The ultra runners tool kit

Comments

• elspeth i may look at the radlight pack as i like the sound of being able to put the things on pockets /straps around the outside within easy reach...

spen, yes northants has dodgy markers i thinkimage..do you mean the map on the event website is poor

• i will have a look ...thnk i will download an OS map and laminate it-how nerdyimage
  • The map provided in Northants ultra race packs is quite detailed, and the route is shown as a red line.  The route is shown over five pages, held together like the pages of a book. 

Convenient to use, but doesn't fare too well if it rains. 

The year I ran, it rained big time!

• image...5 PAGES!!!!??????..Ok im def laminating it then lol
  • We are talking small pages, easily held in one hand. 

It is much easier than handling an OS map. 

Have a look at it before you buy OS maps. 

It is probably all you need. 

• Ben Davies 15 wrote (see)

We are talking small pages, easily held in one hand. 

It is much easier than handling an OS map. 

Have a look at it before you buy OS maps. 

It is probably all you need. 

spen...are you taking note?image
  • Have the booklet and take an OS map as back up? 

So that means we will have to enter this before we recce it to get the booklet lol.

• Quite boggy along the TT route yesterday, so trail shoes would be a must a anyone considering this one.
  • spen71 wrote (see)

Have the booklet and take an OS map as back up? 

So that means we will have to enter this before we recce it to get the booklet lol.

i think thats best plan spen...do we only have access to the booklet once we have entered thenimage

• blimey its like the krypton factor innit?image
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread.  I'll chuck a few ideas in.  Think I've my kit just about down to a fine art for events up to 100 miles.   Except shoes!!!!  Continual problems with fit, not enough movement, too much movement, no lateral support, blisters, mashed toes...  It's expensive experimenting with so many shoes but I'm still after that elusive "right" shoe.
  • Me too T Rex, though only a recent and short ultra runner, can't find a trail shoe that fits rightimage.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

First of all to comment on Debra B's comprehensive list.

lubricant - I'd go for Bodyglide rather than petroleum based products - saves rotting/staining your clothes.

headtorch - 3xAAA-type perfectly adequate.  Petzl do good ones.  Carry spare batteries.  I also carry the the amazing Petzl eLite (tiny headtorch) as a spare and also so I can see to change the batteries in my main headtorch.  You might not be under a street light at the time!!

map case - check out Ortlieb's waterproof map cases.  Their mobile phone case is pretty rubbish btw.  There is a map size one but I use the A4 document case.  I plot the route on OS 1:25000 copied on A4 sheets.  The case carries up to about 10 sheets for long events, or you can arrange it so you have route description showing on one side, map on the other if it's that sort of event.  These cases are fully waterproof and flexible - you can roll them up in a tube and carry them in your hand.

jacket - events generally ask for full body cover which means waterproof jacket (with a hood) and bottoms.  Unless you want to fork out for lots of different jackets I'd go for waterproof.  OMM Kamleika are good - the fabric is fully stretchy throughout and silent which I like.  A bit clammy inside though.  It is very breathable but not the most breathable on market.  That said my waterproofs stay in the bottom of my pack usually - weather has to be diabolical before I put a jacket on, and trousers only at night.  A good windproof top keeps you warm enough in all but the wettest conditions.

buff - essential item.  Can be worn in some many different ways - especially useful is with it down the nack of your neck when v. sunny.  I use it to give myself impromptu showers in streams, etc when hot.

• Some good observations T rex, but I will query your observation about head torches. 

I think that on the longer ultras where you have to run through the night (I know that you do these), sheer power counts for something.  There are tree roots to trip over, canals to fall into, and sharp changes in topography.  Your head torch becomes your visible universe for a significant period. 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

packs - haven't got massive experience here because I now have a super pack.  I have used Raidlight - their products seem well designed but they can have reliability/durability issues.  Not tried OMM or Saloman but they have good reviews.  Inov8 packs are quite good BUT they are let down by their straps which chafe your shoulders badly, or wear through your favourite top image.  Their waist bladder system works quite well - a good place to have your water, but the bladders are a pig to clean and especially dry.  Inov8 bladders are also made by Deuter whose bladders - although giving you great tasting water - seem to crack and split very easily.  Has anyone else had problems with Deuter bladders?

