Snowdonia Marathon 2012

Comments

• thanks Britnick for link to photos. Have emailed alastair and asked nicely for my photo. Couldnt see any prices so presume they were free? What a guy!
  • Ultra Disco - there's a 'donate' button on Al Tye's website - http://www.fellrunningpictures.co.uk/

I think he usually suggests a fiver.  Which is good value compared to some marathon photo deals.

• Awesome deal. Thanks
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    UDS you know you want this Grim place really...
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Panad- sounds right up UDS' streetimage
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

Shall we start a list?image

Only joking, Mr Rex!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

A bit early for a list, don't you think?

I'll be there.

• Awwww.
    Don't know don't know don't know.

• I'm thinking the combination of two classic marathons next October will be on.

IoW early October and Snowdon to finish off the month nicely, sounds a good 2012.

• Hiya folks..great to read all the fantastic banter as ever on here. Rou...I knew the outcome yet I was still willing you to win as I watched the coverage last night. I could have translated for you too as I speak Welsh.

Well, what an anti climax to go back to work..no matter how you describe the event, no-one can fully appreciate what an awesome challenge it is in those conditionsimage. I still chuckle to myself as I remember literally clutching to a stone wall as I feared 'take-off' was imminent. Thanks to the guy who prised me off and held on to me till we were a little more sheltered. I fear my whole kit prep for the event was not good.. a woolly hat is not a wise choice in torrential rain and it led to all manner of problems..the big choice..do I sling it or hang on to it? Well' as it weighed about 8 pounds by Betwys Garmon, it had to goimage. There will be a sheep sporting a rather nice Hilly hat now, hope she's warm!

I'm seriously knacked today though as I'm sure everyone is. migraine attack at 4pm not helped matters.

So, what are we all up to next in the training programme for October 27th 2012?

ps TRex, glad to see you got home safely!!!image

• Hey Brer good glad you didn't get blown off the mountain, what aren't you coming to do conwy half with me in 3weeks!!
  • TR39..what's the date for that? I have Clowne Half November 27th but if it doesnt clash...OMG, what am I saying? You are a bad influenceimage Say hi to the missus from me!
  • 20th Novemberimage Mrs TR39 says hi backimage
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

My recovery run this morning was taking the terrier-ists round a 4m walk. Ok, I did run a bit and felt so much easier for doing so.

A couple of lady's came running past me, which was what started me off. I was jealous! Though I did let them go off ahead first. I've seen a few threads on RW of people having trouble while out jogging and I thought it could be taken badly as this scruffily dressed bloke in boots starts jogging behind them....

Spending the next couple of months toddling around and having fun. Sodbury Slog on the 13th. Avebury on the 20th, Tadley 4th December, all XC and all fun. Got a place at VLM (First time I've applied too) so training for that starts 1st Jan. Rough'n'Tumble sometime early Jan, Meon Plod in February, Grizzly in March. White Horse HM 1st April, then VLM 22nd.

May will be another month of toddling around

I've got the first week in June off and debating what to do with it. Toying with the idea of doing the Pennine Way. 40 or so miles a day self supported, piece of cake.....(No-one tell me otherwise!). At the end of June I've got a weekend planned with a friend to do the Welsh 3000's on the Saturday and then get driven to do the Lake 3000's on the Sunday. Not sure if I'll be walking come the end of June.

If I remember to enter Abingdon in February then training for that'll start in July, followed of course by SNOD. Apart from a few tune up races in August/September and some 10Ks sprinkled around that's my running life for the next year. And it's in print too, bu66er.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi TR, Hi Brer, Hi Mrs TR.

<waves>

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Whoo-hoo. Managed to do a post in less than 30 seconds
  • Panad - I tried to send you a msg but couldn't from my itouch as wouldn't let me click into the msg box. I think it's one of those races that you have to do with others to really enjoy it. And the number of runners on each day is staggering so I can only imagine the congestion on the course. You can see where this is going... Sorry but will have to pass up your kind offer. Hope you find someone else. Stu

trex - glad to see you made it home. I was mist worried when nicola and andrea dragged you off image funny story re Sunday morning drink! I was gutted about the extra hour as it meant an extra hour to wait for my full welsh breakfast!! I was starving even despite the 1am 'dirty burger'! Breakfast was worth the wait though image
  • Hi chimney [waves also]

I had the day off today (not that looking after to children is a day off!!!) not looking to work tomorrow image I always get the post-race blues following a big race. Anybody got any good tips for moving on...?! I actually think this forum will help by the fact that we can continue to reminisse about the race image
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    UDS no worries, just wanted to check before I offered it elsewhere image
  • TR39- you is a bad man!!! I've entered it!!! I have no fear about crashing through the final pain barrier due to bad influencesimage.

