Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

Hi guys, 15 miles amongst the fireworks..how excitingimage

Great to hear from some folks I've not heard from for a while..SD-you on for Clowne? It'll be a week after Conwy Half so it will be a steady expeditionimage

Off to seaside with hound tomorrow..happy days.

Have a good one, anyone racing tomorrow?

• Options
    The new course is a lot better and, in my opinion, is definately quicker.
    Hitting the Marin Trail 1st thing tomorrow!
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

3:05

• jason d (4th SNOD)

3:17

• Ultra Disco Stu (2nd SNOD)

3:30

• Greg C.

3:40

• Tattooed Runner40 (3rd SNOD)
    • The Lazy Greyhound40 (8th SNOD)

3:45

• panad (4th SNOD)

3:50

• Run Jono (6th SNOD)

4:00

• BritNick (7th SNOD)
    • Mark Bryan 9 (2nd mara)
    • Midlife Crisis
    • safety pin

Also running

• Boxer1
    • brer rabbit
    • Bruce C
    • Chimney
    • Chrissi
    • Fenland Runner
    • ffRAN
    • FionaEvs 7
    • *Frodo*
    • Hail me a taxi
    • John Bach
    • Kelvyn
    • Life's Too Short (1st SNOD)
    • nicola quinn 2
    • Non Davies 2
    • Mr panad
    • #108  Peter John Lewis (18th SNOD)
    • Reydon Rover (5th SNOD)
    • Run Stuboy Run
    • runwithmysetter (3rd SNOD)
    • Sandra Williams 7
    • Snowdonia Snail
    • stilldreaming (5th SNOD)
    • T Rex (7th SNOD)
    • West Brom tom
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Welcome, Sandra W.

Andrea - an answer could be to go by train.  The race begins and ends at railway stations.  Especially if you are on your own, or you could get a railcard.  Would suggest B&B night before and after, at very least.  Camping is possible but a bit extreme perhaps.  My logistics the last time I did the event were complex, but perfect.

Excellent bonfire party tonight in the middle of a 100-acre wood.  Large fire.  Soup, mulled wine, bottled beers. An impressive fire juggler - looked incredibly dangerous, including two whips on fire whilst standing on stilts.

I don't generally run at the weekends, unless racing.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Well, if you want another list (this one's very boring) ...

2012 ultras

Jan  Gloucester 50K (road)

Apr  Connemara 39.3, Co. Galway (road) - 6:06 attempt; Exmoor coastal ultra

May  Cardiff ultra (50)

Jun  Ultra Trail SW 100 image image

Jul  Lakeland 50? (if get a place - on waiting list)

Aug  Ridgeway 85 - my favourite race

Sep  Dingle ultra (50), Co. Kerry (road)? - this event was held in 2010 but not this year - it needs more support to get off the ground.  I might start a thread to try to drum up UK support.  RO says if 100 runners will commit he will go ahead with it.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Good night with that then.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    (I wonder if 2012 thread will have some more owls?)
  • Options
    Morning, off for a mooch round Aberangell in a bit there is a perticular hill that keeps getting the better of me a battle I hope to win today. Have a great day one and all
  • Options

T REX can you add me to the list 3hrs 14 9th snowdonia many thanks

• Options

T Rex - I'm a lark, myself. Don't really know if I'm up to an Ultra but we've been dying to get to Dingle for ages....oooh sounds very tempting!!!! And it's my birthday in September. I want to do Comrades one day so could this be my first step???? Hang about - reading back, is that a 50 M or K ???

MM61 - landed you'll be there - will Mrs MM61 come too??? Go on.... sub 3 surely?

Just been for my first jaunt since last Saturday. Went up Afan Argoed, walked the dogs for 2hours, then ran 5 miles,  and boy, did it feel easy compared to last week - shows the benefits of a good rest . Glorious Autumnal weather, perfect for running (and walking). Made me wonder what Snowdon would be like on a day like today. 

