Jayc...very good run for climbing

Kaz, take care of yourself

Over dressed OH? - I have visions of you running in your sunday finest image

tek - hope your feeling better for Sunday.

I am bumbling on with a few miles most days. Not much to report ( Which I guess is a good thing )

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

jayc - really impressive hill run

jason nice recovery, sounds like you're in shape for the week-end

mace be careful mate...as AGF says

AGF good bumblingimage

HM glad you're feeling better

Kaz hope you're home safe and sound

----

Got out for the first time in a couple of days. 3m recovery, went off a bit too fast. All the twinges were phantoms...

• Options
    Tek- homeward bound, only another 5 hours on the boat!! Can't get the sick face on my phone!!!

Junior got contact lenses fitted in Aberdeen today, so she is one very happy young lady- no more wearing glasses for her various sporting activities! But it also means a day trip to Aberdeen in a months time for her check up and another awful return boat journey!!
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Kaz,

Hope you feel better soon.

Jay,

Well done.

Tek,

Well done.

----------

No running from me for the next week or so.  I usually take a complete break at some point for a week or 2 so now appears as good a time as any and then will start back from the beginning.  I would have needed to do that anyway with how the past month had gone.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Jay- well cdone

Kaz- GWS

Tek- ignore the Taper Twingesimage

8.01m of confidence restoring running this evening. Easy pace run in the dark with a couple of miles at pMP (not Snod mp!) thrown in and it felt oh so smooooothimageimage 8.01 m in 55.21. Splits: 7:53 7:40 7:02 6:54 6:53 6:09 6:11 6:35 3

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

NP-????? Best of luck for Sunday!image Anyone else racing this weekend?