The pack I use now is a dream. it's the Aarn 11L "marathon magic".  It's very unconventionally designed and even looks odd when wearing it.  The top of the pack seems a long way from your back and looks as if it would move around a lot.  But the experience of wearing it is something else.  In fact you hardly know you are wearing it, even with a heavy load in it.  it's so comfortable. It doesn't compromise normal running gait at all or sway about.  It's got a crossover-style fitting at the front which I'm not sure how well would suit the ladies image

There's a few niggly things with it, of course.  The one strap to do up the bag isn't long enough so you can't actually fill the bag - perhaps that's intentional??  There is a pocket inside for a standard 2L bladder but it's stretchy and the bladder bounces around all over the place.  Needs customising.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I've found 11L perfectly large enough.  Wouldn't go for anything bigger than 15L unless carrying tent/sleeping mat, etc.

Packs in my experience have the annoying habit of making your shirt ride up your back.  I solve this by also wearing a running belt which has the advantage of having a couple of bottle positions (280 ml) at the front for energy drink.  Fuelbelt products have gone downhill and currently using a Nathan 4-bottle/1 pouch belt.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Trying to think of other kit...

• shoe gaiters are good idea to prevent the everlasting emptying your shoe out - Inov8 do debris socks (gaiter and sock all in one) as well as ordinary gaiters. I've seen some incredibly girly bright pink ones (?brand) - not on my feet I hasten to add.
    • change of socks x however many pairs you might need depending on the length of event.  I usually take a couple of pairs.

Talking about socks I've recently stated using ToeToe, individual toe, socks which seem to look after my feet a bit better.  A pig to get on though.  You wouldn't want to change into another pair of these mid-race.

• First Aid kit, often on event kit lists. Not my strong point.  Keep it small.
    • Important tip - even if an event does bag drops ALWAYS keep your car keys/£/ccs/train tickets, etc on you at all times.  Drop bags/own bags have been known to go missing with disastrous results.
    • Keep all your stuff organised and dry using dry bags, e.g. Exped.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I'd appreciaiate anybody else's comments or feedback on any of that lot, or suggestions.

Haven't mentioned food.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Ben D - the Petzl I use is quite new and extremely bright in its max setting - I think it's meant to be the brightest 3xAAA LED torch on the market.  The Tikka XP2.  Check it out.  Even got a whistle built into the strap! Only 85g.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    lol about avoiding canals!  Unfortunately on one run I was in a position where I had to swim across a canal about 4.00 a.m.  Glad I had dry bags then!  Put headtorch round my neck so I wouldn't lose it if it fell off my head.  Could just about see where I was going OK.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Sorry to go on a bit ...

I have to say I do like ultrarunning and would enjoy it more if I could find a footwear solution.

• T rex

The footwear problem is down to you having three toed feet of considerable size!

Plus, you are dragging your tail on the floor, where a T rex is meant to hold it out behind them self for balance!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

You could have a point there.  Must address those issues.

It's a pain having such short arms as well - it's very hard to reach round your back to get those drinks bottles ...

But 8" teeth are very useful for opening those wretched gel wrappers.

• we had head torches last year for the beacons ultra.......i didn't know that my OH had also packed a little hand torch.which provided brilliant because the fog in the night was so think up top over the gap road that the light from the headtorches was useless to see our feet..........the ground is so treacherous there that it stopped all attempts at running until we got off the mountain......

the heattorch light just bounced off the fog.......image

• What are people's thoughts on treking poles for ultras?

I've never used them, but I'm open to anything that may help when going over 26.2, for example, I've never listened to music while running, but I'm thinking about it for ultras, to help when things get bleak.

• i don't use music for any off road running.......i listen to nature and enjoy the views.............

trekking poles are a bit controversial............last year in the lakeland 50 I had pole envy of anyone using them on the hills...........so I went and bought them............I have used them since and think they are great.I only use them for the big uphills.........made a difference to this years lakeland 50

whether people think they are cheating or not...i don't care........i respect the rules of the race organiser.......if they are allowed i use them happily.......if they are not allowed then i wouldn't take them...as then i would consider it cheating to avoid the rules of the race.......

• Thanks Seren, good reply. I've not used music yet either, but I'm thinking I might like it for my walking breaks. I think I'll try out the poles, what ones do you use?
  • Mountain king trail Blaze ones..............they fold up and fit in the pole part of my rucksac easily......they are light weight but quite sturdy......