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

There's some very exact times being targeted here with 51 weeks to go.

ffran - they also do a half and a full marathon for which entries are open already.  Go to dinglemarathon.ie   Got to be the most scenic marathon ever with all the cliffs and islands.  In this case you run round Eagle Mountain.  (The ultra is 50 miles.)

About your question - I don't expect we'll ever get to find out!!

• Options
    First run after Snowdon - 13 miles in beautiful sunshine - felt better than I expected, so reckon I needed the week off to recover.

Brer - hope to see you at Clowne (though not sure if I'd recognise you after all this time!). No idea what time I'll do ..... seem to have lost all speed from my legs ... but it's a good, testing course and definitely worth the trip up the M1.

Happy running everyone image
  • Options

Afternoon peeps

T-Rex the runner in the closing credits was one of my clubmates he did a really good downhill slide after but they didn't show that - he was ok though

Hi Sandra welcome to the madhouse - did you get up the hill???

6 mile run around the gold mines and waterfalls by Coed y Brenin this morning it was pretty much perfect blue sky, autumn colours on the trees, just enough squirrals to keep the dogs amused - realised how lucky i was to get to run around here all the time.image Don't know how long it took me - don't care it was just one of those days when running is fun and so worth the effort

• Options

Afternoon,

Hi Chris, I was in 2 minds to go round Gwynfynydd myself this morning. Bet it was stunning. 

Sandra 0 - Hill 2 but only stopped once rather than at least 6. First frosty run for me today. Kept bumping into mashalls for the rally next week they were putting down straw bales. Think they thought I was daft image 

• Options

ffRAN yes mrs mm61 will be there she is allways with memy coach secretary,& nurse rolled into 1
    will steve be there we going up friday morn till sunday,sub 3 imagethe only prob i got is my body is falling apart i start of the 16 week prog great but come race day i'm in bits

did a cracking west glam xc today best corse i've tried next up gwent league in bath

you def ultra material bags of determination & totally nuttsimage

• Options
    First run since SNOD this morning. Went out with 5 others from LBAC and did 8miles around Woburn. Not sure if anyone else can beat the wildlife we saw which included... 5 lions, 1 bear, 1 wolf, 4 elephants, a giraffe, a moose and 100s of deer. Why would you pay to go in when you can run around it for free! Awesome run. Could feel the calves from last weekend still. Ease back in gently this week with a lunchtime 5 miler and club run of Wed eve which is between 8-10m.

Trex - blimey a few more road ultras in your list than I was expecting! Respect to you for take that lot on. My reason for doing ultras is to go off road where the ground under foot is a lot more forgiving. Not sure I would enjoy 50k+ on road as much.

Top running to everyone this week.
  • Options

ffran, Chrissi, sd and UDS- great running, guysimage

MM61- good to catch up with you again today

WHAT A LOT OF MUD!!!image Not my first run since last weekend, but had my first taste of xc todayimage. Different isn't it?image Didn't go mad after race last week, but trudged around 9.9k in 43.30- and, God, was it tough!!! The first lap was bad enough, but the other 2 laps saw the course well dug up after out first lap and the kids and women's races earlier- it was like pictures from the First World war in places- no grass left at all and a good 4-5 inches of glue-like mud! Some of the climbs were like running up a sheet of ice! Thought about dropping out at least three times, but trudged on- what a good cv workout despite the slow paceimage. Hated it in places, but looking forward to the next one already!image Not long to wait either cos we're running in the Gwent League in Bath next Sunday! See you there too, MM61

• Options
    JD thought you said no more xc image& it was 3 large laps so you must have switched off on last lap
    well done mate on your 1st xc,i'm chuffed my back was great i strolled in 44.06
    c u in bath off road is better than road for me
  • Options

Anyone considering doing the Welsh 1000m Peak race.

Did the short course last year in hellish hot weather and burnt my legs to a crisp.

