2012 Marathon thread

Comments

• MG1 and jason nice cross training.

Stuart, a nice early entry, great to have that in the diary.

Sounds like you had fun Spark.

More miles jason and NP! image

A very icy evening run for me with the run group so we headed off road and ran up to the mast, in the woods it was a quagmire and my poor road shoes will never be the same again - mud came thro' socks and shoes! image Running downhill in the dark dodging the ice was like being a kid again! image 6.65 miles with 280m of ascent, 230m in one mile.

F

• Spark enjoy your new toy and well done for getting out.

Fiona nice running just think how strong your legs are going to get with all that cross country running. It's also great to jump in the puddles feel the wind in your hair get muddy and feel like a child again, I think a lot of people would benifit from a great session like that.

Off to the pool now for my swim pity no slide or diving boards like in the pool when I was a childimage
  • Just wondering how you all manage hunger in the morning with running. Going back to work shortly and Wondering when and what to eat before an early run. Finding I can't run before 10 just now as by time I get up and eat then let it settle.
  • Jason/Np - soem seriously good running over the festive season. Great work. 

Spark. Like the new watch. In terms of eating I now have trainied myself to run in the morning on nothing ( or at most a few grapes or choc biscuit ). The first two miles are very slow but by mile three your body kicks in as normal  !!  I think those runs have helped my body learn to burn fat more efficiently ( probably wrong ). 

Fiona - nice to see that you have stuck with the running club. Sounds like your fears of being the slowest have not turned out correct and that you are having some fun doing some runs you may not normally do on your own?  Your nicely set for a good 2013 of running PB's image

A relaxed week for me. Only 21 miles so far and do not plan much over the weekend other than a couple of smaller jogs. Back to the 50+ miles next week and hope that this weeks "rest" will help in the long term.  Enjoyed an hours progressive run today. Love running with the dog - but today was just good on my own.

HM4 - Hi

Tek - hope the knee is OK?

• Spark, up coffee dressed and out have breakfast when you get back home image for Medium long runs have a banana and coffee. Yum yum......

AGF nice running without Lulu won't take you long to get back up to 50+ weeks.

I have a race tomorrow 10 miles off road this is done in pairs so will not be running at full speed as my mate is a little slower than me but not much image then another race on 1st Jan again off road but this will be done as fast as possible image and it will count as my weeks speed session.

54x25 m front crawl done this morning out later for an easy 6 miles.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

jason enjoy the medicine ball image

Fiona nice doubleimage

NP good running and great swim...enjoy tomorrow's raceimage

MG good gym session

Stuart well done for signing up for Nessie - like Jason says, it'll get you up and out running...

HM get that light fixed!image

Spark enjoy the new garmin. I normally get up and run before breakfast if I can...same logic as AGF

AGF good to have a cut-back week.  The knee is ok, but I'm still just building the slow miles (no subLT runs for a month or so, I'm reckoning).

---

3m recovery jog after a very painful massageimage.  No yoga until the New Yearimage

• NP- good running and swimming. Good luck with the race image

AGF- enjoy the rest while it lasts! image

Tek- glad the knee is ok, but glad you're being careful....

Spark- I often have toast and peanut butter or muesli before a long run. Shorter runs and it's just a glass of water. I'm lucky though cos I can run pretty much straight after eating image
  • 12.01 very wet and VERY windy miles done in 1.23.44 today (6.58 av) splits: 7:20 7:34 7:34 7:16 7:11 7:15 6:41 6:41 6:37 6:33 6:29 6:31 2

• Cheers lads, hopefully since I'll be up earlier hunger shouldn't be an issue, crawling out of bed after 9 is leaving me hungry in the mornings.

Very windy 6 miles steady done there, tried a different route that brings me back up a steady 2 mile climb on mile 3.4. Realised that I'm really not good with hills, gonna replace Saturday morning easy with some hill work on the furlongs hill in Hamilton. Anyone that's ran strathclyde park will know it. That way ill not have to do any speed work after long shifts at work mid week.

Distance: 6 miles. Ave pace: 7:51. Time: 47:07

Lap1: 7:33 Lap2: 7:33 Lap3 7:47 Lap4 8:07 Lap5 8:11 Lap6 7:55
  • No run today (working until 6pm) but nice faily walk in afternoon yesterday followed by 5.7 miles under the moon with Elspeth

• Good afternoon.. well its my morning really just slept off a night shift ready for another.
    I will squeeze a 5 mile RR later though.

NP good grief running VLM with a stress fracture ? and still getting sub 3, I too
    like to see how others approach their training..and I am open to new ideas as I seem to have reached a plateau and I guess as we get older we need to tweak things
    here and there, not relying in youth to get faster, also what seems to work for one doesnt work for another..I think for me personally high mileage is fine although my high mileage is no where near that of some of you  I seem to be able to tolerate 50-60 miles a week without getting injured
    Kaz respect to you for training at all with young children are you training now for a marathon ?
    Tec nice run well and truly off the bench
    Fiona thanks for the reply ..interesting to see how folk fit those 2nd runs in around work and other commitments, so does say 2 x 6 milers really have the same training effect as 1 x 12 miler ? 

Jason VERY nice 12 miler !! I guess when you are THAT fast you have time to run twice a day, impressive race times !!

• NN no the Stress fracture stopped me from running it this year could not run the length of my drive due to the pain. Hope you run went ok today.

Jason great running as always.

Spark well done on the 6 miles you put in.

OH  getting windy again here and it's heading your way.

Just over six miles for me tonight all very easy.image looking forward to the 10 miles off road tomorrow.

• NN I don't think it would have the same endurance effect but if it means getting the miles in with less risk of injury then it's a plus.

