Options

The ultra runners tool kit

Comments

• Options
    Tiago Hefner 2 wrote (see)
    Thanks Seren, good reply. I've not used music yet either, but I'm thinking I might like it for my walking breaks. I think I'll try out the poles, what ones do you use?
    i too Tiago am considering ipod for really long runs, have never run with music for same reasons as seren ..but i imagine it can seem monotonous when out on LSR alone..image..im still considering it but not really keen..its just not me as a runner and i hate fliippin wires!!
  • Options

loulabell........i used to use music for long runs but since going off road,,,,,,,,,,,,,they never seem boring......I keep on looking for different tracks and different places to run so although i sometimes get lost...i never get bored

if you were planning on running the same offroad track again and again maybe worth it..........but the beauty of offroad is the discovering new places and sights you never knew where there......ruins in the middle of a forest.....or old kilns........old railway tunnels half blocked up.......

• Options

I prefer to run without music but realise that it can help out at times

My major concern on an ultra is that music can fool you into running faster than planned which can easily backfire 15 hours later

I also like to chat with everyone in races and find that comfortable chatting pace is a very good average pace for anthing over 40 miles

• Options
    seren nos  wrote (see)

loulabell........i used to use music for long runs but since going off road,,,,,,,,,,,,,they never seem boring......I keep on looking for different tracks and different places to run so although i sometimes get lost...i never get bored

if you were planning on running the same offroad track again and again maybe worth it..........but the beauty of offroad is the discovering new places and sights you never knew where there......ruins in the middle of a forest.....or old kilns........old railway tunnels half blocked up.......

yes thats a good point seren, i did a different route last weekend and it really helped a lot..i love not having music and just enjoying headspace and quiet so i dont really think music is ever going to be for me...also i agree with veggieboys point on it making you run faster or out of rhythm...bad enough on a short run getting out of pace, but on a longun---oo dear-disasterimage
  • Options

Trekking poles are controversial in ultra running, because some people see them as providing an unfair advantage.  They are undeniably effective because they take approximately 40% of the weight off your feet.  As an ultra runner I am obviously going to be a strong walker, but I still have trouble keeping up with non runners using poles when we go up Snowdon.  Some races prohibit the use of poles, while others recommend them. 

I have never used any sort of music, either during training or during an event.  I would rather experience the run. 

• Options
    i wonder what the ratios are between ultra runners who train/run without music versus runners who train/run lower distances without music............image
  • Options
    Just to add, using an iPod doesn't just mean music.   I rarely, if ever, listen to music while running, but listen to books or podcasts instead.  This is particularly useful when running similar routes repeatedly or when stuck in the gym.
  • Options
    That sounds a good idea rosemary.......as you say running familiar routes can make it boring without some helpimage
  • Options
    Hi All, really good thread. Doing my first Ultra in December, Brecon 40.

For a sack I have gone with the Invo8 Race Elite 15, really cheap and very light. Does not take a bladder. However, was concerned about the tube freezing in very cold conditions, so went with 2 bottles attached to the front instead. Easier to see how much you are drinking as well.

Elete is really good. However, rather mixing it with the water I prefer to squirt a bit in my mouth and then drink. Nunn tablets are also good, but fizz a bit. Dropped one in a bottle after filling it up and the increased pressure caused it to leak.

Food wise, Mule bars are really good and so in the Banana Soreen loaf.

Head torches I have loads of cheap Yellowstone ones I brought for my teams at the Thunder Run. Considering they only cost £5 they performed as well if not better than more expensive ones some people had brought. I took one apart and connected it to a tri number belt so I could have one on my head and around my waist pointing at my feet. Worked really well.

Arm selves someone suggested cutting up old tights. Not tried it but could be a good cheap option.

Gloves are always an issue. Like the Adidas thin ones I have as they have a long cuff and cover your wrist. Also have a pair of Gul sailing gloves which are great, very warm and not too bulky.
  • Options
    i may look at that pack too james a si think i prfer the bottles to bladders...like you say wasy to see how much is left...tights may work for sleeves but i reckon would lose their elasticity after a short while or a few ears.nike do some for not much on ebayimageim going for those
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Trekking poles = cheating sticks.

• Options
    you can get them for £6 from lidl.or is that aldi.i always confuse them
  • Options
    Nick L wrote (see)

Trekking poles = cheating sticks.

lol...hmm..have to admit, i dont see how they fit into the term 'ultrarunning' and i dont think i would us thm....but im sure they are useful...lolimage
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    most if not all the people at UTMB (mont blanc) will use them (and the Europeans know a thing or two about whether they are useful!)
  • Options

Hi James! Good to hear from you, not done for a long time.image How have you been doing?

Good luck with the first ultra, sounds like a good one.

Entry in for Highland Fling last night but alas not able to do "devil of the Highlands" in Aug which is the one I'd really like to do as can't muster a support teamimage.

Oops this is meant to be the equipment thread, never mindimage

• Options

yes i think the ultra tool trhead and the newbie one are getting all mixed up...doesnt matter thoughimage....i just post whatever on eitherimage....

nick , yes im sure they are useful, somhow they seem more valid other countriesimage

• Options
    What about shoes? Can I wear them?
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

elspeth - Fling is by far the better event.  Devil o' the Highlands as well as needing this wretched and unnecessary motorised support, although the scenery is great, goes over terrible terrain, 40+ miles of smashed stones partly because the route is used for scrambler bike events.  They've tried to "resurface" sections of it but using tons of sharp, little stones which has made it even worse to run on.  The two times I've done the northern half I've really not enjoyed the underfoot conditions at all.

Can only see poles as being of any use if a lot of uphill, so would use them in the Alps, etc, if I ever went there.  No need for them in UK.  Another thing to carry and they're a pain to other runners near you.

You could see them as cheating.  But then taking on energy drinks could be seen as cheating.  In the early Olympic marathons you weren't even allowed to take on water.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Yes, I suppose you could consider wearing shoes as a kind of cheating ...
  • Options
    Strewth, next you'll be telling me off for that time I caught the bus at mile 20.
  • Options
    Never used poles till the UTMB and am now a full convert. If you are taking part in any ultra with steep climbs and even more importantly steep slippery descents then poles can really save your life. Its on the descents that you have a real advantage almost to the point where they could be described as part of your safety kit in adverse conditions.
    On the subject of headtorches The Alpkit Gamma does everything a Myo does at a fraction of the price (not to mention that my Myo failed at dusk on the UTMB which insist on two head torches!)
  • Options

T Rex - i still would like to do the Devil, having done part of it last year as the S2S ultra, higher ground was covered in snow and ice (November) and it was my first ultra though only just over marathon distance. Not really sure why it can't be done as an unsupported event though, it's a bit much to expect supporters to come with me from Orkney if they don't are just going to be hanging around all day.image

But fling it will be then!

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hmm, still not convinced really, ian b.  At speed on a descent they've only got to snag in a cavity and you could take a serious tumble.  They're of most use to hill walkers to help distribute the load of a heavy pack.

Mind you I haven't done serious events like UTMB.

Tiago H - that was you, was it?  No, you are supposed to self-perambulate round the course, with or without shoes, food, drink (or poles).

• Options
    using a headtorch sounds like cheating to me...........image
  • Options
    Hi T rex it was the folks without the poles taking the tumbles. If a pole gets stuck you have to drop it thats why you should not use the wrist loops on the down hills.
    having said that I agree about the french especially when there are about 2000 of them all jostling at the start of the race!