I will only attempt the long course if i can see me breaking 5 1/2 hrs but being held in early June the weather can be as unpredictable as the SM.

There are only two races in the annual calender in wales that are more challenging physically than the Snowdon Marathon and that's the long Welsh 1000m and the SAVAGE Peris Horseshoe.

Ive finished the Peris twice and its 18.2miles long but have never broken 6hrs for it.

Nothing is as physically challenging as the Peris Horseshoe and to think the course record is 3-12 is mind bending.

On my first of two attempts i could not operate the clutch pedal of my car to drive home from Llanberis.

another bonus is that you can enter on the day so if the pea soup is down you have not lost your money.

If anyone can tell me of a more gruelling race held annually in Wales than the Peris Horseshoe then i want to hear about it.

Man V Horse in Llanrwyted Wells is a walk to the shops in comparisson.

Who is going to be the first entry in for the 30th Snowdon Marathon.

I know the exact time the online entry is due to be posted so i am in with a chance. 

• Options
    I'm going to try and be 108th to enter....is that how the number system works ????? image
  • Options
    Wish I knew the exact moment that the entries went online!!! Can you IMAGINE being the first person to enter? How cool would that be? You would be able to tell everyone you met that you were the VERY FIRST person to enter the race!!!imageimageimage 
  • Options

Oh, just thought- how would you know that you were the first to enter?image

Oh well.....

• Options
    Hehe. I like your style...

Just had a good look at the 2012 events calendar. Only just realised that Lakeland50/100 entries have already been and gone!! Gutted!!! Put name on waiting list but don't hold out much hope. Britnick is this information that forgot to share with us or did entries on 1st Oct pass you by too?

PJL - nice to see you on the 2012 thread. Somehow SNOD threads wouldn't be the same without you fella. Are you going to give trex the heads up on your target time!? Go on you know you want to....
  • Options
    Oh and the peris horseshoe sounds like a lot of fun!! Will have to look that one up... If I get into UTMB then I need to find all the hills I can!!
  • Options

Hi folks, all is well with everyone 7 days later then I see. Target times already...phew. If I make as stupid kit decisions as I did last week plus stuffing too many last minute carbs the night before, put me down to as 'get around' for now please!image.

I've tried to cobble together a last minute Conwy Half training plan..having looked at some sample ones on Net..it becomes more apparent that if you are sane..you don't ever do more than that distance race. I'd forgotten the times when I thought 9 miles was a serious prospect for a LSRimage

ok- back to reality..Monday funimage

• Options
    Looking forward to SNOD 2012 . I went into the race with high expectations and wasn't disappointed.

Conwy Half next on the calendar then that's it for 2011 .

That's some race calendar TRex . Do you work full time?? I mean how can one train for so many Ultras . Good luck with them anyway .
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Andrea - that was naughty.

CR30 - I work more than full time some parts of the year, less than full time at others.  Busy periods are mid Oct - Christmas and most of all June-July (in the middle of which I will be doing the UTSW next year - don't lnow how it's going to work but it will have to somehow).

I'll be filling in with the odd little race in between those ones. If Dingle ultra doesn't come off I'll do the marathon there instead.

Not only have entries closed for Lakeland events, but waiting lists too.

• Options
    Lakeland events sell out in no time at all . I suppose if you want to do either the 50 or 100 you need to enter asap .

The entry fee however is a small fortune .I wonder if they have shares with marathonfoto with regard to costs .
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

It took me a while to decide if I wanted to do it (L50) and now I might have left it too late.  I'm relying on some DNSs which you don't really find out about until well into next year.

UDS - only max 3 are on road.  There will be plenty of off road fun in the others, I'm sure, plus during the training.  Hope to get out and about in the Brecon Beacons.

Speaking of which anyone heard from bionic bt? Our mountain man has gone very quiet.

• Options

Morning all

That was freezing!!! 4 mile run down the prom it's taking till now for my hands to defrost!! and that was with my gloves on!!image

Time for porridge now, have a great day allimage