Another nice day's training there NP. Funny how on last night's run that's the first time I've felt really strong and in control going fast on the downhill! Good luck with tomorrow's race!

I found out on Xmas day that I can run up to 12m on empty but will have a snack most times before I go out but like jason I can pretty much eat and run.

Your cutback week will do you good AGF.

Teknik hope the massage helped.

Lazy day for me, stretching, core work etc. Hope the wind dies down before tomorrow morning's run!

F

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

AGF,

Hi,

Tek,

I did don't worry.  Halfords fitted a new one last night image!

-------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Getting windy here tonight again, hopefully not a repeat of last weekend.

NN - yes I am doing Paris in 14 weeks,  so just really getting back to training after a few month easy due to illness.

Non running day here due to work commitments,  but I did fit in X training and core workimage A double planned for tomorrow, and then a LSR for Sunday as I have managed to get a half day instead of my normal 10hour shiftimage

• NP..DOH I was in a rush and didnt read your post properly..I thought to myself I know no pain is your name but !!! really that would be going a bit far.And same here nice easy 6 done before work which is where I am now...honestly !! hope its not too muddy for your off roader unless you like that type of thing of course

Kaz you will love Paris if you haven't done it before ...just don't be too tempted by the wine at the final drinks station image

• NN- hope your postings aren't interfering with any life saving equipment! Lol!

Fiona- wind is NUTS here too at the moment...
  • NN - I did it this year, but can't remember seeing any wineimage

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

jason awesome splits on that wet and windy 12 miler

spark good 6 miles

OH nice cross trainingimage

NN thanks. Hope the RR went ok

NP well done on the easy run and hope the race goes/went ok

F hope you enjoyed the day off

HM good, I'll stop worrying...image

Kaz hope the double goes ok today

----

6m with the club in the mud this morning, then some sluggish strides. All ok here - managed 41m last week, and with the longish run tomorrow I should be at 45m, so I'm back on track.image

• Tek- good news there, mate! image

As we approach the end of 2012, I see that I will be around 100m down on last year, but that's ok after missing a lot of training in April and May.

6.5m recovery run in monsoon conditions here! Unbelievable how quickly the road was transformed into a river!
  • Great 15.25 in the monsoon this morning, kind of enjoyed the rainy conditions, now for some recovery time.

. A good way to end 2012 , next year is going to be a big one with my first marathon, hopefully will do it justice.
  • Looks like we'll soon need a new thread for the 2013 marathons! image

No sleep for me as I though the house was about to blow away. image 

Good to see things seem to be ok Teknik.

jason and MG1 well done on getting out in the rubbish weather.

No rain when I was out but windy. The plan was 16 with 8 at MP (whatever that is!) so did 4m and then started the faster stuff. Got that blasted stitch again and after 3m brisk had to jog 2 miles easy. Then did another 3 miles at MP before running back up the hill. Felt pretty bad near the end, think I was dehydrated as freezing cold. Must drink more today as hope to get a decent run done tomorrow. Happy enough with the run I did as I think the quality miles are bound to have some training effect!

Now must do some stretching. Any thoughts on stitches? I have been doing core work the last few days so thought maybe tired core muscles could be the cause as not something I usually get so often.

F

• Tek - No run happened today. I spent all night in the bathroom with the dreaded sick bugimage I have now finally stopped being sick, but think I may have pulled a muscle in my side as I can't move without screaming in pain.

Fiona - Hope you are feeling ok now.

• Kaz- that's terrible! Hope you feel better soon

Fiona- can't help with the stitch- rarely get them and when I do there doesn't seem to be any identifiable cause....Well done on toughing it out image

MG1- nice run to end the year image
  • Teknik well done in the mudimage nice weeks running.

Jason well done running in your river and 100miles over 52 weeks is nothingimage

MG1 Nice monsoon running image

Fiona well done on your run, stitch is a strange one but you can run through it but it's not plesent. I'm sure the speed sessions in the run will all add up come April.

(((((Kaz 1)))))

Well the Castlewellen Christmas Cracker was great fun with lots and lots of mud and some fantastic hills, me and my mate after a bit of a slow start came in 76th pair and all I can say is can I do it again tomorrowimage I managed to run the hills hard and wait at the top before we set off again so it was a 9 mile fartlek session with just over 850m climb/decent image.

• Forgot end of training week 76.97 miles running and 106x25m front crawl, base building image.

• Wild weather overnight but glorious winter morning.
    Swim around the pier in good company followed by 7.5 miles running (alone).
    Wonderful views of the hills all arounnd in soft winter sun.image
    Mishap with thermometer (checking sea temperature - 8C) ended up with further involuntary swim image
    Good running NP MG1 JSN
    Well done for toughing it out FC
    (Kaz1)

• kaz hope that pain goes away and that you are feeling a lot better.

Sounds a bit wild out there again tonight although not as bad as last night, kaz/OH is it calmer with you?

NP well done on another great run. Sounds like good fun and another nice off road one, 850m is a lot!

Hope to go off road tomorrow, part of the Great Glen Way. Normally 14 miles but will see how the legs hold out, one calf a bit niggly but I'll get the comp socks on.

F

• OH did you wear a wet suit? nice run and swim and if you didnt wear a suit your an ironmanimage

Fiona this was a great run loved every second of it and it's putting the fun back into my running, think I will do cross country next yearimage got my socks on now enjoy your  run tomorrow 15 to 17 for me tomorrow and slow and easyimage

• Well guys. I am signing out of this thread. I have stopped running in 2012 and will join the 2013 thread. image. Thanks for all your help support and guidance. Has been a good running year for me with pb's at all race distances run at some point in 2012. Possibly as I up'd mileage to 2015 miles image

See you in the new thread on Tuesday. Have a lovely new year image