Snowdonia Marathon 2012

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Haven't really heard from the party-goers yet.  This is worrying.

• TDL results page has ran out of badwidth - serves them right for allowing 200 more to run than last yearimage

• Continued....

I must admit this started to get me a bit towards the end. I was running with a welsh guy for a lot of it, who was doing his 11th snowdonia. He assured me that at the top of this incline would be a chance to relax a little and 'have a breather'...I could see he was blowing quite a bit & we passed a couple of people who were walking it.??

At the top, and about 25KM into the course, it was what I'd describe as quite undulating for about the next 10km. I was tiring, but still pushing on.??

I got to 32km and looked at my watch, I calculated that depending on how I coped with the last climb I was well on course for a sub 3:30 finish (yes!)??

I got to the last climb, the one everyone talks about, and started off ok, chugging along, but it just goes on, and on, and on some more. The support was out of this world, but I'm disappointed to say i had to 'power-walk' it a few times to just try and get myself together again before having another crack at it. I knew sub 3:30 was slipping away, it was soul destroying that hill was. but after having a firm word with myself, I knew I could still smash my pre-race target of 3:45. You reach 24 miles and you can hear the crowds from the finish line. I had to calm myself down, started getting a bit emotional at this point. The few km descent back into the village of Llanberis is so steep and so tough on the legs, I was in pain, stitch, cramp, completely exhausted??

??I turned the corner at the bottom of the descent and onto the main street where the crowds and finish line were. I had tears of joy in my eyes and spotted mand in the crowd where I gave her a thumbs up and a big smile and finally made it over the line in 3hr 36mins and a chip position of 209th. Over the moon with that. I felt over-whelmed once it was over!

??I calmed down with a cuppa and a free massage, and got back to the hotel to relax.??

Been there, done it, and got the t-shirt on as I'm typing this out!??

Will I do it again? YES

But for know I need focus on my next adventure:

IRONMAN LANZAROTE 2013
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

And Jedwards has reached his word limit.  Like it so far.

• I'm not sure where all the question marks have come from.

Stupid iPhone
  • Great report jedwards..sorry to hear about band b..it's usually me that gets landed in that predicament.great time though buddy.

Refuelled on welsh lamb Sunday dinner and apple pie.Anyone for a run?!!!
  • I had a race i would rather forget from begining to end.

My left foot was slightly inflamed last Thursday but gave me no pain or discomfort and what the heck this was to be my 18th Snowdon.

It was half way down that ridiculous miners track to Bryn Gwynant that the race decided to use four years ago that the first signs of discomfort began to show and from then on it was a lot of pain for the next 18 LONG MILES.

Surprisingly the race went quickly enough due to the fact that i know every twist and turn of it but those bloody High5 energy gels (total waste of time in my opinion) decided to make one huge mess down my front.

The whole thing exploded in my hand and even if they work they showed little effect on me but the mess was indescribeable.

I have no idea how long it took me because i was not wearing a watch or chip but i am happy just to beable to collect a rather disappointing slate coaster.

This was a special event the 30th Anniversary and it looked like all they had done was painted the no 30 with a small brush before the race.

When you consider the significant price increase for this year's race more effort could have been made on the coaster.

If this had been my first Snowdon i would have been most disappointed with it  but the coaster was part of my set of 17 and is somewhat special..

At that point i had really had enough and all i can say is that thank god i do not have a clutch pedal on my car, because i waited till i got home before removing my shoe and it was balck and blue. 

Also i have never seen Bwlch Yr Groes so dry in all the 18yrs of running the race.

We have had some rain but the place was bone dry, and my running shoes were immaculate from begining to end.

Definately a race to forget, so let's hope next years race is more enjoyable.

• well done every another great weekend,i had a fairly decent race all things considered
    hip held out to 23 miles then had to stop next 2 miles took 25minsimage

3hr 32 37 finishing time

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Why weren't you wearing a chip, PJL?  This means that you won't feature in the results and officially did not finish your 18th SNOD marathon.

Jedwards - those ??s make you sound very Welsh, that's all ...  Get yourself a tent for next year and you'll sleep soundly - unless it collapses in a storm, is stolen, or becomes full of dogs, all experiences which have happened to me.