Hi Chimney..great to meet you although briefly on Saturdayimage

• 2012 cant wait ironman wales sept.snowdon oct just need to find some races between now and then
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    I think at this point I need to post a public health warning for anyone thinking about taking part in SNOD 2012...

https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer#photo/101179749195971530754/5669170644762190129/5669198173186229394

this was me following the gust of wind that blew me over at the top of the descent into Llanberis.. at the time I couldn't even work out what was bleeding,I only knew I was because i was covered in the stuff (but now seeing the pic I can understand why several marshals were asking me if i was ok and sure I wanted to continue&I suspect it'd looked even worse before I'd wiped the number clean 8-l ) no ill effects from the mouthful of mud and sheep poo I acquired in the process either,so far!

Needless to say I still standby my comment to TR39 immediately afterwards of 'that was fun,can I do it again?'

SNOD 2012-bring it on! image
  • Well that was my first marathon and now its is the only one I'll ever do. Next years aim? Sub 4. Got to lose 39 mins somewhere!
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

Mark- a great race- my first one back in 2009, but wouldn't rule others outimage

Booked my accommodation for 2012image - just have to remember to enter the race too in January! It was so much easier when the entries opened earlier!

• Everyone talks about the climbs but the hardest bit for me was the downhill into Llanberis. Thought my knees would pop. Still had enough for a heroic charge once I saw the crowds though!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    UDS - the best remedy is to send off some entries to more races.  Can't believe how much food you got through: a meal at Pete's, then a whole carrier bag full of sausage rolls, rounding off with a hot, dirty burger.
  • I think jasond eclipsed my post marathon eating!! He managed a chickpea curry and rice (Petes Eats SIZE!!) and a burger and chips in the pub! We all had 3000 calories to replace and that's the part of marathons I enjoy the most image
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    www.gobi70.wordpress.com here is my Snowdon report

Here are the mile splits

1) 6:00 - Flat down and easy
    2) 6:30 - Starts to climb
    3) 7:48 - Pen Y Pass - UP
    4) 8:24 - Pen Y Pass - tight achillies but nothing serious
    5) 8:10 - Pen Y Pass - Over the top
    6) 6:25 - Pen Y Pass - Down - All over here as everyone just ran away
    7) 6:09 - Onto Gravel and big stones, not happy
    8) 6:22 - bitching, cursing and holding back

6/7/8 should have been fast 5.xx miles but I had no confidence that my leg would hold up and I wanted to finish more than I wanted a sub3

9) 6:38 - back out onto road and met a chap called James
    10)6:37 - ran with him in his first marathon
    11)6:49 - all these miles were just rolling road
    12)6:46 - felt good except for laces feeling loose
    13)7:32 - took the hit(1.47 stationary)
    14)7:23 - steady climbs
    15)7:35 - steady climbs

16)6:48 -
    17)6:46
    18)6:48 -
    19)6:51
    20)6:38 - It's about 2.19 at this point and felt right as rain
    21)6:43 - Thought this was Waenfawr start but wasn't :¬)

16 through 21 - I should have gone harder as I could have but had settled into a nice rthymn. HR stats and my general memory of this was the running of a man out on a training jog

22)7:07 - Oh here it is
    23)8:43 - Nothing spectacular but passing people
    24)8:21 - Legs felt strong so kept pushing
    25)7:42 - Still up but flattening out onto goat path
    26)7:42 - cursing as I held back but still in 1 piece
    27)1:18 - bottomed off and jogged to the finish.

Sub 3 needed me to run 5.xx down the pass, not stand still for 1.47 sorting my laces and to run 16 through 21 about 30 seconds a mile faster. The last point is interesting as I could have gone faster.

Not sure how much faster I could go up Waenfawr as it was tough, the fact I was so fresh here must have helped me. The descent was horrific and that alone means I will NEVER do this again. In honesty if I had remembered how bad it was I would not have entered.

I have to say I admire the way you all embrace the conditions and just deal with the terrain Safe to say my next marathon will be all road and only have NORMAL hills in it.

I have still done nothing since Saturday, granted it finishes today due to coaching others but my quads are still mashed up.
  • Everything back to normal function this morning, legs included.... back to work for me too image  Its a definate "i'm in for next year"...from meimage

• Well, I'm afraid it's definitely SNOD 3 for me next year image

No race like it!!!