• Why would you not wear the chip ?? On the race results it will show you as a DNF at the 2012 Snowdonia marathon .

People like to moan about the price increase etc maybe if you hang on till near the time you can get a place for a lot cheaper I got mine for 15 quid from someone wanting a quick sale .The facebook page always has a lot of people pulling out nearer the time so if it REALLY bothers you then I suggest you hang about till early September to book your place.

• Well done all of you especially chrissi I was so hoping you managed it this year great time as well. X
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    T Rex wrote (see)

Why weren't you wearing a chip, PJL?  This means that you won't feature in the results and officially did not finish your 18th SNOD marathon.

indeed it does, no 108 shows as a DNF!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Don't think PJL got number 108- that's why he didn't wear a number or a chip. Or at least he didn't wear the number given to him by the organisers, but had number 108 on his vest. Think that's right, Peter?

That means that whoever got number 108 was a DNF, which kind of adds insult to injury....
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    No chance of Snod winning marathon title this year with RW, as there's no record of the event to rate....
  • tdl site says 108 Peter Lewis , Eryri Harriers , DNF.

• I think its worth ??30 entry fee all day long. Was a great event.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    CR- fair enough image

JE- totally agree.

Obviously, I might add, because if I didn't think it was the money I WOULDN'T ENTER!!
  • why did some runners have red numberimage

• Compared to some of the other marathons out there (notably, relatively locally, Chester, Snowdonia is a bargain!! The cost of putting on these events - I'm aware of the costs of a relatively low key village event, but Snowdonia with everything that is involved (including road closures)...!? What decade are you living in PJL??

I've rated this years event on RW (as have others)

• Wow - some brilliant reports on here and well done Chrissi, I'm so pleased that you got your Snod coaster this year image.

My Snod experience is one I'd rather forget.  I developed a stitch coming down from Pen y Pass, which I then carried with me on and off for the rest of the race image.  Wanted to pull out at Beddgelert, but the encouragement from everyone on the course kept me going and I finished in a pw of 5 hours-ish.   (Don't know exact time as I lent my Garmin to a friend whose watch was broken).   This isn't the first time this has happened to me on downhill sections of a run, so looks like I need to try and find out why it's happening image  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

As usual though, a truly fab event - the organisation, support etc etc was great.  Will I be back next year??   Really don't know .........

• Evening all,

Well done to all of you. I had major goosepimples when the winner went past. Would love to take part again in 2013.

Feel as if I have run the Marathon twice over. Busy day at Pantri yesterday. Had a visit from Pete Thomas, actually, popped in 5 times. He actually feels that the Porridge cured his leg problem.. John Bach called in for Cawl, flapjack and Coffee. Ffran also and Megalily called in twice today. Bumped into Nicola Quinn's hubby on way to work this morning, he remembered me from 2 years ago!!

Was a fantastic weekend all round. Pity I missed the other forumites.

SS
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    SS- look forward to seeing you next year!

JB- thanks, found the link now and rated the race!
  • TRex - I can report that the padern lake hotel karaoke didnt happen. Instead we had to endure a dreadful country band called the outlaws who apparently have been going strong for 40 yrs. well they should have been outlawed!!! They were AWFUL!!! But we all made it out alive and well and of course as tradition dictates we tucked into some DIRTY BURGERS!! They were lush!!!!

Re my finish time I was 37 seconds inside my prediction!!! Correct me if I'm wrong TRex but I don't think anyone has got closer than that! What do I win!!?image great race for me and really chuffed to PB snod for 2 year running. And well pleased with 2nd coaster image why PJL is complaining about it I have no idea. Gold lettering for the 30th edition is a nice touch. And beats a crappy medal every time image

Well done to all. See you all next year image
  • Britnick we're famous!!! Made it on the S4C intro commentary on the startline image
  • I didn't do the marathon for a prize at the end. I did it for myself, and bragging rights till I die image

??30 well bloody spent. A weekend to remember for the rest of my life, thank you to all the organisers and fantastic marshals
  • Jd - surely that wasn't you i just saw WALKING up Waunfawr!! :-O
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    UDS- can't have been...........

image yep!
  • Good coverage as usual. John Bach and Jason D were featured quite a lot.
  • Britnick we're famous!!! Made it on the S4C intro commentary on the startline image